1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

lol uups I became religious

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Well I really wouldn't have thought this to happen...

So I started with self improvement a while ago and with that I somehow started to believe in God (at least more than before). Funny. It was really not what I intended and I have no social surrounding that would be religious.

I think especially meditation started to open me up for that sort of thing

desmondmiles, Deleted Account and Hck like this.
  2. Do you think you would have chosen to believe in God if you'd never heard of the idea of God before?

3. It's okay and it happens. :)

4. It's natural. You were created to know God and have a relationship with him. If you want to learn more about God from a trustworthy source, I would recommend Mike Winger on YouTube. Melissa Dougherty is also pretty great. Her channel might be good for you, since you mentioned meditation. She knows a lot about new age stuff like that.

The world is evidence of the existence of a Creator. I hope as you continue to open your heart to God, he continues to reveal himself to you. He's incredible <3

desmondmiles likes this.
  5. desmondmiles

desmondmiles Fapstronaut

Definitely not a bad thing. :)

Sometimes God finds His way into your life in ways that you wouldn't expect. I was going through some hard times a while back, and so on a whim I decided to pray. It wasn't something that I had ever done before, it was really just a last ditch effort to get some relief. I had been raised in a Christian household, but I myself wasn't particularly fond of the idea of God as a child, I suppose the idea kind of intimidated me a little bit, but it was just a lack of understanding, really.

Much to my astonishment, it worked. Whenever I was struggling with something after that, I would pray. And it has continued to work, sometimes I don't get an answer, but most of the time I do. And it's very obvious too. o_O

One good example, there was a time when I wasn't getting an answer, and I started to question if God was really out there. So I prayed again, and I said if you're out there, reveal yourself to me, I need to know you're there. Now my father was always particularly reserved when it came to being Christian, he didn't really talk about God that much. But the next morning after I did this prayer, my dad was saying something that happened to a family member. And at the end he said, "Just remember, you can always trust God to get you through things." And I'll never forget that, because it hit me so hard that this was my hint.

You can choose not to believe it, but I know for a fact that He's out there. It's good to hear that you're discovering your faith, it can do great things if you let it. :D

6. desmondmiles

desmondmiles Fapstronaut

What exactly does this prove? You can't believe in something that you don't even know exists. And not only that, how can you definitively say that God would not reveal Himself to someone in a position of absolute ignorance to His existence? You couldn't, because you haven't personally been in that situation.

FellatiousD likes this.
  7. Well done! You've answered your own question! You are now my new favorite person on this site. Sorry @MuscularSherlockHolmes

desmondmiles likes this.
  8. desmondmiles

desmondmiles Fapstronaut

And you've successfully dodged mine. The fact still remains, can you prove God wouldn't have revealed Himself to a person that is unaware of his existence?

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Well he supposedly should be able to do that, according to Christianity. But I'm unaware of his existence and he has chosen not to reveal himself to me, even though I want to learn the truth. Which means I am going to hell for no good reason. The point I was trying to make earlier is that most Christians are Christians because someone raised them under this belief - you said it yourself. You even admitted that you would probably be a Muslim if you were born in the middle East.

desmondmiles likes this.
  10. chill people pls I didn't wanted to start an argument about if god exists or not. All I wanted to do was to be able to share this development of mine with, I don't know, someone.

Also, the way religion is starting to work for me is really the key word 'believe'.If all I have to do is believe, regardless if 'God' exists or not, it really doesn't matter and a discussion like that leads to nothing (imo).

11. Well, if you want to have a relationship with God for eternity, instead of eternal separation from God, then it's important to note that you must do more than simply "believe." The Bible says the even the demons believe in God, and shudder in fear, because they are aware of his power and authority. But clearly the demons are not following God and do not accept Jesus as their savior.