1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Sleep... Ever.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Belching_Booch, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Belching_Booch

Belching_Booch Fapstronaut

Hey everyone, as I'm typing this I'm only on three and a half hours of sleep. I've been on this journey for about six months now, with many ups and down, but every time I had a relapse, I'd start nofap right back up again. I was determined to defeat the pmo demon. Anyway here I am at 29 days (longest streak being 34) and the same issue persists. I can't sleep. Now, I know the extra energy needs to be released, which is why I work out almost every night. I lift 5-6x a week, and do cardio/meditation every day. I'm at the gym for over two hours each night, and yet I still sleep like shit. The past week has been the worst. I been averaging about 5 hours a night... Yesterday I went to sleep at 11.30, woke up at 2, fell back asleep at 6am, and woke up at 7. I'm currently getting ready for work and am absolutely exhausted. Weird thing is, I'll get energy later on in the day, but surely this can't be healthy? Especially for somebody who is strength training and needs recovery. What can I do to help? I already meditate almost every night.

Abzu and blacklabel92 like this.
  2. Sorry to hear that pal. Of course, not sleeping as much is not healthy. But at the same time the right amount of sleep is different for each person. Your body will let you know what that time is.

Last year I was having massive sleeping problems. Some nights, I would get no sleep at all. Or not fall asleep until after 5am, or get up in night and take 3 hours to get back to sleep. The weird thing is, bad sleep makes bad sleep more likely. I have suffered from insomnia most of my life and it always hits me in bouts. The harder you try to sleep, the less likely it is.

There are the obvious things which I am sure you may know that come under 'sleep hygiene' - ie no computer/phone before bed, room not too hot, no caffeine after 3pm etc. If you can't sleep in the night, get up and do something. For instance I have a target of walking steps in the day so if I can't sleep i'll go out and do 1,000, it feels nice to be knocking that off my target for next day.

What has worked for me so far is melatonin. I was taking it before bed, but I shifted it to 7pm and so far this has made a real difference.

3. V∧DΞR

V∧DΞR Fapstronaut

From Health.Harvard.edu

'Traditionally, experts have recommended not exercising at night as part of good sleep hygiene. Now a study published Oct.19,2018, in Sports Medicine suggests that you can exercise in the evening as long as you avoid vigorous activity for at least one hour before bedtime.'

Reason why the above is true: Going to bed with an elevated core temperature from a nighttime workout may make it hard to sleep. (From Spartan.com)

Note:
    Some other sites I found say, that one mustn't exercise at least 3 hours before sleep.
    Some sites say that it is a popular belief that exercise before sleeping will make you tired, which is not true.

TL;DR
    Try testing by changing your exercising timings to afternoons or early evenings if you really want to exercsise near the end of the day. Else, exercise in the morning.

MY Tip: Take a warm bath 2-3 hours before bed. I've experience better sleep when I take bath at 7PM and sleep by 11PM/12AM. I don't know much about the exercising part tho.

I am not a health professional. Most of the info are from the internet.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    SickSicko likes this.