My reason for NoFap

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by NoFapC, Feb 6, 2015.

1. NoFapC

NoFapC Fapstronaut

Hey guys. Guess I'll type my reason if anyone is interested, I think it would also help hit the reason home when I see it typed out infront of me.

So the short is, I have to take control of my life. I am a 24 year old virgin who hasn't accomplished anything, and that has to change. The only thing that I have done that can count as steering my life in the right direction is I'm currently studying engineering, and even this had to be completed already and I should be in my 2nd year of working already, but alas I am currently only in my 4th year of study, 3rd year academically.

Needless to say, something has to change. After watching some youtube videos and stumbling across people talking about nofap, they made me realise why I was masturbating in the first place.

It is because it is a way for me to escape from reality. Even if I wasn't that horny, I would still masturbate just to escape from depression, boring circumstances, anger, hopelessness, frustrated, etc.

The quote from a youtuber that hit it home for me was: "Ultimately you get into a running match with reality where you are constantly trying to push things away and modify your mood with stimulation. It doesn't work, and eventually the real problems pile up until you can't escape at all, and you just spend your entire time running... and life sucks." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0dzEGpl68

So here's to channeling that wasted energy into activities in my life that will enrich it, and to face reality... finally.

2. seventyniner

seventyniner Fapstronaut

Welcome to NoFap!

By joining here, you just did what you couldn't do for so long: face reality. Face your situation. That is a very important first step. And lo, before you knew it, your journey began :)

Feel free to poke around and read people's journals and stories. This place is full of great input. And when you're ready, get an accountability partner and set yourself a goal.

Best of luck!

3. revisio247

revisio247 Fapstronaut

Hello NoFapC,

I'm in the same boat. I never thought about it that way though(escape, running from reality, etc..)Now that you mention it, I have been running from reality for as long as I can remember. I'm 24, haven't had a girlfriend in two years due to lack of desire and generally being outright lame. I fapped on average once per day(until 3 days ago when I started. See journal:http://www.nofap.com/forum/showthread.php?30462-Done-being-a-beta-male!)

I also have had lack of ambition to accomplish my goals. Instead I just memorize a few things about programming and then get a false sense of accomplishment. My parents are financially endowed, so this also kills my motivation to learn my trade, get a job and ultimately start my own life.

Hopefully this finds you well and we can be partners! I am studying programming which I believe makes us both engineers of a sort. Good luck regardless!

4. NoFapC

NoFapC Fapstronaut

Thanks for the support guys! I really needed that.

Today I've been 3 weeks clean, and today is the first time it really hit me hard. I can't stop thinking about sex, it's clouding my mind this weekend and I can't study. But there is no way in hell I am going to fap, for I've been seeing positive results in aspects of my life like I'm more emotionally infested in conversations, I study more than I ever did, being a bit less of a pussy when it comes to girls, etc. All these little things make it already worth it.

It feels like I have an overdose of testosterone injected, my heart is even pumping harder had some trouble sleeping.

How do I get rid of this? It's starting to become detrimental. Maybe I should go play some racquetball or something to get rid of this excess energy?

5. Ics2000

Ics2000 Fapstronaut

Welcome! Great to see you taking the first steps to recovery.

Interesting how you talked about 'fapping even when you didn't feel horny/sexual'.

That's a sure sign of addiction and great you see it! I mean, doing something just to mask other emotions; totally a waste of your time, sexual energy, and only making you feel worse.

Keep that in the front of your mind when you feel triggered - it will pass and you will still see what your doing is all positive!