1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite popes and saints

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. Stommy

Stommy Fapstronaut

In the history of the Church which is the Pope you love the most?

And who is the saint you trust the most and who inspires you?

2. I would say one of my favorite Popes was Leo XIII. My favorite saint would be St. Francis of Assisi; I absolutely love his life of full surrender to God; when I think of St. Francis I remember St. Paul’s verse “it’s no longer I who live, but Christ who lives through me”. My other favorite is St. Peter the Apostle; he loved big and made big mistakes, but in the end loved conquered and he won the crown!

I find it hard to do these types of posts because I love so many saints and popes; it’s like being asked to pick your favorite song! lol

3. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Thanks for the prompt! I have not studied the Popes so I haven't formed an opinion on the first part of your question. Sounds like there is a rich bit of spirituality that I could realize by studying these men.

As far as saints go, I would say Mary is far and away my favorite saint. I know she is held in such high regard by most Catholics that we sometimes forget she is the Queen of Saints. Following that incredible saint, I have received help and inspiration from St. Augustine, St. Jude, St. Peter, St. John the Apostle, St. Ignatius Loyola and St. Mary Magdalene.

Since we know that anyone who has made it to heaven is a saint, I will add that I have received quite obvious help when I have asked for it from my late daughter and also Archbishop Fulton Sheen. I know neither of these two have been canonized but perhaps someday they will be. Regardless, they have been incredibly helpful to me on several occasions.

4. My favourite Pope is Pope Francis, I found him very human and simply profound in his words
    at times I might be a bit more "conservative" on a few life aspects but he is a great Pope, he helped me a lot in my sobriety of 5 years (p. and s. addiction) and in dark times

as for saints, my favourite one is Saint Augustine of Hippo who I found out was a s. addict like me. His story is very encouraging knowing who he was before becoming a saint, making you think that most Catholic saints were very far from sanctity before changing their lives for the best and for good. It gives you the hope that you can distance yourself from who you used to be and used to do, that you should not let the past define you forever and especially not your future too if you have a strong will to change for the better and to not let weaknesses destroy you

I also get inspired by the Archangel Michael and the story of Saint George and the dragon, both fighting with their weapons against evil

Life_of_Socrates_777 likes this.
  5. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Pope Francis certainly challenges us to be true Christians. On some subjects, his message is not an easy one but I bow to his wisdom and I remain open to what he says. I recognize that at this point in his existence he is still a mortal man and men can make mistakes. However, I respect his life long devotion to God and I do not consider my own intellect and understanding to be at a level even close to his. Therefore, I will listen to his teaching with an open mind and use them to examine my conscience.

6. Life_of_Socrates_777

Life_of_Socrates_777 Fapstronaut

I would have to say Benedict XVI; he has inspired me most in my own journey of faith, reason, and devotion. I was at World Youth Day in Madrid 2011 and he was such a gentle voice. (I was also at World Youth Day in Lisbon this year and Pope Francis was also encouraging!! "Todos, todos, todos".) In my ordinary devotion to saints, I turn most to Mary, Joseph, and also John the Baptist. But in my usual litany are the apostolic authors of the New Testament, plus one special lady Blessed Alexandrina de Costa. She was bed-ridden in the early 20th century because of an injury that she sustained, jumping out of a window to escape from a man who was trying to rape her. For the final 13 years of her life, her body sustained its physical life by consuming only the Eucharist. No food, no water. Just communion. She is called the "4th seer of Fatima" and her feast day is October 13. I love her

7. Life_of_Socrates_777

Life_of_Socrates_777 Fapstronaut

I'd also say, even though I don't pray to him fervently in my need, the one who inspires my spiritual life the most is definitely St Paul because of his letters and his life. But there is St John too. So profound. Gosh, how do you pick just one??

CPilot likes this.
  8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Another great benefit of being Catholic. We believe in the communion of saints and we need not pick just one or even just the canonized ones.