1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Overwhelmed

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

The heroin addict says I can't help myself, I could not resist. Some scoff at that, but I believe them. Once they allow life to overwhelm them, they can't say no.

Yesterday I allowed something to overwhelm me. I never blatantly looked, I never thought I crossed the line, but at some point, I knew God was not thrilled with me. Background, I have my line in the sand that I refuse to cross, but is “My line” exactly where God wants it to be? Not likely.

Today I am starting a stricter line. I often say, “Always work on the habit of turning from lust.” Yesterday, I was duped into getting sloppy again. Today, I am upping the standards again, and... the Holy Spirit doesn't seem a million miles away (like He did yesterday).

Second, for some, risky TV overwhelms, bad finances do it, strained relationships overwhelm, or, bad thoughts get us. Consider spending 5 minutes to pray about and write down what slams you.

Third, how often can you resist after you are overwhelmed?

Fourth, do you have access to information on how to go to war with what overwhelms you? Can you systematically look through old articles to see how to attack the problem? Today, consider making it a goal to go through “x” amount of articles daily to start to make a list of how to attack what overwhelms you.

Fifth, consider doing a Google search “Verses ____.” Fill in the blank with what overwhelms you. Then you can study, pray over, and print out verses that will solve one of the biggest things that bring you down.

Sixth, NoFap has a search function as well. Try putting what overwhelms you into it and see what turns up.

Seventh, James 3:2 For we all stumble and sin in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says [never saying the wrong thing], he is a perfect man [fully developed in character, without serious flaws], able to bridle his whole body and rein in his entire nature [taming his human faults and weaknesses].” Consider praying twice daily:

“Father, take away this spirit of lust, and help me to control my tongue.”

Finally, make it a priority to collect information that helps you battle things that overwhelm you. Doing so will give you more things to turn to when bad things happen.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Yesterday I felt overwhelmed. To try to fight back I pulled up the article I referenced Friday about 20 things to think about. That got my thinking on a better track and I thought: “Pray about the fruits of the Spirit, love joy peace etc.”

I would love to say that heaven opened up and all my problems were solved. But... what really happened was, I was now getting busy, I was starting to climb out of my deep “rut,” and I now had a goal of what to think about.

Today, I realize, I have not read my printout of my verses about love in weeks. If I treat other people better, they likely will treat me better. Today I read those verses. Today I prayed often:

“Father, help me to turn from lust and fill me with your love.”

When we are tired, overwhelmed, frustrated, or exhausted, it is vital to pray a prayer like this one “before” and during tempting situations. If we start praying this in earnest before temptation skyrockets, then the Holy Spirit might just remind us to pray it “instantly” when a real temptation starts.

Second, when overwhelmed, review your quitting goals. Tip: Never say, “I don't care right now.” Instead say, “These are my goals, and this _______ is why I want to quit.”

Third, make a plan of action. It's not a miracle plan. You won't likely go from depression to full joy, but you will be doing something. Thinking about something new. Not rehashing what is overwhelming you over and over and over again.

Fourth, patiently work on your plan to turn things around. Prayerfully, ask the Holy Spirit to show you how to change so that your future can be brighter. Then pound a few scriptures into yourself so that the Holy Spirit pounds the darkness out of you.

Finally, when you fight back with all your might when are overwhelmed, at some point, someday, you will be flying, instead of continually getting stuck in that rut.

Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Today I am writing about serious prayer. It is so serious that I am recommending praying over two verses for 5 minutes each, first.

Romans 1:24 ESV Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves.”
    Matthew 5:29 ESV If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell.”

If you want to increase the odds of freedom, please pray over each verse for 5 minutes.

Darkness will attack and sometimes start to overwhelm you. To fight back use the verses for quitting for direct temptation, but what if the temptation is overwhelming and constant?

After fully repenting of lust, consider praying:

“Jesus, please cover me with Your blood. Forgive me for ______ and _______. Thank you for Your cross. Thank you for taking a crown of thorns for me. Thank you for taking nails for me. Thank you for taking a spear for me. I commit to submitting to Your Ways (delete this line if it is not true). I pray that You would fill this room with Your presence.”

Second, do you want the Holy Spirit with you at all times? If so consider praying:

“Holy Spirit, I want Your presence all the time. Please help me to know Your ways.”

Third, please skip these prayers on days when you are not sincere and totally ready to change. The blood of Christ and His cross are very serious. Only pray about them when you are fully committed.

Finally, when overwhelmed, decide if you are fully committed. If you are, these prayers will have great power for you.