1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I hate Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Namekian23, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Does anybody here feel the same way? There are so many reasons why I hate this holiday. I'm very skeptical of finding love, or if it even exists...I've had experiences with women where things didn't go so well. In fact, last February (go figure) I had my heart destroyed by a woman who I trusted, cared for, admired, and the list goes on and on. It was the worst emotional pain of my life.

Other than that, it's just how everyone is so in the mood, especially when you see people on Facebook sharing EVERYTHING they can about their loved ones. It makes you cringe sometimes. I'm not saying I'm jealous or anything, but Valentine's Day just brings back horrible memories of last February. And every time I think of this month, I always think of the woman who broke my heart. And if I had a girlfriend, I wouldn't be posting this.

There can be great things that happen when you fall in love, I mean I've been there. But as of now, I'm very reluctant to even try again. But this year, 2016 baby! I'm going to change a few things. I'm moving out and won't be focusing on relationships for the entire year. This will give my heart plenty of healing time while I keep myself busy doing other things. And maybe when I do fall in love again and have a successful relationship, I will reconsider what I have said. But as of now, I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day...

Gladiatori likes this.
  2. I'm not a fan of Valentine's Day either. I think social media doesn't help matters, either. I've found that social media pretty much mostly serves to make you compare yourself to others and everyone is always trying to one up each other. I got rid of my Facebook years ago and it has been soooo freeing. And now when my husband does something special for me, I don't feel the need to go brag about it to all my friends.

Without social media, honestly, I almost forgot Valentine's Day even existed. Lol so maybe getting rid of the comparisons would be helpful. I know it has made a huge difference for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your heartbreak. It truly is the toughest thing to get through in life, I believe. I hope time is healing your wounds and that you can find some joy today in knowing that you are loved and supported!

3. I'm certainly not a fan of Valentine's Day, same goes with Steak-and-BJ-day, kiss-your-monkey-day and all the other bullshit days etc.
    But for this Valentine, I've had my eyes on a girl, I felt was very special. So I sent her a simple appreciation card with a few words.
    I may have used the day as an excuse, but hey, I would feel worse if I didn't.

Namekian23 likes this.
  4. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

Who the fuck actually cares about valentines day? It's just a day that forces the societal convention to buy shit nobody needs on people. It really shoud be disregarded completely. If you feel sad about what happened, then feel sad for a time but don't let a freaking holiday that doesn't mean shit to you as a person make things worse.

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

You do have a good point. Not to mention, most people on Facebook or other social media often exaggerate or even brag, as you've mentioned, about how seemingly perfect their relationship is. I've learned that this is hardly the case. I've actually stopped Facebook for about 4 months, but went back on. I don't take Facebook as seriously as I used to and I only use it to keep in contact with distant friends. Anyway, thanks for your support. In a way, my heartbreak taught me a lot of life lessons. I was expecting too much from her and that's where things fell apart. Time can do wonders, especially when it comes to healing an emotional wound. And who knows, maybe next February could be better.

TakingTheSteps likes this.
  6. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I guess you're right for the most part...But if you read my post more clearly, there was a far greater connection. Now that I think of it, I may have said too much because of the heartbreak last year. Valentine's Day was only a contributor as to how I really felt last weekend, and in fact, this post was geared towards my experience last year. Take my word for it, when you experience a gut-retching heartbreak like I have (and you don't even know half of it), you'll understand what's it like. It will teach you many things about yourself that you never knew.

But I could be wrong, maybe you have experienced this. For me, this incident gave me time to re-consolidate myself as a person, one that is more mature, wiser, and so on (especially when it comes to new relationships). As for Valentine's Day, I do think this holiday is overrated and people go to far extremes just to show their appreciation. But anyway, that's just me.

7. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Here are my thoughts, for what they may be worth...

I am 53, never married. It took me years to make peace with the fact that my attraction was to males, not females. I really wanted to be married -- i.e., to a woman -- and have children. So, even though my circumstances are different from those of others, I can attest to years of awkward dating, and being alone on those occasions -- like Saint Valentine's Day -- when society "expects" you to be out on a date. So I can understand the sentiment above.

But the truth is, it isn't just St. Valentine's Day. It's Christmas, New Years, high school Homecoming, Prom, lots of college events, and so on and so on. The holiday isn't the problem. The social expectations aren't the problem -- at least, they aren't a problem any of us can do anything about.

Ultimately, it's up to us to make our peace with the world around us. Or else, not -- and then it isn't the world that is unhappy, but us.

I really believe that the solution is not to look harder for love to be given, but to seek to GIVE love.

Romantic love has it's place, but the truly satisfying thing in life is simply to love. If you want love, give love. Go visit people. Go help the needy. Go check on an elderly neighbor. Get involved in life, and make a difference. It's the corollary to the old advice: if you want a friend, be a friend.

Lots of people who are single -- who never marry, and perhaps never experience "romance" -- nevertheless experience great joy. Not from what is given to them, but in what they give to others.

And, besides, remember the "grass is greener" phenomenon. Lots of people who have been given romantic love don't have all the happiness we imagine it will bring us, if we could only have it. Look at all the handsome or pretty people in Hollywood, who have it all -- and they can't keep a relationship.

I truly believe that no matter what our circumstances, we can find both happiness and fulfillment. It may not be what we thought it would be, but it will happen, if we seek to love, and to give.

Namekian23 likes this.
  8. Gladiatori

Gladiatori Fapstronaut

Sorry about your heartbreak brother. Mine was last February as well, isn't that odd???!?! I bet it was something to do with valentines day too. hmm. I didn't even care at all myself about it. For me it is heartbreak day too.

AND LOOK at the irony of it all. EROS was the Greek god of love, who was known as Cupid to the romans; which is where cupids arrow comes from. To me that is what valentines day is. Just getting pierced by cupids arrow.

This holiday is trash. I wish it didn't exist. All pompery and fiction. True love is not this mushy stuff. True love is when she stays with you when its hard. That Eros part is the easy part.

Namekian23 likes this.
  9. Harvhe

Harvhe Fapstronaut

I hate valentines day too buddy, but look. Here i am a few days on after still alive, a little sad and remorseful over someone I don't speak to anymore i felt very affectionate to (dare i say loved) but still kicking.

Life goes on, the pain hurts but it's a nice reminder to your heart to keep pumping and go do something else, even if you have a self destructive personality when it comes to partners or a fatal attraction to dangerous (to your emotional being) people.

Namekian23 and Gladiatori like this.