1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Living in a rural village

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by nginx2, May 3, 2016.

1. nginx2

nginx2 Fapstronaut

Hello community,

I am a 20 year old student, who lives in a small village of about 6000 population. I've never experienced, what it's like to live in a big city. The University I study at has got about 1800 students, it is a rather small university. It is about 60km / 40mi from my home, so I commute everyday by car. The small town where the university is located, has about 20k population, so it's yet a fairly small town.

This is not necessarily bad for me, but there is another critical problem, and the worst thing is that I can't do anything about it. The average birth rate is very low in my country. Not only the average is low, but in rural areas, the birth rate is mostly lower than average. So the average age increases, as there are less young people every year. More than half of the People are older than 40. There are villages, where more than one third of the Population is over 60. The more rural the area, the older the society, as young people tend to move into cities. I don't have much experience in life, but I think I can see my village slowly dying. I go for a walk regularly with my dog, and sometimes it's really terrifying, how calm the streets have become. Years ago I remember as a child, when we waited in Queue more than one hour just to get an ice cream in our famous ice Café. Even this ice Café, which used to be overloaded all summer, has become very calm. The playgrounds are abandoned most of the times. When you drive by the local school at noon, you can't see a crowd of pupils leaving the school, but a few pupils on empty sidewalks. There is no disco / club / bar or something for young people to hang out in the evening, but more than enough Restaurants for the old people. To go for a drink, you would have to drive to the neighbour town (30k Pop.) about 10km. But if you want to get drunk, you better get home before 7pm, because the puplic Transportation Ends, or you could call an expensive yellow cab. We used to have a Train Station, but it was closed due to low demand. I must not get drunk, because I always have to get home. I am bound to my car. Here in town we say: "After 7pm the sidewalks are folded up". It's because the roads are usualle empty at that time. Everyone watches TV, plays cards and reads books or surfs the (slow) Internet. No one invites the whole town and has a huge party with loud music. No adolescents doing nonsense and annoying the heck out of adults. At 10pm, you can literally lay down in the middle of a road intersection and sleep, as there is no car at all in the night. At night it is absolutely silent, sometimes you hear just a truck driving in the far distance, or you hear the central heating burning fuel in adjacent houses. When I walk through the streets, I rarely meet some friends, but most of the local friends are retired and thus not really friends, but we just know each other and chat about latest occurences. There is literally no person, who would be interesting for me to do something with, as they are all too old. Every young person I know immediately left the village after finishing school. Most of my friends in my age moved to various locations far away.

My residence has got some qualities, that most people seek when going on holidays, but I am literally tired of being on holiday, LOL. I am so tired of living in this village, but for me it is the best financial option, because I have a job in the neighbour town and I don't have to rent an Apartment, when I live at my parent's house. Commuting by car is much cheaper than living near the university. I got my driving license for more than two years, I've never experienced a traffic jam, yet I am more than 10 hours in the car in one week just driving to the university and there are another 10 hours in one week working as a pizza delivery guy.

I am suffering from these calm circumstances. I would love to get to know new people without having to drive to the next town. If you have lived in a village, you know that information travels faster than light in a village. Retired people are bored and talking all the time. If there is a rumour, it spreads like a torrent download. Everyone starts to seed Information they just got without knowing whether it is actually true. If there is a person walking on the sidewalk, suddenly there are faces on all windows wondering who this is and where he is going. We don't have to be afraid of burglars, because our neighbour will know. Even if anyone just thinks about committing a crime, our neighbour will know. If there was a burglar in our house, our neighbour would already have surveilled the whole area, even before the police would be able to accept a call. This creates social pressure. It is very easy to ruin your reputation in a small village. You cannot get a sexual partner in a village, because from one second to the other, everyone will talk about you and you don't want to be in focus of the whole town! I always hear people talking in the queue of the Supermarket about other people. They share information, which the affected person wouldn't want to be spreaded, regardless. The speculate, what other people do by watching the environment. I totally hate such behaviour. I hate people who always survey the whole town and spread rumours just because they are bored. They shouldn't care what other people, who they don't know, do.

Due to this conditions, I am in forced Hard Mode since ever. What should I do to quit Hard Mode? Few young people, many old people, overaged society, social pressure, Environment adapted to needs of old people, calm rural environment, all these problems are killing me.
    I need an advice. What should I do? I would suggest, that I should go outside and get to know people, but how? My village is like a ghost town.

Sorry for my bad English, I live in Germany.

Best regards

2. hi,
    first of all your village sounds exactly the same as mine, everything you said is like a carbon copy of how i feel about my village, and there are millions of people who are in the exact same position and circumstance, so you are not alone feeling depressed about this topic,

i guess the best advice i could give you is to realise that you are "still" young and you have your whole life ahead of you , the fact that you are going to university is a positive thing as you are keeping busy and building a good foundation for your future, i know that might sound silly to you but im in my 30s and still stuck in a town that i hate, please dont wait for your village to change because it wont and dont sit around waiting for life to "happen", you have to "make" it happen, its very hard work but you will get there eventually,

bottom line is where do you see yourself in 4-5 years? if you dont want to end up stuck in your village forever then you need to start planning your future and take the plunge by moving to somewhere that suits you better, obviously this is not easy to achieve due to money and is very stressfull and scary to do , but i bet if you asked other people at your university what they are planning to do in the future then im sure a lot of them will say that they plan to move away to somewhere better to find employment etc and if they can do it then so can you, your village will always be there and home will always be home, but if you feel like your village is making you feel depressed now then it will only get worse the older you get, i wasted so much precious time and missed out on so many oppertunities by doing nothing at all and staying in my boring town and i would give anything to go back to my 20s and redo it all again, but i guess i let the fear of trying something new and moving away dominate my decisions and i ended up with nothing but regret.

in the meantime keep your hope alive, and keep in mind that things "will" change for the better if you dont give up trying!

ps. your English is perfect!

nginx2 likes this.
  3. nginx2

nginx2 Fapstronaut

Hi fight for life,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you are right, I should look further in the future. In a couple of years, I will have finished my studies, if everything goes well. And I think it is very unlikely, that I will get a job near my current home. I think I should save some money and move away after I got my degree.

4. Right now you don't have many choices, because for most people to quit their studies or transfer is ''too much''.So you gotta finish the studies and get out of there even for a few years, and then see if you belong in the village or in the city far away. The circumstances are not perfect, but what can you do if you were born in that place. At least you're not from thrid world country and you have internet :)

I would have suggested to move out of your village to study just how I did. My village is 30km from capital, but i went to school all my life in the village, and once i was 18 I left the country. I've met my first love, lost virginity there. Met other cool people. But didn't finish my studies though :D.

5. yes complete your studies first, i never went to college and i can tell you that life is more difficult without qualifications so conentrate on that for now and save up your money and keep in mind that while things arent great for you now this will pass and a more vibrant future for you awaits!

by the time you finish university you will be ready to embark on the next phase of your life, you will find a good job or job that you like (remember happiness is more important than money) but you will have some money to plan your weekends, go to places you couldnt afford before, get a nice apartment, maybe work for a year then go traveling round the world,who knows depending on what job sector you plan to enter you could be in the position to work in different countries aswell etc

basically the world is literally your oyster at your age , just got to stay positive and make the most of things for now!

peace.