1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What Does it Take to Change a Mind?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Was thinking of posting this on the Good TED Talks thread but since most of the debates take place in this section I thought I'd post it here. She makes some good points about how people aren't as open-minded as they think they are, the importance of trust and respect in a disagreement, how emotions influence our disagreements, the role community and society play in how we think and how disagreeing can be a good thing.

Here are some questions: When was the last time you changed your mind? What was it that caused you to change your mind? How long did it take for you to change your mind?

2. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

There was a news story about a man, a tattoo artist, who tatted up his dog. He claimed to have have done it as a way to ID his dog. (Lots of pet thefts by homeless people in that community) He sedated and anestethised (sp) the dog while he did it. A huge fuss blew up over it in the news. All kinds of hate was being fired at this guy as if it were some kind of horrible animal abuse, ect. People wanted him jailed for it. And it's easy to get chip implants if you want to ID your pet. I thought it was a completely insane overreaction on the part of the critics. The artist was well intended. It's not like he just got drunk and tatted up the dog for shits and giggles. So I didn't think it was any big deal. But since I have no experience at all with ink I sought another perspective. One of my co-workers has extensive body art and is vegan, so I asked her about it. She pointed out that since the dog has no ability to consent to being inked up that made it wrong. Jail might be too much but this guy needs to admit he was wrong, in her view. I was persuaded by her point of view. Mind changed.

3. I've always thought that changing someone's mind has more to do with the believer having the humility to embrace conflicting perspectives more so than the actual validity of the facts/quality of the argument being presented. The most intelligent and measured people I know are always the first to second guess their beliefs in the constant search for truth, while the more ignorant folks seem to assert their intelligence at every opportunity, which greatly blinds them from new perspectives and ideas.

This idea has a psychological basis too and is known as the Dunning Kruger effect. It's pretty fascinating