1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Pleasure

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We search and chase for pleasure thinking that it has some answers. We think increased pleasure will lead to happiness. Instead, pleasure in excess always ends badly.

Bibleask.org noted the following:

“Solomon the wise wrote, “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity” (Ecclesiastes 1:2). Solomon stated his experience with the material things of life: “I said in my heart, “Come now…therefore enjoy pleasure”; but surely, this also was vanity… I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards. I made myself gardens and orchards… I made myself water pools… I acquired male and female servants… Yes, I had greater possessions of herds and flocks than all who were in Jerusalem before me. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the special treasures of kings and of the provinces…”

“So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem… Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure…Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done… And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 2:1-11).

By the word vanity, Solomon tried to show that external experiences cannot fulfill the inner hungers of the heart. Material blessings, do not grant true happiness. A sincere approach to God is not made through the external senses, but through an inner relationship with Him. For God is spirit (John 4:24), and must, therefore, be approached by man’s mind not senses. Only in such a relationship can man find fulfillment and joy.

The word vanity is used also of “idols” as things vain and without value, and of their worship (2 Kings 17:15; Jeremiah 2:5; 10:8). Some say that in Ecclesiastes there is not a word against idolatry, yet the word vanity in there is one commonly used of idols and their worship. Solomon stressed that anything man may strive for instead of his Creator and listening to Him is “vanity.”

The Whole Duty of Man
    Therefore, Solomon concluded, “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil” (Ecclesiastes 12:13,14). Thus, anything man may seek in place of God and obedience to Him is “vanity.”

Doing God's will leads to purpose and joy. Chasing anything else is just like chasing the wind.

Pray: “Father, take away my love of pleasure and help me to love Your will.”