1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Calvinism and Reformed Theology Warning!!

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. Hey all, I would love to kindly debate any topic. NoFap has helped me think about God so much. I'm very grateful.

I'm a reformed protestant and use the Westminster confession of faith. Do Catholics use a confession?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  2. disdude90

disdude90 Fapstronaut

The main source for doctrinal beliefs of the Church are found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Scripture is the main source, but the Catechism is the interpretation of the teachings of the faith.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  3. Yes, same for reformed as well. Welcome to the thread!

disdude90 likes this.
  4. disdude90

disdude90 Fapstronaut

A great source for understanding what Catholics believe is found at: https://www.catholic.com/
    These are great Catholic apologists who understand both sides of the argument. Tim Staples is a former Protestant who is a great resource. I really just identify as a Christian. I like both protestantism and Catholicism. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  5. Does your theology state that the Pope speaks for God?

6. Oh yes totaly, we reformed prod think of a visible church and an invisible church

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Jeff Boyder

Jeff Boyder Fapstronaut

This is a very sensitive topic, and I'll try not to go too far as to offend, but I'm here to speak truth. I remember a girl in Europe who had been possessed by I think 23 demons, and she went to exorsisms everyday for about two years. Everyday the demons would be forced to speak the truth under the power of Jesus, and they did. On multiple occasions Protestants claimed that they could cure her, and they tried. Whenever they would pray to the girl to exorsise her (I'm sorry if I'm spelling it all wrong, I'm just trying to get my point across), the demons would laugh at them and mock them, saying that they themselves had helped create those religions, and that those prayers were their own. It's a completely true story, but I'm so sorry that I can't actually produce any articles on it. You'll just have to take my word on it. Join the Catholic faith, it's called the universal church for a reason you know. It's like a statement really, kinda like saying, let's all stand together against the demons and evil spirits of this world and walk together to heaven. It really is universal. There is only love here.

patmandu5555 and Tryin' Hard like this.
  8. Tryin' Hard

Tryin' Hard Fapstronaut

That's a very broad question so I'll try to answer as specifically as I can.
    We believe that the Pope is the Vicar of Christ on Earth, that is, he is the successor of Peter and is to lead the church on Earth in the person of Christ... as the rock the church is built on. As such, when there is an important clarification that needs to be made to Church's teaching, there are specific instances that the Pope is safeguarded from error by the Holy Spirit as has been promised in Holy Scripture. This article (https://www.catholic.com/tract/papal-infallibility) is probably the best explanation out there. I really suggest you read it and would love to hear your thoughts.

I need to be clear though - although the Pope is called to act in the person of Christ, because he is a person with free will he too sins and makes mistakes. We've had several really unholy popes in the past. The church acknowledges this and as such there is only one instance in church history when the Pope officially spoke ex cathedra: in God's place as head of the church. We are very aware of the difference between the Pope's personal opinions and the times he speaks for God. The pope can make mistakes when he's not speaking for God.

I hope I've been helpful and if you have any questions or if I miscommunicated at all I'd be happy to clear things up. Cheers and struggle on,
    Tryin'

hookko and Jeff Boyder like this.