1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Family History & Temple Work

Fight the Good Fight

1. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Fapstronaut

My friends,

I hope you are all having a great New Years Eve!

As the year is coming to it's close I was taking stock of how this year has gone. One of my goals this year was to be more active both in Family History research and in attending the temple, and this year I not only managed to go to the temple at least once a month, but I was able to log over 6,000 contributions* in FamilySearch.

I have consciously tried to log into FamilySearch whenever I have felt weak or tempted, or when I knew I was at risk. It has been very effective at helping me to overcome some triggers (especially loneliness, anxiety, and depression), though less effective at others (such as physical pain). I can say, however, that for me it's been a very effective method of avoiding temptation.

I have met so many people on this years journey. I have branched out beyond just my own family tree in some cases and done the research for people who had some connection to my kin without any relationship to me (for example, a distant cousin died in a storm at sea on his fishing boat. I went through and made sure all the documentation I could find was attached to all of the men who perished with him). This year I have encountered many tragedies and sadness, especially early deaths from accidents, diseases, war and violence. But I have also rejoiced with men and women long dead as I have found information that highlights what their lives were like, and their triumphs and joys.

I feel that all of this effort has been amply repaid, and that I have been strengthened both mentally and spiritually. I am grateful for this experience, and if anybody has questions or needs help in getting started, I am happy to assist however I can.

*This includes about 5,500 sources attached, 320 individual profiles created for deceased persons, and 180 memories/documents/photographs uploaded.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    Azzure likes this.
  2. Wow! I'm impressed and proud of you and your efforts in doing Family History work. Well done @Tannhauser
    I would like to follow your example and increase my efforts doing Family History. I have a rich and diverse family who deserve the saving ordinances being done for them.

I like what you've said about how doing family history for you has strengthened you mentally and physically. Would you mind sharing more insights about this. Perhaps you have an experience/example you could share that shows how your mental and physical strength increased.