1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Best methods for breaking free of the addiction?

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Do all to the glory of God, Dec 16, 2020.

Of these 10 physical/health methods, which helped you most against your PMO/MO addiction? (Pick 3.)

1. 1. Stop drinking alcohol

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. 2. Stop drinking caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3. Exercising

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. 4. Refrain from spicy foods

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. 5. Refrain from pungent herbs (garlic, onion, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. Cold showers

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. 7. Refrain from animal foods (meat, eggs, dairy)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. 8. Well-regulated sleep schedule

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. 9. Wearing a chastity belt or jeans+belt, e.g. at night

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10. Mind control

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Many things are touted here as being beneficial. The polls here are limited to 10, so this is my list. Did some of these bring you success? Pick your top three and vote!

2. Peter.Parker10

Peter.Parker10 Fapstronaut

There are definitely good things to add to your daily life like working out or improving your sleeping time. However, improving yourself, your thoughts, your self-control, and becoming a better person is what will eventually make the difference... Also, I found a good coach, so if you can find one is another thing you can do.

3. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

My top 3 are not on your list.

1. Therapy- getting my brain straight, stopping the 'stinking thinking'.

2. Quality healthy honest relationships and connections.

3. Turning it over to God. Letting Him work in my life.

Alot of the list are helpful but not fixes.
    "You can't apply an external solution to an internal problem."

4. I actually have another list of 10 things coming that deal more with the mental side--this list covered physical aspects, and, like it or not, they allow only ten items in a poll here. But I thought I'd give this poll a bit of a chance before introducing the next one.

God bless.

5. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

This is pretty cool, for me it was exercising, and it’s now mind control “meditation”.

6. Monkeybear

Monkeybear Fapstronaut

Exercising is good because you’re transferring your sexual energy and doing something good for your body

Mo1989 and ruso like this.
  7. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I am intrigued by the inclusion of: Refrain from spicy foods. :eek: I have never heard this before. Why would it help? :confused:

If this were true, all our Indian friends would be doomed. :(

metobefree likes this.
  8. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

No super spicy curry for them *evil laughter*!

Mo1989 likes this.
  9. Monkeybear

Monkeybear Fapstronaut

is there any science behind not eating spicy food lol

10. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

LMAO! :D

11. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

Right it would choke them just by thinking about non-spicy food but maybe it would stop only them from fapping or maybe the initiator of this post is a comrade from india :)

12. Mo1989

Mo1989 Fapstronaut

No there isn't. It could only be seen as reward for our indian comrades for not scumbing to fappin :p

13. During my period of total abstinence from orgasm, when I would eat spicy food, the next day my libido would rise considerably and I would feel some epididymal hypertension. The reason for this is that the spice irritates the bowel, and may increase blood flow to the nether regions. This irritation elevates the lower passions. A friend of mine used to claim peanut butter had a similar effect for him.

Buddhists believe that there are five "pungent herbs" to avoid in order to prevent increased passions. Their list includes garlics, leeks, and onions--which is why I put them separately on the list for our Buddhist friends.

It's interesting that the "cold shower" therapy that gets so much attention on this forum has not so many votes (at least, so far) for being effective.

14. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

If that is your experience, fair enough. But my experience does not concur. I have not found any correlation between spicy food and being horny. Spicy food is extremely good for the body. From your point of view, do you think Indian members of this community are at a disadvantage from their natural diet. From my experience, I think not.

15. I think it is important to note that I never noticed this effect until I was separate from my wife and my every urge seemed to be heightened considerably. It is also highly likely that if you have other things affecting you, such as alcohol, the spice may be sufficiently in the background as to be seemingly unnoticeable. But I can certainly vouch for it having an effect. Because tolerating the urges with no legitimate outlet for them seemed like torture to me, I chose rather to avoid the spicy foods. When I say "spicy," by the way, I refer more specifically to things like black pepper, white pepper, and cinnamon. I'm not referring to fresh hot peppers of the jalapeño family. For me, the jalapeños, onions, garlic, etc. had no effect.

16. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I grind black pepper on everything I eat. :rolleyes: I cannot get enough of it, haha! :p

Mo1989 likes this.
  17. In that case, you would have no way of knowing what it's doing to you. In order to know, you'd have to try abstaining from it for awhile in order to be able to compare the difference. :) If you always eat it, it's just part of the "background noise" for you.

18. Reverent

Reverent Fapstronaut

I recognize this is a list physical practices, it just seems that the post title is alluding that this narrow list of actions will/could cure addiction.

Again all your list are helpful, but none will break you out of addiction.

~Peace

metobefree likes this.