Too old for a new start. Loneliness is crashing me...

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, May 31, 2021.

1. Kung_fu_panda_

Kung_fu_panda_ Fapstronaut

No... You are not a fool... You are old experienced person just like master oogway.... You have to find inner peace....The past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it

CAKCy and ELITE2BE like this.
  2. ELITE2BE

ELITE2BE Fapstronaut

My man’s here spewing pure gold!!
    Preach brother!!

CAKCy likes this.
  3. Kid, if you are this wise at 17, I can't imagine what the future will bring for you.
    One note though... YOU learn from my bitter past. I don't have much time left to learn anything new...

Toni7 and ELITE2BE like this.
  4. I couldn't agree more!

WanderTruth, Toni7 and ELITE2BE like this.
  5. ELITE2BE

ELITE2BE Fapstronaut

Brother enough with the negative attitude, please. There is greatness within each and every one of us. Our potential is limitless, and is not bound to any age or time-frame. People have created miracles in their late lives. It is just a matter of unlocking this potential. Never is it late to take action. Please don’t throw-in the towel yet. I am not saying this just to make you feel better, I have utter faith in what I say. Also, I very rarely open-up discussions on online forums, I just try to advice (with the little humble knowledge that I have) and cheer-up people. But it is NOT hypocrisy to turn to GOD in your time of need. I am not here to force religion on you or anybody, that’s not me, never was. I was just touched by your post, and really want to extend a helping hand, by sharing what has worked for me and many others (with complete confidence). Again, it is never too late. Just listen to your heart, it will guide you.

Stay safe.

WanderTruth, Toni7 and CAKCy like this.
  6. One can choose to live the facts.
    One can also choose to ignore them.
    I had a heart attack 10 years ago that almost killed me.
    Now, after 10 years, the symptoms of an oncoming attack are returning and I choose not to act upon them.
    You may call it "negative attitude". I don't.
    Thank you for trying to cheer me up but I'm telling you again: Your faith doesn't work for me. If your God is real He should be busy saving little innocent babies. Not me.
    My guidance is not my heart. It's my brain.
    Again: I appreciate your offer of a helping hand BUT religion is not an option for me.

Toni7 and ELITE2BE like this.
  7. UncleBarnacle

UncleBarnacle Fapstronaut

I'm your age. Here's what I found.

If you say "I'm a loser," the universe says "Ok."
    If you say "I'm finished," the universe says "Ok."
    If you say "No one is ever going to love me again," the universe says "Ok."

But if you say:

"I'm going to change my life, starting now" and take massive, drastic action-
    (I hate to bring up Tony Robbins, but this is his thing)
    "I'm going to spend the next 15 years making up for the shitty life I led before"
    "I'm going to get me a new partner"
    "I'm going to ferociously battle this depression, and start appreciating any little thing I can think of - the bird that lands on the sill - the coffee in my mouth - each breath that enters and leaves my body"

The universe says "Ok."

Life really, really doesn't give a shit what you do.

But one choice feels better than another.

I'm not talking about walking around saying "All is well! All is well!" when it's not.

But it's up to you and no one else...make your choice and go from there.

Be ferocious.

"Get mad, you sons of bitches, get mad." Blake, "Glenn Garry Glen Ross."

"Wishing you luck, Scrooge McDuck, let's hear you cluck, because we give a fuck."

8. "...Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools..."
    Rudyard Kipling - If

That used to be me.
    I've already been... reprimanded for having a negative attitude.
    I don't have 15 years left, my friend.
    There's no fuel left... I'm running on fumes.
    Thanks for your effort to snap me out of it.
    But I'm REALLY thankful that you give a fuck!

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

As I am 24, I'd be lying if I said I can relate completely to your exact situation. However, you do have my sympathies.

I get the impression you don't like it when people use platitudes to try and make you feel better (who does?). Especially when the things you feel bad about are not in your head, they are very real concerns or very real events. In that regard we are much the same. Having said that, I do believe that it is possible for you to at least improve your mindset and take gradual steps to make yourself more content.

You are 58, and have health problems. Ok fair enough. But I'd hardly call that age too old to do anything. Maybe you can't run a marathon but you could spend time out in nature, walking short distances. You could consider getting another pet, and showering them with the same love you gave Lucy. Take the time to think about what you can practically do and then do those things. The alternative is to submit to the limiting thought patterns you currently display and not do anything, but doing that will just make you feel worse. You are a good man, selflessly looking after an unwell parent, a strong man, persevering despite everything. Why give up now?

WanderTruth, Toni7 and CAKCy like this.
  10. I'll have to catch up on this thread later but some of the first posts since last night reminds me of this song, which for me is one that has really hit home and I go back to from time to time. The part in the beginning about the losses in his life at the time is important. For background, he developed focal dystonia which is bad news for a guitarist - but this guy ended up learning how to play with his non-dominant hand and as you'll see he's still amazing:

Toni7 and CAKCy like this.
  11. Kung_fu_panda_

Are you suffering from financial problems...?

12. Kung_fu_panda_

You have lots of time remaining to learn.... If you believe in yourself....

13. It does not matter how many time you have left. No one knows I suppose.
    How you wish to spend it?

As for Kypling:

“To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”...

...Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it
    And—which is more—you will be a Man my son!”

And thank you for the poem. I did not know it. I am not familiar with English/American literature but in general I do like literature. If you like reading - as for repay for the poem - and want to read something perhaps Magda Szabo The door will satisfied you.
    Any other recommendation?

1 person likes this.
  14. Robindale

Robindale Fapstronaut

Another Fapster forwarded this link to me on gratitude and I found it helpful (). Perhaps you might enjoy it too. We are all responding to your post trying to help and wishing you the best. May our collective goodwill brighten your day.

CAKCy and toziko like this.
  15. silentmike

silentmike Fapstronaut

I like to think that in real life we should try as hard as possible to not do very bad decisions. Like committing crimes, spending money on risky things - like gambling, cheating relatives, etc. I suppose those are activities of high risk, they might with some very small probability make as very happy, but for most people they are disastrous.

CAKCy likes this.
  16. L00k

L00k Fapstronaut

Stop playing the victim. You have an important mission in this life - breaking through this barrier you have in front of you is the key.

Let's fckin go!

P.S.
    58 year old you say?

D.S.

CAKCy and brassknucks like this.
  17. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

BASED!

CAKCy likes this.
  18. Thank you for trying to understand. Some of your suggestions do make sense. Getting another pet is not an option. Whenever my wife left for vacation (she is from another country) and I stayed behind to be with Lucy, I stressed the whole time what would happen to her if something happened to me. A pet, and the responsibility towards it, are exactly the same (imho) as those of a child. I wouldn't father a child at my age because I wouldn't be around to be a father for him/her while growing up. The same applies to a pet.

I could explain how/why I reached the end of the line. The story is very long and very boring.

Thanks again for spending time to offer a helping hand.

Toni7 likes this.
  19. He IS amazing! All I can say is that for a car to be able to restart it has to have fuel left. He had fuel left....

20. THAT is also part of the equation. As I said before I have been out of work for the last almost 14 years. The savings I had, kept me going. But they, like myself, have a limit...