1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What's with this speech pattern?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Reborn16, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

So I've been watching a bit of news lately, as you all are I'm sure... Without over doing it, I usually just watch the nightly report and leave it there.

Anyways, I can't help but notice many politicians, commerce reps, health reps, and media spokespeople alike, all have one thing in common. They start one sentence right after the last one ends. So the pauses are instead on important words somewhere in the middle of each sentence, but almost never between sentences.

At first I thought this was a bad habit, like some insecure way of not letting anyone else get another word in... But with the news anchors doing it too I'm not so sure.

Can anyone say if this is a speaking method learnt somewhere? Or more likely a habit? And is it useful to adopt when giving a speech for school or work I wonder? Thanks!

Normal example: Many scientists are working on a covid vaccine. In fact, there's two separate studies in our country.

Observed example: Many scientists are working on a covid vaccine.In fact, there's two separate studies in our country.

2. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

That makes a lot of sense. People might be getting used to jump-cuts on youtube videos or the like, and now a real person doing a 'one take' speech needs to string it all together in the most animated way possible, with no breaks...

Gmork likes this.
  3. Reborn16

Reborn16 Fapstronaut

That was a good read, makes me think of the changes we've seen and new changes to come with fast media catering to shorter attention spans or different interests.