Idea for a NoFap Fitbit

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by warpgate, Jul 25, 2020.

1. warpgate

warpgate Fapstronaut

I've had this idea for a fitbit-style watch that would basically help you pursue NoFap by giving you a small shock or warning when it detected you fapping (through, say, motion sensors).

I'm curious to see what people think of this. Would you buy it? It could have much of the additional functionality that a normal fitbit has plus this. It would look similar to other products so that it's discrete but hopefully helpful when getting urges.

I know people will get blockers and a stuff to help them stop. Do you think this is viable?

2. No! I think red chilli pepper on your hands would be a better solution, if you want pain to teach you.

3. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

It’s an interesting idea, but here’s what I feel:
    You’re dependent on PMO. To get out of it, you use a watch that gives you a shock(idk how it’ll know you’re excited). So now you’re relied on that watch.
    What will happen once you remove that Stimulus of Getting a Shock? There are high chances you lose control. See Pavlov’s Dog Experiment, you’ll get the point.

So you’re not learning to be dependent on yourself completely!

4. There's a lot to be said for using indirect methods to achieve a goal. In this case, it'd be a lot easier to give up a device that zaps you once it's served its purpose than it is to quit PMO cold-turkey.

5. thinking_differently

thinking_differently Fapstronaut

That’s plausible. Maybe. This an interesting topic. It will take some experimenting.
    @warpgate you should tag Alexander The Great.

6. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I've never owned one, but I wonder if you could modify a regular apple watch (or similar) to do this? An app would be a bit more cost effective than a whole new product. It couldn't zap you but it could 'punish' you in other ways (email a friend or family member, set off an unpleasant sounding alarm, ring your Mom on speaker phone...)
    Yes until I want to rub my eyes or blow my nose :eek:

thinking_differently likes this.
  7. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

It's true but, just like internet blockers, it gives you a jump start. When you are in your first week or two, your brain tells you that you haven't got much to lose, so you may as well have 'one last go' (etc). If you have a couple of weeks under your belt - even if it was from 'cheating' - you already have a result to be proud of, so you have more motivation to continue the streak.

thinking_differently likes this.
  8. You win some o_O and you lose some :rolleyes:

fredisthebes likes this.
  9. warpgate

warpgate Fapstronaut

These are all good points. I was thinking of detecting sort of the pumping/up and down motion, though it would have to make few mistakes to work well. And yes the goal is to give you a head start. Good point that maybe it could be just software for, like, an apple watch.