Hello there, new to the platform

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by Willem1996, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Willem1996

Willem1996 New Fapstronaut

Hello to anyone reading this. Thanks in advance for taking the time to do so.

I've visited the NoFap website a couple of times already, but never signed up. Today, after abstaining from PMO for 6 days (starting from the 29th of May), I deemed it wiser to sign up for the community and tell my story.

I don't remember what age I was when I saw inappropriate content for the first time, but I think around the time I was 12 or so. Ever since then I've gotten hooked to PMO/PM. At the time, of course, not realising what it was doing to my brain.

When I was about 16ish I started to realise it wasn't a particular good habit, I felt ashamed for doing it. But the urges were strong and I justified it by telling myself MO was natural, ignoring the fact I basically always watched and needed P in order to do so.

When I was 16 I finished my college education. During this period I tried flirting with girls, but that never paid of, usually resulted in ackward situations. Since I was always PMOing, the desire to improve those skills at that time, was basically 0.

I started working whilst studying electrical engineering. Basically I've been combining studying and working for 9 years, almost getting my Bachelors degree, but due to other, mostly work related reasons, I had to and wanted to quit the bachelors degree course in September of 2022.

Working and studying didn't really affect my PMO habit, but after I ended my studying phase and only remained working, I had way more free time as one can imagine. It was then that it started to get to me that I was still single and that I've always been single. After accepting that this is the case, I started making changes and setting goals. One of those changes/goals is to get P out of my life. So far I've had it "under control", by this I mean I've limited to amount of PMO. But, after reading up on the NoFap info page, had to admit I experienced the chaser effect numerous times. A lot of the information was relatable.

To my understanding of P addiction so far, I believe I'm not a severe addict, since quitting P itself wasn't and isn't difficult for me. But not MOing is. And like it says on the information page, when the chaser effect hits, I am back in my PMO habit before I realise it, but no more.

I'm going to create a journal thread as well, were I'll tell more about my other goals/changes I'm setting/making to become a better person.

Again, thanks for reading and have a wonderful day

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    IdleHandsX and paul2568 like this.
  2. Robindale

Robindale Fapstronaut

Welcome Willem. You’ve got a strong start and sounds like good motivation to succeed. Wish you well at understanding the deep underlying reasons you turn to MO and addressing those for long-term healing. You can do this and we’re all here to encourage and support.

Willem1996 likes this.