1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Avoiding subtle/brief psubs in entertainment

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by mcrcvrng, Nov 18, 2016.

1. mcrcvrng

mcrcvrng Fapstronaut

Does anyone have strategies? I'm thinking of catching a movie in the theater tomorrow, Arrival which is rated PG-13 but I'm just curious what people do other than go by the rating and such, not just with movies but other stuff. (assuming you're not even avoiding this kind of entertainment altogether)

2. I breathe slow, deep breaths and meditate until it (the demon, aka the p-sub) goes away. I focus on what I feel into my body and what I think, and see. Trying to be aware of it while at the same time looking at it objectively. So if I feel tingly in my dingly I focus on it and say to myself (in my head, not out loud) "feeling", when I see something I find arousing I say to myself "seeing" until the scene ends, at which point I focus on my breath and say to myself "breathing". That's a type of awareness meditation I do.

What it does is it helps to dissociate the feeling from YOU. It's not YOU who are horny, it's just a feeling and it will pass. At first it might not make sense to focus on something that you do not want to feel. But it trains the mind. When you learn to see things like this eventually it becomes easy to sit with discomfort without acting on it and it becomes impossible to get triggered by something.

Also, if you suppress what you feel you bring that energy down inside of you. And sooner or later it will brake out. You might have a wet dream that night or a strong urge later that day. But when you feel it out right then and there the energy is dissipated. So it does not come back later. Or if it does then not so strongly.

Maybe it is a little bit advanced technique for some. Because it involves not running from p-subs (or feelings we don't want) but facing them and looking them in the eye. But ultimately it's what we should be going for. Because we can't avoid triggers for rest of our life. And we can't get rid of our sexual nature. So eventually we have to learn to not be afraid from that place of arousal. To be with it without it being our master. To walk with it without it leading us. Which is the only way we can be truly free.

Maybe you are not ready for this. But either way start doing mindfulness meditation now, if you aren't already, so eventually you would be.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2016
    WalkingForward likes this.
  3. This website gives detailed information on why a movie gets its rating. You can decide if you can handle the movie.
    http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

4. douggie1962

douggie1962 Fapstronaut

Saw 'Arrival' and it was pretty safe. And it was also pretty good -more cerebral than stuff blowing up.

5. mcrcvrng

mcrcvrng Fapstronaut

Actually I am familiar with this, I was asking a general question for the sake of discussing the topic - thanks for mentioning it.

6. Sure thing. I ain't missing a single opportunity to preach this shit! It does wonders!