1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Relationships

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Headspace, Sep 12, 2016.

1. GSarosi

GSarosi Guest

For me I lost count. LOL.

Headspace likes this.
  2. Veritech

Veritech Fapstronaut

Sometimes when in a dating slump, we feel desperate to get out of the slump and we end up perceiving something that is not actually there. We then desperately try to convince ourselves to do something that our conscience is telling us to avoid.

I have bolded some of my personal concerns above.

She clearly does not see you the same way you see her. She cannot even call your time together a "date". She does not believe in monogamy; thus you will be setting aside your principles regarding your desire for a committed relationship.

I cannot foretell the future as to when you will get out of your slump or when the hurt from your previous relationship will go away.

But you need to be stronger. Keep up with your standards regarding who you choose date. Keep to your principles as to what you desire in a relationship.

Otherwise, you can get caught up in a relationship that is leading to a certain end. We do not get that wasted time back.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    ILoathePwife likes this.
  3. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

True, but I anticipated it a lot and for me it definitely was a date, especially when I think about the way I asked her for it. It was the most accomplished way I ever asked a girl out: without any texting. On the other hand, I don't like the concept of "dating" that much myself, and I thought that may be she just wanted to get to know me in a more neutral way. As I said, she told me that she didn't consider it a date but told me as well that she doesn't think in this absolute sort of categories.

May be, but I didn't try to convince myself desperately of anything. I also do question a lot of things other people take for granted. I just tried to understand her "relativistic" view of relationships. May be it's more natural. Who knows? I like the position Teal Swan (who is monogamous) takes in this video. I am ready to have my worldview shaked every now and then:

That hurt is gone. The lessons learned remain. My date with the new woman wasn't my first one after this had happened. I had two more one year ago, and they were fine, but nothing more happened as I was about to leave the city. (One of these girls is still "on my list", though. She knows it and half a year after our date she expressed to me that I still was on her list as well. She's in New Zealand now and will return in six months. Originally, we said that we'll just wait and see how we will like each other when she returns.)

But I think that people are like own little universes with their own natural laws, and sometimes you'll have to be open-minded and non-judgemental to feel into the other person. That's what I tried with that woman. I can still keep to my principles, as I did, obviously. I just took some time to make my mind up instead of jumping to quick conclusions.