1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Consumer culture.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SpaceUnicorn, Feb 5, 2021.

1. SpaceUnicorn

SpaceUnicorn Fapstronaut

Hello - today I bought a pair of Doc Martens. Why? My blundestones are good but sometimes you need a pair of boots that you can lace up tightly and really go y'know?

But aside from that utility function (which is real they are shoes after all and I'm going to wear them damnit) there is also the fashion statement and the consumer culture. So I also like that they make me want to start a union. It also makes me want to fruitlessly contact the Queen (https://www.royal.uk/contact-us) once again begging her to end the monarchy as it is a drain on tax payer money and the British people have chosen democracy.

With this all in mind does anyone know how to fight consumer culture and become a bit more thrifty? I like the ideals of my grandparents which is literally have everything until it has broken so many times that even the repair man thinks he or she likes the business but feels bad fixing whatever is broken.

Any advice?

Thank you.

2. SpaceUnicorn

SpaceUnicorn Fapstronaut

Gets you up and gets you out
    But how long can you keep it up?
    Gimme Honda, Gimme Sony
    So cheap and real phony

She's seen the ads, she thinks it's nice
    Better work hard - I seen the price
    Never mind that it's time for the bus
    We got to work - an' you're one of us
    Clocks go slow in a place of work
    Minutes drag and the hours jerk

(Poetry stolen from The Clash - the Magnificent Seven)