1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cured?

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by History, May 6, 2015.

1. History

History Fapstronaut

I've been following nofap for quite some time but this is my first post. I have found it to be extremely helpful. A little background on me. Like most of you I have struggled with this addiction for a long time, however, I have had long periods of success from time to time without PMO. I'm currently at about 90 days.

The thing that I want to say is in response to posts I see quite a few times about being cured. I don't want this to be discouraging to anyone, but I want people to have realistic expectations. In my opinion there is no such thing as cured from this addiction. The better words in my opinion are "healed" and "prepared". Healed in the sense that you no longer feel the pain of what you have done in the past. Prepared in the sense that you know how to deal with temptations when they come in the future, as they undoubtedly will. Personally I don't think there will ever be a time when I can consider my self cured and let my guard down. That over confidence has caused me to relapse in the past. Perhaps other people disagree with my view on what we should be aiming for, but I just want to express my opinion as to what realistic expectations should be. With that said, there is nothing that feels better then the healing that can come after some time away from this addiction. Let us all keep fighting.

2. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

That is true.
    NoFap is healing on a cultural level. We all share the same culture and we cannot exclude ourselves from that. It is clear therefore that the temptation to Fap will remain as long as we are in this culture. The temptation does reduce dramatically though but the thing is to never let the guard down. It is a stronger addiction than cigarettes in my opinion but it is similar in that when you have given up cigarettes for a long time the idea of buying a pack is ridiculas but yet there is still the possibility of doing so and a cultural pressure to be careful of. The cultural pressure of cigarettes has been reduced dramtically but the cultural pressure to Fap is still quite high. That is my opinion.

Deleted Account and Kurapika like this.