1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about music, for a change

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MrDetermination, Mar 15, 2021.

1. MrDetermination

MrDetermination Fapstronaut

Can you think of a musical artist who is, from your point of view, underrated ? Another one who is, still from your point of view, overrated ? Can be any genre, any era, a solo artist or a band. Tell me about these in the comments.

2. my absolute fav is scarlxrd (not for everyone but imo really good)
    most overrated is definitely eminem

TurboBull92 likes this.
  3. swissarmyknight

swissarmyknight Fapstronaut

I think that "overrated" is hard to define since it's an opinion based media, but I'd definitely say that Beyonce is up there for me. #scammys

Girl Band (from Dublin) is a super sick noise rock band; they build up the music meticulously and it reaches almost disturbing levels. Not for everyone, but if you're in the mood some head swaying and head banging it's perfect!

Abzu likes this.
  4. certain_someone

certain_someone Fapstronaut

Dino James I think is a really good artist, but really underrated, maybe that's because a lot of people don't wanna hear songs about hardwork, they want songs that feature hot women in bikinis.

Tony Kakkar I think is a overrated artist, man his songs suck. But his songs always end up on trending page of YouTube since they star so called social media influencer who don't know shit.

5. sam30

sam30 Fapstronaut

Slow jams are the best

YoungLenny and Loving Loveless like this.
  6. Loving Loveless

Loving Loveless Fapstronaut

I listen to only underrated artists now. I won't mention names because some can sing triggering content now and then.

But the channel i found most of them is called IDLEGLANCE.

7. Loving Loveless

I might also listen to a lot of OSTs from movies and games. I can name an overrated OST producer.

Hans Zimmer. You probably know why. Most of his work is collaboration, yet his name appears alone on the release. Case in point, the iconic moment in gaming history referred to as Shephard's Betrayal in Modern Warfare 2, that spiked a lot of emotions because of the music and the cutscence. But guess who really produced the loose ends ost. Lorne Balfe, the ACR OST producer.

As for an underrated. Maybe Thomas Newman. He did the 1917 OST. Or maybe Max Richter. Even Brain Tyler is underrated compared to Zimmer. I've seen people argue thst he is the modern dsy Mozart. Zimmer have good releases. Drink Up Me Hearties, Honour Him, Way of the Samurai... but i do believe that he is given a lot of attention, when those releases are collaboration between other artists.

8. arpegius

arpegius Fapstronaut

There are tons of underrated artists. Depends on your genre. Some songs and artists I can't get enough of right now are
    • The dandy warhols - Styggo, Get off, The last high
    • The strokes - Machu Picchu (overcoming your best in f'd up world)
    • Grouplove - Raspberry
    • MGMT (not too underrated, everybody knows they are incredible)
    Soundtracks? The one that caught my attention lately was when i played FFXV - Valse di Fantastica. Absolutely incredible track. Whole soundtrack was amazing tho

Loving Loveless likes this.
  9. Loving Loveless

I do believe i know this artist or artists from a movie. Did they produce for The Fault in Our Stars?

10. arpegius

arpegius Fapstronaut

Seems so, had to google tho, didn't see the movie. Anyway. Incredible band

11. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

12. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

Anything that's popular. BTS, Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, ... Random totally unknown local musicians often produce music that is at least as interesting as what these megastars create. It's really depressing.

Candun likes this.
  13. Is it weird that I’m 30 and I know all of them sound cloud rappers lol. Let’s go!!! Scar lord, Bexey, Sucide Boys, Ghostmane, Pluto, Jumex, Lil Xan, Lil Tracy, Fat Nick, Puyah, XI Carli.
    Try me

CarP likes this.
  14. 30 isn't "old" anymore lol

TurboBull92 likes this.
  15. Candun

Candun Fapstronaut

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'll throw in Irish rebel songs and Irish songs in general within the underrated category.
    For overrated, every song/artist that won a Grammy this year.

16. Abzu

Abzu Fapstronaut

Foxes, Zedd, Blue, 30STM, Ray Dalton, Sabrina Carpenter, Charli XCX etc. and many more

17. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

My favourite band - Thin Lizzy - is underrated.
    In America, they seem to know only 2 or 3 songs from a 13 year career.

An overrated band is Dire Straits. The word 'dire' always seemed appropriate. :rolleyes:
    The dictionary says: If you describe something as dire, you are emphasizing that it is of very low quality. :p

18. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

Glen Hansard is underrated
    Katy Perry is overrated

19. Pope Francis

Pope Francis New Fapstronaut

I've been listing to Big Country, I think they are pretty underrated.

20. SpaceUnicorn

SpaceUnicorn Fapstronaut

I just want to say, with all due respect that this thread needs some links.

I think we could improve our experience of sitting on our asses looking at the computer screen by having links to all the great music we are talking about.

I'll start with the following for your consideration.