1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Triggers

Go to the Forum section.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Even if we know our triggers... we can fall. Why. Because we often are not prepared. Background: My daughter practices spiking at home more than anyone on her volleyball team. When the big game happens the other girls want to hit the big spike to win the point. But many are not prepared. She is. She hits the big spike.

To prepare for triggers, pray: "Father, help me to turn aggressively from sin," before the trigger starts to happen. Maybe your trigger is problem relationships. Prepare for the problems before they even start happening. Plan to instantly go to the verses for quitting (I added a new verse today: Romans 1:24-25) when they start happening (If you are triggered).

Today, write out your pretrigger plan. It could look something like this example:
    "She will be mad at me again. As I walk in the door I will pray twice: "Father, help me to run from lust." I will try to calm her/him down, but after I fail I will focus on praising the Lord this hour. Focus on finding my purpose. I will think about living the way the scriptures say to live. I will run to the scriptures if I am overwhelmed. I will find a positive activity to do."

If you do the exact right thing today - living God's way, will you get a miracle from God today? Maybe. But what if you live God's way again tomorrow, and again next week? Miracle help? Maybe. But what if you just keep living God's way? Will you someday come home, and she is not mad at you?

At some point (a year passes quickly), a miracle could actually happen. Maybe he/she changes towards you. Maybe you have changed. Maybe Jesus' Light is shining on you so brightly that you can easily ignore what she/he says.

Finally, your trigger probably is nothing like this. But you can use the above example to write out a pretrigger plan that fits your biggest triggers.

Pray - Prepare - Win.

For the full article https://forum.nofap.com/index.php?threads/praying-about-triggers.323239/

Azzure and Huskerjim like this.
  2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Psychology recommends charting what you do every hour of your week.

Simply use something like a Google calendar and write in what activity you do during every free hour. Then, at the end of the week review how each activity made you feel and what caused increased temptation. Then, slowly start to replace activities that bring you down, tempt you, or are passive and replace them with better activities.

Unless you are 18 don't change from sitting in front of the TV 7 days a week with 7 days of going out. You will be exhausted. But slowly, start making positive changes. Start adding physical activities, and hobbies. Start adding spiritual activities.

Feel free to plan a bunch of changes, but especially with physical ones – start slowly and work your way up.

Charting forces you to learn exactly what you are doing that is causing issues. This method will show you which days are causing a spike in temptation. What activities during which hours are causing a spike in temptation. Show you what activities make you feel bad, which then lowers your determination.

Once you have your information you can print out articles about which activities would be great replacements for the negative ones. Then pray about what you should stop doing and what you should start doing.

Bad activities cause traps. We will fall into them. Good activities lead to strength and the power to win.