1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The truth about solitude

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Dec 14, 2022.

Do you like solitude?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2023.
  1. Yes.

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Sometimes.

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. People who don't like or even give solitude a chance will never understand the peace and steadiness that comes with going solo, every day feels filled with so much progress since there aren't any people getting in your way, pulling you this way and that, locking you down with their needs, wants, and demands, yelling, crying, vitriol.

For those of us that enjoy the solo life, you know the feeling, you want to keep your train of thought uninterrupted, it feels so much better going through your day with full momentum, no friction.

Out in the woods off the shoulder of a small town I am not beholden to others, I am off grid and don't have to owe anyone anything, it's pure freedom, the sound of the animals and the fresh air, the patter of the rain, the quiet, the smells of the woods, epic.

My favorite part is that I don't have to talk or do what others want, I fish, hunt, and grow foods in my green house, everything is worked out and streamline using nature to provide, I finally have my kingdom of 1.

I tried the group thing, lived in a city, had my people, friends and family, but I was miserable, always dismissed, ignored and laughed at for my ideas, it was torture, since the pandemic my life took a turn, thinking that I was for sure going to die considering the ENTIRE PLANET SHUT DOWN, I just had to bite the bullet and ditch that life and do what I wanted before I died miserable smothering under a group.

So the truth will be different for everyone but a lot of people want to experience solitude but are scared to just go for it, if you understand what you're getting into then do it, but if not then well you have some planning to do.

2. berylliumwages

berylliumwages Fapstronaut

I long for solitude, but instead I am shackled to a dependent mother with worsening dementia that can't live alone. It's a living hell. Before my father died and I was forced to move, I lived in a little 200 square foot cabin in the woods for a year. It was the only time in my life I was happy.

3. AsItComes

AsItComes Fapstronaut

I feel like solitude is the only way to get to know yourself, you can't do that when you're surrounded by people telling you who you are, plus the non stop chatting that comes with it, I would rather be quiet than talk about the same non-sense over and over again. In today's society if you're quiet you're weird, if you delete your socials you are weird, if you talk about topics like death (I guess it's because people don't want to think about that, I guess most of as think we're going to make it after all, that everyone else can die but not us) you're also a weirdo. Technology has really fucked us, people were much more connected in the past and enjoyed life more I think.
    What you decided to do is great, I am really happy for you, I wish you a good life

4. I think it's more like we fucked ourselves with technology. Tech isn't inherently but, we tend to abuse it rather than use it in an innocuous productive way.

again likes this.
  5. PeacocksTale

PeacocksTale Fapstronaut

Well done figuring this out for yourself man. I dream of having my own off grid life for a short period of time. I am currently restricted by knowledge and finances.

I found a course online that has given me some informations, but I still have to complete it. The other barrier is finding the money to pay it off and save enough to spend on materials and a house already made hopefully.

I'd love to hear how you did it man, if you have the time.

6. I don't live off the grid, but I'm pretty isolated. I just don't have any friends anymore. I have stopped dating. I don't live in my hometown. I'm estranged from the small family I once had.

But don't read this as a cry for help, or as some kind of problem I'm having.

I'm ok with this, I just state this as fact. I write this to relate to this thread.

It's pretty deep isolation, maybe 95-99% of what Deleted Account's described.

Chasing other people, worrying about people, trying to understand people, wanting people, needing people and trying to please other people is a fool's game.