1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by mormongurl

Hello everyone,
A background about me can be read in a post found in my profile. Today, I would like to share my thoughts and epiphanies on my relapse (after 20 days).
I recently learned in the institute class that if we are faced with temptations, the best thing we should do is to depart, just like what Moses and Joseph of Egypt did.
President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) gave the following suggestion on how to resist Satan’s temptations:
“The importance of not accommodating temptation in the least degree is underlined by the Savior’s example. Did not he recognize the danger when he was on the mountain with his fallen brother, Lucifer, being sorely tempted by that master tempter? [see Matthew 4:1–11.] He could have opened the door and flirted with danger by saying, ‘All right, Satan, I’ll listen to your proposition. I need not succumb, I need not yield, I need not accept—but I’ll listen.’
“Christ did not so rationalize. He positively and promptly closed the discussion, and commanded: ‘Get thee hence, Satan,’ meaning, likely, ‘Get out of my sight—get out of my presence—I will not listen—I will have nothing to do with you.’ Then, we read, ‘the devil leaveth him.’
“This is our proper pattern, if we would prevent sin rather than be faced with the much more difficult task of curing it. As I study the story of the Redeemer and his temptations, I am certain he spent his energies fortifying himself against temptation rather than battling with it to conquer it” (The Miracle of Forgiveness [1969], 216–17).

So, lesson relearned, the next time I'm faced with temptation, I won't entertain the thought, rise up from my bed (or away the place I'm in) and go or do something else instead. I hope this helps
jmch, Beaker, Marsmaster and 2 others like this.
unity777 more_vert
unity777
Thank you Mormongurl, yes that is very helpful. Entertaining the thoughts even for a few seconds has been a weakness of mine and makes it much harder. Preventing it is a far better way. Thank you for sharing that :)
Marsmaster likes this.