1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

On diets (best and worst).

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by galaxim, May 26, 2014.

1. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Responding to the fair critics, I believe that a better article can be found here:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...very-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/
    The scientific study can be found here:
    http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182351

I have made an edition to the general post and I deleted a later comment of mine, because this article reflects more my original purpose, which was to spread scientific research, which I recognize that the original article (just a ranking) was not.

On a personal basis, I think that there's no need to rush to judge people based on a sole opinion, or a few lines (as I said "diets that cut eveything") that were written "on the fly" late at night. We need to be tolerant with each other, specially in this type of forum. I think that an "agree" or "disagree" is always better that to say "you know nothing about X or Z" or "you're such and such". I'm not perfect and I'm here to learn, but don't take for granted that I don't know about nutrition.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. galaxim

galaxim Fapstronaut

Yes, seriously. Actually, as I've stated before, diets that cut with "everything" of something (calories, carbohidrates, etc) are not good for your health.

You're arguing with argumentum ad populum: that something has been chosen by an (alleged) majority of people doesn't make it good.

I just wanted to give a different approach on the subject, as I've seen that some of you are on Paleo (I presume for your response that you aswell).

Best regards,

Galaxim.

3. NotAfraid

NotAfraid Fapstronaut

I was just going to ask the same.

What I know:

How many calories or carbs doesn't matter. The quality of calories is what counts and their structure. Paleo diet is the best possible diet, because it's what our body has learned to digest in the early days of humanity. Everyone on Paleo knows how good it is. It's much more fulfilling, you lose weight, you feel great, you think clear and why shouldn't you? Your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was in perfect shape and was eating the same stuff too.

People are afraid of fat too. The logic behind that is just stupid.
    Fat isn't bad for you, it's only good for you. It has to be natural though. We, males especially, need fat. Testosterone(good for muscles and fat loss) is made out of cholestrol, which is closely connected to fat. Fat also makes you feel fuller, which is very important in loosing weight.

Cutting calories lowers your metabolism and eats your muscles.

I eat a lot of meat and fruits(apples are my favorite) and then I usually do intermittent fasting for 5-24 hours. I've lost 9.9lbs in this month and I know I would've lost even more if it wasn't for my hypothyroidism for which I haven't got my thyroxines yet.

What I know for a fact is, that what has been natural for human beings always is only good for you today.

Throw that Snickers bar away and grab an apple.

4. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

I notice #1 and #3 are the DASH diet and the Mayo Clinic diet.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    My grandmother did both of those diets, lived to be 97, and was the WORST COOK ON THE PLANET EARTH. Those cookbooks, Mayo Clinic and DASH, have you read them? They are monstrosities. If I had to choose between fifteen additional years of life and eating salt, cream and the occasional cinnamon bun, I'll take the good food thank you.

No really, I eat my veggies, and I watch the glycemic index of foods, and I keep my meat consumption low, but keep your hands off my whole milk! High calorie foods exist for a reason! Some of us use those calories running around you know. And salt, a very personal thing, if you're out in the heat you're gonna need that to maintain balanced electrolytes. No one-size-fits-all, health experts.

5. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

There is a great TED talk on the fact that "paleo" doesn't really mean anything in that while the concept is to return to the diet of our ancestors, if you look at different geographical regions, the diets were extremely varied and actually not at all what are described as today's paleo diets. There is actually no historical precedent to the paleo diet. I do think it is healthier than a lot of other diets.

The medical establishment has sadly been behind in the understanding of nutrition. I don't give much credence to these rankings. It was decided partly based on panel, which is becoming an outdated way to decide things. Also US news and world report is not really a great source for rankings in my view.

6. NotAfraid

NotAfraid Fapstronaut

Would you like to give us a link to the TED talk you're referring to, please?

7. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

8. NotAfraid

NotAfraid Fapstronaut

I'm shocked... And speechless.

I didn't know that humans have ruined so many things in our world. The thing about the bananas was just shocking. I don't really know what to do anymore. Everything seems to be a lie.

9. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing that stygian. The lady knows what she's talking about.

It makes me feel very warm and fuzzy about the miracle of agriculture. What amazing luck to be born in modern times, to inherit the genius and labor of our ancestors, in the form of tasty fruits and vegetables. And now we have global transport too! No excuse to reach for a snickers bar.

Lemme just give a plug for the best breakfast ever...
    --- Deep Fried Tofu and Bananas ---
    Take: 2-3 oz. firm tofu, diced, and 1 barely-ripe banana, sliced.
    Coat with breading: 3 Tbsp flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, pinch salt.
    Deep fry in 1 inch hot corn oil until golden and crispy.
    Sift powdered sugar over top. Careful! Succulent insides hold heat very well!