1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Meditations

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Hi, I have been bringing myself to start posting these for a while now. I'm 25M Catholic, and basically, as part of my recovery, i started reading the Scripute for the given day and commentaries that come with it. It often pushes me to reflection and prayer. And for some days now, I feel I want to share it with others, partly as an accountability tool, but mainly as I feel a great need to live my faith with others, to grow in it, to show my faith and to be inspired by their faith. I was hesitant to publicise it, as we should not show off with our prayer, and I do indeed have a tendency to obsess about likes I get. And to be honest, I'm still a bit hesitant. So, really what I hope for, this thread will be found by the few who truly want to walk these steps with me.

I will post most days in the morning, I'll post the Gospel for the given day with the commentaries I find inspiring, and some mine reflection. The commentaries will be in italics and my writing will be in normal font. However, I do translate the commentaries from my language to English, so it might not be perfect. If you guys have your own reflections or would would want to ask God something, please do post it. Also, I'm not that knowledgeable in matters of Catholicism, so if I make any errors in my understanding of the Bible or the commentaries, please do correct me. Let's be joyful together about the presence of God in our lives, and let's do our best to love Him and to do His Will.

I have a prayer that I pray before and after reading Scripture, and I find really useful. I think it's fitting I put it here, I'm translating it from my language so sorry if it's not the best.

Before prayer
    My Lord and my God,
    I believe strongly that You are here,
    that you can see me and you can hear me.
    I love you with all my heart,
    I ask you for the forgiveness for my sins,
    and for the grace to have a fruitful time in prayer

After prayer
    I give you thanks my God,
    for good resolutions, feelings and inspirations,
    that you gifted me during these reflections.
    I ask you for help in making them come true.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Mara43 likes this.
  2. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Jesus is a good shepherd
    Gospel, John 10:11-18
    11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.

12 The hired man, since he is not the shepherd and the sheep do not belong to him, abandons the sheep as soon as he sees a wolf coming, and runs away, and then the wolf attacks and scatters the sheep;

13 he runs away because he is only a hired man and has no concern for the sheep.

14 I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me,

15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for my sheep.

16 And there are other sheep I have that are not of this fold, and I must lead these too. They too will listen to my voice, and there will be only one flock, one shepherd.

17 The Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.

18 No one takes it from me; I lay it down of my own free will, and as I have power to lay it down, so I have power to take it up again; and this is the command I have received from my Father.

________________________________​

What do I ask for?
    For deep joy that Jesus and God the Father take care of me

Jesus is a good shepherd, he is ready to die for me
    - is there a more manly behaviour than being ready to die for your brothers? Not only he is ready to die for me, I should be ready to die for him and for my brothers. I usually struggle to combine manliness with being a Christian. Today I got an answer.
    - He is not only willing to die for me, he died for me! How can I not be honoured, amazed, that He, God, died for me.

I will ask myself honestly if I am aware that Jesus dies for me everyday out of love for me.

"I know my sheep" (v14). Whenever i pray, i can be confident that He knows everything about me. Is there anything I'm trying to hide, do I feel safe with him?
    - I don't, i resist prayer, it's sometimes an obligation I have to do instead of a joyful time with a friend.
    - Jesus, please help me remember how wonderful it is to be with you, to surrender my problems to you, to be forgiven

Jesus mentiones God the Father and His love for me (v15, 17-18). Everything Jesus does, he does because that is Father wants. For the Father Jesus guards me, loves me, dies for me.
    - Thank you Father for sending Jesus to me. Thank you for your care.
    - Please help me be like Jesus, to do things out of the single fact that they're your will. Relieve me of the bondage of self

Mara43 likes this.
  3. You're on day 43! That's great. Keep doing what you are doing. You mentioned that you are "not knowledgeable in matters of Catholicism." I am just curious, are you Catholic?

luxtorpeda likes this.
  4. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Hi, yes, thank you for asking, i should have mentioned that in the introduction, gonna correct it now. I am Catholic and been raised Catholic, i just meant that I might not be always right in some of the more theological concepts. If you want to know more about my story, feel free to go to my journal.

In the spirit of the thread so trying to live my faith fully - God bless you, my brother.

5. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

My sheep listen to my voice
    Gospel, John 10:22-30
    22 It was the time of the feast of Dedication in Jerusalem. It was winter,

23 and Jesus was in the Temple walking up and down in the Portico of Solomon.

24 The Jews gathered round him and said, 'How much longer are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us openly.'

25 Jesus replied: I have told you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father's name are my witness;

26 but you do not believe, because you are no sheep of mine.

27 The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me.

28 I give them eternal life; they will never be lost and no one will ever steal them from my hand.

29 The Father, for what he has given me, is greater than anyone, and no one can steal anything from the Father's hand.

30 The Father and I are one.[/I]

What do I ask for? For the ability to completely surrender to God through Jesus.

When Jesus walking in temple, it makes Jews uneasy. (v22-24). Silent presence of God can make me uneasy, especially when I wait for His word or when I find it hard to enter into waiting and silence. Am I not forcing an answer from God? Is there a space in prayer for long silence and patient listening?
    - I barely have time for listening in my prayer. I'm either talking or reading the bible. I don't feel i allow the word to work in me much. I don't listen. Maybe introducing a bit more meditation like time would be good
    - God, please help me here, teach me and guide me how to pray, how to be with You. Help me be more like Jesus who was with You all the time. Help me surrender and just be for you.

"I have told you, but you do not believe" (v25-26). Jesus is silent because a lot of his words were not heard and received. Silence allows me to return to the word I did not hear and receive. Faith is born from listening, and what you hear is the word from Jesus (St. Paul)
    - Thank you God, for keeping trying to open me to your word, to your world. You bring the frustration and impatience so that I am not content with some image You, only the real You will be enough.

6. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Absolutely. It is tempting to fill the silence with our own words and in my case it is impossible to stop it. However, those incredible instances when God's direction gets through to me are more frequent and more noticeable with each attempt I make to open myself up to Him.

luxtorpeda likes this.
  7. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

This is your son. This is your mother
    Gospel, John 19:25-27

25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary of Magdala.

26 Seeing his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing near her, Jesus said to his mother, 'Woman, this is your son.'

27 Then to the disciple he said, 'This is your mother.' And from that hour the disciple took her into his home.

Today's Scripture is different in my country due to a holiday, hence this post is different. Sorry about that. Thank you @CPilot for your words, it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling.

What do I ask for? For the grace of loving Jesus like Mary did.

I will imagine the face of Jesus, covered in blood, fainted and I will imagine his eyes full love. I am his his most loved disciple, He wants me to believe that He is dying for me. Do I believe in that?
    - I tend to believe that my success is thanks to me. I am so desperate for validation. I forget that Jesus is with me always, and always helps me with my cross.
    - God, please help me remember the suffering that Jesus went for me, help me understand. Thank you for sending Him.

Jesus, losing his breath, talks to me. He looks at Mary and says "This is your mother". I will walk to Mary, embrace her and say "You are my mother, you are my queen." I will take Mary with me, into my everyday life. Her maternal eyes can always remind me of the limitless love from Jesus
    - I definitely forget to include Mary in my life. I struggle with why do I need her as my Mother when I have God with me.
    - Mary, help me to love Jesus like you did.
    - God, please help me understand why was I given Mary as my mother.

CPilot and born3 like this.
  8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I have received so much help at crucial points in my life by asking Mary to intervene for me. God chose that beautiful, pure and loving creature to be the mother of His son. What an incredible person she must be to merit such a huge responsibility! Equally extraordinary is the fact that she agreed to perform her role as Queen of Heaven and the most paramount saint for eternity. I cannot thank Mary enough, I look forward to the day I meet her although I wonder if I will ever be worthy to see such purity.

luxtorpeda likes this.
  9. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Whoever welcomes the one I send, welcomes me
    Gospel, John 13:16-20

16 'In all truth I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, no messenger is greater than the one who sent him.

17 'Now that you know this, blessed are you if you behave accordingly.

18 I am not speaking about all of you: I know the ones I have chosen; but what scripture says must be fulfilled: 'He who shares my table takes advantage of me.

19 I tell you this now, before it happens, so that when it does happen you may believe that I am He.

20 In all truth I tell you, whoever welcomes the one I send, welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me, welcomes the one who sent me.'

Thank you for sharing your faith @CPilot, it's really inspirational for me, makes me wish I had it. The beautiful thing is, you talk about her like you know her, and I cms really see you love her. Thank you for this. I sometimes fall into too much rationality and try to analyse - why should I pray to Mary to intervene when I can pray directly to God. But I can see now that that's the wrong question. I can talk to both and enjoy both their presence. At least that's a thought I got now.

No servant is greater than his master" (v16-17). Only when I truly chose Jesus as my Lord, then I won't try to overtake him, force my plans on him, try to protect him or be greater than him. Did make that choice?
    - In a way, I'm constantly trying to be greater than him. I don't acknowledge his presence in everything that I do, I often try to come up with things I could do that are better then what Jesus would want. I definitely forget to remember I'm a servant.
    - God, please, grant me this simplicity of remembering I'm a servant. Thank you for taking care of me, for taking me into your home.

"whoever welcomes the one I send, welcomes me" (v20). I will realise that Jesus talks to me through the people close to me, people I live with everyday. Do I listen to others? Do I listen to their words, their advice, their comments?
    - well, I definitely forget to see Jesus in people around me. Until now I was mainly thinking that I should be good to others, but turns out I should also listen to others. Only to those who are with Christ though.
    - God, thank you for this word today, that it's making me learn something new. Help me accept your wisdom, whether it comes to me through prayer or from other people. Especially help me respect the advice of people close to me.

10. I used to ask this question as well and then I realized God is my Father. Fathers have a family. Our Father, God, has willed to speak though His family members. The scriptures themselves are prime example of this as Christ didn’t write anything Himself, but rather willed that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John be inspired later to write of Him through the Holy Spirit.

So here I am going to Mark, Matthew, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, Jude, and James to encounter the Word, but then stumble with doubt whenever I’m told the same God, who came to us through Mary, wills that I go to Mary to encounter Him! Doesn’t make sense to have such an aversion to our Blessed Mother.

luxtorpeda likes this.
  11. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

I am the Way, I am Truth and Life

Gospel, John 14:1-6
    1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. You trust in God, trust also in me.

2 In my Father's house there are many places to live in; otherwise I would have told you. I am going now to prepare a place for you,

3 and after I have gone and prepared you a place, I shall return to take you to myself, so that you may be with me where I am.

4 You know the way to the place where I am going.

5 Thomas said, 'Lord, we do not know where you are going, so how can we know the way?'

6 Jesus said: I am the Way; I am Truth and Life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

Thank you @Auggie. I have to admit it took me a moment to understand your point, but I think I do get it. I like the point that for some reason, God wants to speak to us through others, not directly. We have the apostles and we almost got used to reading what they've written through God. Why shouldn't we go to Mary just as easily. Thank you.

What do I ask for? For a deep bond with the Father and with Jesus.

I will sit with other disciples next to Jesus. I will see his seriousness (v1-2). He wants to tell me something very important. He talks about a place to live in, waiting for me in my Father's house. I will ask Him to help me open to his word.

Jesus looks into my eyes and says "Do not let your heart be troubled but trust in me" (v1). I will be honest with him about the fears and doubts, that stop me from delighting in his promise.
    - I forget that my fears close me to the joy I could feel when being with God
    - God, i have all these problems, PhD, youth work, and I sometimes feel so bad at them. I am so overwhelmed sometimes. Please come, please help me.
    - I don't have to fear, God is with me. Jesus, i trust in you. Jesus I love you. Jesus I want to be like you.

Jesus is preparing a place for me in the Father (v3). Do I believe in that? I will realise how many gifts I receive from him when I pray, in his word, in the sacraments, through people. He is always with me. He wants to be my "place to live in"
    - My place is already ready, Jesus is here and I can reach into him any moment.
    - God, please, help me remember that you're here with me, and help me navigate through life with you, appreciating all the gifts. Help me remember that I can be happy right now. Help me be happy.
    - Thank you God for saving us even though we didn't want to be saved. Thank you for loving us. 0

Rocmcrobbinson likes this.
  12. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Whoever remains in me, bears fruit plenty

Gospel, John 15:1-8
    1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.

2 Every branch in me that bears no fruit he cuts away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes to make it bear even more.

3 You are clean already, by means of the word that I have spoken to you.

4 Remain in me, as I in you. As a branch cannot bear fruit all by itself, unless it remains part of the vine, neither can you unless you remain in me.

5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me, with me in him, bears fruit in plenty; for cut off from me you can do nothing.

6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a branch -- and withers; these branches are collected and thrown on the fire and are burnt.

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for whatever you please and you will get it.

8 It is to the glory of my Father that you should bear much fruit and be my disciples.

What do I ask for? To be deeply grounded in Jesus and his word.

Fsther wants to clean me from mediocrity and frigidity, so that I live more according to the Gospel, produce more goodness. Where do I fall for mediocrity?

- Well, addiction. Laziness at work, being scared. Getting angry at people, annoyed.
    - God, please help me see the the mediocrity in my life, show where I don't live my life to the fullest.

Jesus points my attention to the power of his word (v3, 7). It cleans and helps to stay with him. I am with him when I am with his word. How's my experience of praying with his word? Do I have the desire for the word?
    - I can definitely say that having taken a break over the weekend, my day felt off. I can't say how much of it was due to losing other habits, but missing my morning prayer felt not good. I feel at home while praying. I don't have much desire though.
    - God, please wake up in me a desire for you. Make sure so that I'm not satisfied with earthly things, only you can fill the whole inside of me.

Jesus is clear when he says that there's no life without him, and I can't achieve anything without him (v4,6). Where do I seek life for myself? Where do I go for support?
    - I have an idea for my life. That I will have my PhD, i will be successful, i will be admired. I go to other people for validation, I'm desperate for their recognition.
    - God, take aways this false self from me, take away this idea I have. Help me see it, help me see how it doesn't work, help me see that being with you is so so much better.

CPilot and Rocmcrobbinson like this.
  13. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Character

5 Get used to saying No

6 Turn back on the villain and when he whispers in your ear: "Why complicate your life?"

Hi, I had my parents and my girlfriend over and I didn't manage to maintain my routine of morning prayers. I think I'll be getting back to it now though.

I'm also slightly changing the subject of those posts - analysing the Scripture reading and translating the commentaries was taking too much time in the morning, and I need to quickly get into working in the morning, otherwise I start to feel lazy, shame kicks in and so on.

So, for at least next few days I'll be reading from a book I got recently - The Way by St. Josemaria Escriva. It's short thoughts grouped by general subject like Character, Love of God, Holy Mass etc. I'll be reading a little each day and post here what strucks me, together with some thoughts.

Why complicate your life? Because on the surface it looks easier, it looks pleasurable.

God, please help me see through the surface pleasure, through the instant gratification. Grant me the strength to say No.

CPilot and Fulton like this.
  14. The Way is a great book and perfect for daily reflections.

The Way > Chapter 2 > Guidance

‘They have the stuff of saints in them.’ At times you hear this said of some people. Apart from the fact that the saints were not made of ‘stuff, to have stuff is not sufficient.

A great spirit of obedience to your Director and great readiness to respond to grace are essential. For, if you don’t allow God’s grace and your Director to do their work, there will never appear the finished sculpture, Christ’s image, into which the saintly man is fashioned.

And the ‘stuff’ of which we were speaking will be no more than a heap of shapeless matter, fit only for the fire..., for a good fire if it was good stuff!

luxtorpeda likes this.
  15. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Life of childhood

875 Don't forget, silly child, that Love has made you all-powerful

880 Let not your faults and imperfections, or even your serious falls, separate you from God - A weak child, if he is wise, tries to keep close to his father

I'm having a hard time last few days, and I needed to find something less demanding to read. Hence, the change from the Character section to Child section.

On my own, i am powerless. It's no surprise that I'm struggling now. I'm trying to do things on my own. I have slipped and I doubted God. I separated. Now I'm slipping even more. I have missed Holy Mass yesterday because i was watching TV series.

God, please help me to reconnect with You. Help me regain the Serenity and Hope. I am so lost without you. I am a weak child, so very weak, help me find Love to you. Teach me.

Thank you @Fulton for your post. I have been going to spiritual direction for a moment few months back. I've stopped because of a relapse of addiction, i have isolated myself completely at that time. For some weeks now I'm considering going back but I'm worried I'll torpedo it again and destroy my hopes that I'll get better. I know that those worries shouldn't be the reasons I don't do it, but I pray about it and I've just joined SA and I feel like it would be too many things at the same time. In SA I'm learning (slowly) how to surrender my will to God, getting a lot of support from my sponsor and other programme brothers. After summer I'm definitely going to work on spiritual direction.

CPilot and Eremite like this.
  16. Praying for you, brother! As you said, we’re all powerless children who are dependent on our Heavenly Father. It’s a very powerful prayer to say “Lord, You carry this addiction, since I can’t!”. Jesus, loves those invitations for Him to help. Even better when they’re followed by a thanksgiving.

luxtorpeda likes this.
  17. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

Life of childhood

Our will, strengthened by grace, is all power full before God. Thus, at the sight of so many offences against Our Lord, if we say to Jesus and really mean it as we travel on a tram for example: "My God, I'd like to make as many acts of love and reparation as turns of the wheel of this vehicle", at that very instant, in the eyes of zhesus, we really have loved him and atoned just as we desired.

Such "nonsense" is not pushing spiritual childhood too far, it is the eternal dialogue between the innocent child and his father doting on his son: "How much do you love me? Tell me" - And the little lad pipes up: "Many many million!"

Loving God means seeing him in others and loving them. I often forget that, when praying Our Father, i always try to express love to Him but I never know how. Help me remember God, help me see you in others.

Help me be like a child in my Love, so that I make "nonsense" declarations. Help me maintain the balance in rationality and emotions, but lose the balance in Love.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    CPilot and Eremite like this.
  18. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

The Way: Life of childhood

You get distracted in prayer. Try to avoid distractions, but don't worry if, in spite of everything, you're still distracted.

Don't you see how in ordinary life, even the most sensible children amuse themselves and play about with the things around them, and often don't pay attention to what their father is saying? This does not mean lack of love, or respect: it is just the feebleness and littleness proper to a child.

Well, look: you are a child before God.

For some days now, in my morning prayer, apart from Our Father, I also pray a child version of it. I heard it in a podcast of one of the priests. It starts with, "Dad, I'm hungry" and slightly rephrases each line. This point in The Way is so very similar to this.

Dad, forgive me my misdoings, i am just a child that gets distracted and starts playing with things. It's incredible Dad that you have so much patience to me, to us, you are so incredible. Thank you for being with me today, please help me stay close to you, without you the world is so scary!

Eremite and CPilot like this.
  19. luxtorpeda

luxtorpeda Fapstronaut

The Way: Spiritual Childhood

Try to get to know the "way of spiritual childhood", without forcing yourself to follow this path - Let the Holy Spirit do his work.

When I've read this one, I knew this is the one for today. Thank you God for working through people who can explain so well how to be with you.

The way of the child is the way of Surrender. I cannot force myself to be a child, i cannot work hard enough to earn my right, I cannot bend myself to make it possible. I cannot plan it, I cannot understand. I cannot do all the things I like. I need to do the exact opposite. I need to surrender to God and trust in Him.

There's some work required to be able to surrender, to be able to open my spirit, my mind and my body to Him. But even for that work, God is with me. I am all powerless but he is all powerless. How great is that?

CPilot likes this.