1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Christians give it a rest ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Dake1963, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Dake1963

Dake1963 Fapstronaut

A slightly provocative heading, but I want to post a sensitive and gentle post.

Some Christians on this site talk about the role of God in their lives in helping them to overcome PMO. I think that this is absolutely fine. If that is how you understand things, then that is how you understanding things. If you didn't mention the importance of God in your life, then it really wouldn't be an honest post.

But some Christians on here will finish their posts with unrelated comments, such as 'Let us all Pray for Jesus' love'.

I would encourage you to think about the possible harm this could do. If someone comes across this site for the first time, they might get the impression that it is some sort of religious fundamentalist front. In fact, I suspected this for about 15 mins. If a first-timer is not religious and is genuinely having issues with PMO, then they might turn their back on this site - 'religious fundamentalists, not for me' might be their reaction.

I think this would be a great shame, because I think this site is awesome. So, although it might make you feel better to put non-relevant sayings at the end of your posts, please think of the actual harm it might be doing in putting people off.

Thank for reading.

2. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

As a religious person myself, I agree.

Every time you write something, you should keep in mind the audience. If a thread is of a rational discussion on the nature of religion etc that is fine; those that are not religious but curious may choose to read it, or they may not.

But in more general threads, where a religious person is posting, they should keep in mind that mostly non-religious people will be reading it. If you place explicitly religious material here, it is done tactlessly and in poor taste. Why? Because you are not considering the nature of your audience... and you will simply be annoying them.

We should avoid proselytizing here. Though of course it is quite another thing to couch your language in a way that may appeal to the intelligence of your audience.:rolleyes:

3. Thanks a lot. I beginn to feel sympathy for somebody who calls himself Christian. :)

Buzz Lightyear likes this.
  4. LivinginRecovery

LivinginRecovery Fapstronaut

Hi @Dake1963. I too thought this when I first arrived here and I was put off and thought about leaving. I was lucky in that I had hit rock bottom and so there was no place really else to go. I'm glad I stayed however because if I had left I would have missed out on so much incredible support and I wouldn't have even begun the process of recovery let alone got this far down the road towards healing from PMO addiction.

I totally agree.

Again, I totally agree. I have only been here for just over a month or so but I have already encountered a kind of "You can only get well through belief" sort of sentiment and that's clearly not true. I have watched as people have prayed in the shoutbox to Jesus and then the next day they're back on Day 0 again and then again and again and again. Religious belief does not connote a greater chance of recovery, I believe it's the mindset that does.

5. Thanks so much. I am still considering leaving this site because as soon as you question if the imagined God is a man or a woman you are asked to leave the (non-religious) forum. My religion is kindness (as the Dalai Lama said about his religion) and we should respect each other as human beings doesn't matter if somebody is religious or not.

6. Well, they could include that phrase in their signature. That way, the people who visit nofap (and aren't members) won't be able to see it.

7. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I agree Christians sometimes have trouble reading their audience and knowing when to say what, and I've tried to keep my religious ranting to the appropriate threads. I think it'd be hard to mistake this forum for a fundamentalist Christian one, though. A cursory look at the thread titles or their contents reveal a diversity of views and opinions.

8. mac_walker

mac_walker Fapstronaut

I've noticed this. I think religious posts and comments should be posted in respective religious groups.

Currently there 8 religious groups (alphabetical order) :
    1. Atheist and Agnostic
    2. Buddhist
    3. Christian
    4. Hindu
    5. Jewish
    6. Latter Day Saints
    7. Muslim
    8. Roman Catholic

Lets maintain secular fabric of our NoFap community.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    LivinginRecovery likes this.
  9. FriendlyGuitarist

FriendlyGuitarist Fapstronaut

Maybe we should have a section on this forum just for religious people so we can discuss about faith and what not there? Then stick to the secular parts of the forum as it is.
    That might help.

LivinginRecovery likes this.
  10. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I, for one, cherish the ideas of people from all walks of life and faith. I think that it is only through interaction with each other that we can hope to learn and grow. If we only surround ourselves with people that agree with us, then we stagnate. I see we all have at least one thing in common, and should be united in our struggle against addiction.

11. I would say I'm a Christian and I hope I don't come across like that. I've never tried to proselytize here. But I have started some religious discussion like why are people Christians (I also started a thread on the same subject for Muslims and atheists), because I find discussions and debates on theology interesting. But I do hate it when Christians over spiritualize things and I think it's wrong to say you need to be religious to overcome addictions.

Spiff likes this.
  12. El Conquistador

El Conquistador Fapstronaut

I totally agree with this. I'm a Muslim and think that praying to God is my strongest tool against PMO and against depression. But I also see myself as a secularist. Whenever I write about my beliefs, I usually add at least one sentence like "now of course everyone has different beliefs about these things" or "there's more than one right way of doing this".

It would simply not be appropriate to write "Allah is great and the only solution" under every post because everyone has different beliefs.

Here in Germany we have a saying which goes like this: "Many ways lead to Rome". We have to respect the right of each and every person to choose his individual way.

Spiff and Deleted Account like this.