How do you deal with paranoia ?

Discussion in 'Partner Support' started by elley, Sep 25, 2017.

1. elley

elley Fapstronaut

So my bf asked me to help keep him accountable. I’ve been checking in with him daily about this, either asking if he’s going to use P today, or did he last night?
    I’m a recovering alcoholic, so I know how important it is to have someone to go to when you’re panicked and triggered. I want to be that for him. I’ve not been judgmental or angry about this.
    But I find myself getting anxious to talk about it. I’m afraid he’s going to say he slipped up, and I’m going to be extremely sad and disappointed. Right now we can’t have sex, he has PIED.
    I also sometimes think “I wonder if he’s doing or acting like _____ because he slipped and he won’t tell me”
    We have really great communication, I don’t know how to get past the feeling that he’s keeping something from me or just being suspicious

SpouseofPA likes this.
  2. SpouseofPA

SpouseofPA Fapstronaut

you must remove yourself when he tells you. I would say ask him to give you a buffer ( like "i want to talk to my "AP") then you can give yourself a chance to take a breathe and prepare yourself/remove your personal feelings from the situation. That way its not like he is dropping a bomb on you, he doesn't need to feel judged because he not telling you, he is telling his AP. and you must remember that too. You are not allowed to be judgmental. if you cannot do that, then you cannot be his AP.

Now i am by no means a guru of this addiction. I am simply trying to answer that part of your question. Im not saying my advice is best but if you really want to be his AP, then that may help you out.

elley likes this.
  3. elley

elley Fapstronaut

Thanks, that’s a good way to think about it

SpouseofPA likes this.
  4. I think you should not be his AP. If he tells you voluntarily about his slips and/or relapses, then that's an agreement between both of you (maybe even your boundary). But it's good for guys to have a guy AP, preferably someone who has a lot more experience than your guy. 12 step programs for sex addicts are a good "source". A supportive friend or family member could be another.

5. elley

elley Fapstronaut

Thanks I’ll talk to him about that. I do think he would benefit from more support/resources

6. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

7. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

8. elley

elley Fapstronaut

9. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Oh, that's easy... Reboot is tough.
    And Gaslighting is probably one of top ways fighting is escalated.
    Watch out for it.
    It helps healing for you and keeps them focused.
    Also let's u know when something is amiss.
    When you feel down or are being blamed its easy to self focus and not realize til later that's a major sign or symptom of something being wrong.
    If you have a handy list to look at and refer back to, you miss less.

10. elley

elley Fapstronaut

Ohhhh ok I get it. My bf is the one who came to the conclusion that he is PA and decided to quit. He has done a lot of research into it. But just like any addiction he has trouble. He’s very open with it for the most part.

I’m familiar with gaslighting, when used by manipulative narcissists, I divorced one.

11. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

I divorced one too.
    And mine also came to his own conclusions.... Doesn't mean that you might not come across this.
    Truly entering sobriety is a long hard process.
    Both of you will see completely new sides of each other.
    Nobody leaves unscathed.
    And I say this as someone who did not become really depressed about the whole thing.
    It doesn't mean it didn't burn me at some point.
    It doesn't mean it won't get you.
    It's good to have stuff even if you think you won't, because maybe you will... You just never know when the journey begins.
    And even if you never use it... You may be able to pass it to someone else who does need it because that is what we do.

12. elley

elley Fapstronaut

You’re right. Being over prepared is better than being under prepared :)

Deleted Account and Kenzi like this.
  13. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I agree that you should not be his accountability partner that being said I am not sure if you are not that will stop the paranoia or anxiety that you are having. I was there, I left my addict partner but I know exactly how you feel. Looking back I wish I had not been scared to ask, I wish I had confronted him more and made him tell me, but I did not and when I confronted him finally, he would say well you did not ask, I did not lie I just did not tell you, the whole lying by omission. It all depends on what you as a partner need to know to feel safe and start trusting again. If you need him to tell you daily that he has not done anything, then ask for that that's okay, have him check in with you. It's not just about him overcoming the addiction but also about building trust with you. For me not knowing would drive me crazy maybe you are okay with it, but its what you need. For me I was never able to regain trust due to ongoing actions, and so the paranoia always continued and it started to take over my life and made me so unhappy. With time it will get better I hope for you.

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 and elley like this.