1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

New to NoFap

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by PMO addict, Apr 21, 2018.

1. PMO addict

PMO addict Fapstronaut

Hi everyone. I'm kind of new to NoFap. I guess I heard about NoFap on a workout forum when I was like 15. Back then I was already doing PMO almost daily and if I went more than 2 days I'd get a headache or a cold. Now I am 28. This was kid of my time line.

before april 2013: probably tried some periods of abstinence
    abstinent for 1-2 months in like may of 2013ish first time finding out recovery/meetings/etc
    a few weeks relapse... fapped while reading SLAA recovery book... lol...
    5-6 months abstinent until 2/1/14 using recovery
    2/1/14 2.5 years no PMO until July 2016 (using other types of support groups mainly)
    2 weeks "on PMO"
    5 months "off"
    some time "on"
    ~1-2 months "off" (2017)
    some time on
    some time on and off
    ~70 days no PMO (between 11/9/17 and 1/20/18 something like that)
    a few weeks on a few weeks off
    recently I got 20 days off
    then gave up again
    Now I am on day 3...

Insomnia is usually a killer for me and a lot of my relapses have happened when I've had insomnia overnight.

Anyway I thought I'd try making an account and participating in the forums more. There are a lot of reasons I want to do NoFap but the clearest one for me is my memory. I am always putting my memory to the test with what I do. And I can tell when I do PMO my memory is much lower. I've had a lot of compare and contrast to be able to know that's the main variable it seems to be most affected by. So maybe NoFap can help me get past the limits I previously kept getting stuck at.

Thanks for all your posts I've been trying to read them and follow along each day. I think its a miracle even for me just to have 3 days.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Welcome! I'm glad you're here. This site has really helped me, so I hope it will do the same for you. Keep coming back!

PMO addict likes this.
  3. Hello and welcome to NoFap!

It looks like you have a lot of experience with abstaining, but you seem to lose the drive to abstain for a good while after a long streak. If you could fix that, you'd be a lot better off.

Stay clean and strong!

PMO addict likes this.
  4. PMO addict

PMO addict Fapstronaut

Thanks! Yeah I hope it makes the difference this time.

5. PMO addict

PMO addict Fapstronaut

Thanks! Yeah that sounds about right. Probably staying more in touch with NoFap message board could help. That's one thing I didn't do. The times I got the most time clean was the times I directly addressed my addiction with meetings or message borad.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Protagoras

Protagoras Fapstronaut

Three days is good. Keep it going. HERE are some things helping me.

PMO addict likes this.
  7. Awakening123

Awakening123 Fapstronaut

This was a big problem for me until I started meditation. You can listen to guided meditation on apps like headspace, calm, insight etc or you can download guided meditation mp3s from Youtube to your mp3 player (if you're avoiding using phone at night). Goodluck!

PMO addict likes this.
  8. Welcome. Glad you are here.

Take some time to read the reboot material (available here => http://www.nofap.com/getting-started) and come up with a plan for what you will do when you are faced with urges. It has good advice, so don't skip it! :)

Perhaps start writing a journal - if you feel comfortable telling people about happened and what's going on now, you will start to feel accountable to them. You may even inspire others. It's a nice feeling! This will help your recovery.

Also, try to add something into your life that makes you the kind of person who doesn't engage in PMO. Think about doing:
    Something you enjoy
    Something you're good at
    Something important
    Something for somebody else, without thought of reward (and if you DO get an unintended reward, do something ELSE, perhaps for a different person or group).

Read the journals of others - we all learn from each other. For example, I received the above good advice from a far more experienced member of the community who shared his knowledge. Don't just stay within your own age group or part of the world. Share your knowledge in a respectful way. Read, learn, apply.

Look around the forums, get to know people. Everyone is friendly, and will try to support you. We're all in the same boat here. :)

Be kind to others and others will be kind to you, both here and IRL.

I wish you a successful reboot.

Awakening123 likes this.