1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you religious?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Blackenglish2017, May 26, 2017.

1. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

@Icarium and @Buzz Lightyear, you seem to be describing something different to the superstructure that I am referring to. Love is an emotion and can come from the mind, so the "truths that cannot be fully grasped by the intellect" can be from emotion, or at least that is how I believe those lines are to be interpreted. Buzz, when you are talking about the distinction between knowledge and intellect, these 2 also come from the mind. But in Buddhism there is the teaching that there is literally something beyond the mind. Eg, the mind cannot observe itself. But there is a reality outside the conscious mind, that can observe the mind, eg. I thought this is what you were referring to being present in Christianity, but you are describing something very different.

2. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Yes, there is something beyond the mind.... and the mind is akin to this reality.

The mind can observe itself, in forms of limited self-knowledge, but not totally.

The mind has a sense of totality, which is intuited in experiences of the 'sublime'.

So the mind has a foot in both worlds so to speak, in this one and in a supersensible/ intelligible world. This enables faith but is not the actual ground for faith. It is more like anticipation... with the consummation coming with belief in revelation as communicated through the Church. Desire, rational desire, is absolutely central in this process.

Orthodoxy is not emotionalism, irrationalism, or mysticism. Nor is it rationalism. I'd say it's more like a rational desire and faith - Augustine's 'believe in order to know'. From the human perspective, that is.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017