1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anybody take medication for mental illness?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Wankeroni, May 27, 2019.

1. Wankeroni

Wankeroni Fapstronaut

A very personal question so you don't have to share if you don't want to. What's your illness and what medication do you take? Has it helped your illness? Are you taking a higher dose than you were when you first started because you built up a tolerance or have stayed consistent with the same dose from the start? If you were to no longer have your medication, can you get by, if so, would it be as long as you did while you weren't taking the medication?

The reason why I'm asking is because doctors do get get accused of prescribing patients with high a dose of medicine that they often don't need and has made their illness worse. But, at the same time people do claim that medication has helped them with their illness. So I'm trying to figure out which one is it. Who better to ask than the consumer?

2. Just Rose

Just Rose Distinguished Fapstronaut

Hmmm ok n.n
    I'm diagnosed as paranoid personality, and I take an antidepressant (Sertraline) and an antipsychotic (haloperidol). My dose is lower than the lowest reported. I have decreased it, but sometimes I take mi old high dose when I feel specially bad. Do I like them? No. I hate the side effects: sleepiness by haloperidol and anxiety by sertraline. So imagine me as an hysteric Sleepy Beauty :b I feel faaaaar more relaxed and equilibrated with a nice cup of chamomile tea and a glass of wine. As my dose is really low, I can drink alcohol with moderation, but I still don't like it. Those medicines are supposed to reduce my emotional outbursts, which yeah they accomplish but I end up being a dumbass that doesn't trusts in her own fears and ends up talking with strangers or giving information she shouldn't. In fact, that's what I most hate about them: they make me faaaaar too honest, in fact I told mom about NoFap under my medicines effects :/ it was a good thing in the long term but I sometimes still think I shouldn't. My illness is not worse, yes, it's better, but not that much. My psychologist was completely useless btw, so that's a point too: a BIG part of the recovery from any mental desease Is the inner therapy that pulls you out the hole. It isn't easy. I hope my pathetic experience is useful

Wankeroni likes this.
  3. I take medication for bipolar and another medication for a hyper sex drive associated with bipolar. The meds are Rx by my psych and they work wonders.

Wankeroni likes this.
  4. Wankeroni

Wankeroni Fapstronaut

Yes, thank you for sharing. Well, I hope you find closure to this and best of luck. By the way, wanna play a game of poker?lol jk.

Eleanor likes this.
  5. I have autism and before I was allowed to apply for my disability benefit, I was forced to try out at least 8 different types of medications (mostly SSRI's) that came at my expense, but none of them worked or helped in any way.

In fact for me all It did was make me paranoid, my anxiety and misophonia were so much worse, and my emotions were blank and lifeless in the process. Personally I'd rather try and deal with it naturally, as I don't seem to take too kindly to most medications and their side effects.

u376, Wankeroni and Eleanor like this.
  6. Im undiagnosed and idk on the exact illness, if i have one. But i think i may or may not depression, i think theres different levels and im not as intense as others. I may also just be sad sometimes. Who knows? But i smoke weed, thats my medication.
    Umm.. sure. Why not? Its defintely not a cure by any means. Sometimes w my anxiety, it gets worse when high but idk. Just depends, i know it isnt the chemical compound or anything, its me. I just get stressed extremely easily.
    Built it way up my dude. Like.. yeah man. Specifics dont matter but yes, everybody that smokes semi regurarly has. Tolerance wasnt one consistent way up though.
    You lost me. I would 100% get by w/o my medication. I have gotten by without it handsomely and i probably will again get by w/o sometime.

& before people start to get on my case, im semi-joking :)

7. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Yeah, I take Efexxor and Olanzapine. They treat my depression and psychosis, respectively. Efexxor has been working for me for about 5 years and the Olanzapine I've been taking for about 3 years. They don't remove the illnesses altogether, but they do help make the side effects more manageable. I experience hallucinations and that's what hurts me the most; it's much worse than depression.

8. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Autism is not a mental illness.

9. Depends who you talk to about that as even a lot of doctors and therapists disagree, but either way the depression and anxiety that come with it counts. My anxiety isn't going to leave period, and I'll have to live and deal with that for the rest of my life. Depression comes and goes, the worse my anxiety is the more easily I get depressed.

So while autism itself may not be a mental illness, I do have to deal with OCD, anxiety, depression, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
    Mr. McMarty likes this.
  10. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

I think medicines should be avoided at all cost
    Talk therapy is what I prefer

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  11. I'm not a fan of the standard talk therapy, and while I wouldn't do it again I did get some results from CBT. In terms of medicines it really depends on what they are, I try to do as much background checking as possible on something I have to take or if a doctor tried prescribing me something.

InnerFaith and u376 like this.