1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Have anybody on this forum quit facebook and social media ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by ReSweep, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PrevCDM

PrevCDM Guest

I realized that I was addicted to getting validation. I didn't like that. I must earn my own inner worth first, and then I'd probably go back to Fb only to stay easily reachable for people I normally wouldn't be easily reachable for. (Though they could just call, but times have changed)

2. stevosmusic

stevosmusic Fapstronaut

I've been getting off facebook. At first it was really hard but now I just think its dumb. Very little desire to get on it. Its sad we need to use a site to get attention.

3. rabbitz23

rabbitz23 Fapstronaut

I opened my Facebook account after i started NoFap lol, i've been using it strictly as a means of communication, i saw the posts people make and the picture stuff.. To me its like oh so that's what your daughter looks like now.. I've posted some pictures that i took over the years but that's basically about it.

I've also managed to connect with a girl i went to school with and we had an awesome conversation, and also talked to a friend i studied in college with and we been actually hanging out and having fun, its great for connecting with people - arranging meetings to meet on real life.. But i also added lots of people that are relatives/extended family that i just really have nothing to say to, i liked a few of their pictures, typed some nice stuff!.

I am not an excessive facebook user, i usually just go on it on my laptop once every 4-5 days.

4. steez

steez Fapstronaut

I have just frozen my facebook account (for about two months, until end of highschool)and we will see. Recently it was the cause of me feeling guilty, because i knew i should do more important stuff. If i won't miss it after this period i'll consider getting rid of it completely.

5. oni543nanog

oni543nanog Fapstronaut

I don´t have any social account, in real life, i don´t have friends, so it isn´t useful for me

6. procrastinator625

procrastinator625 New Fapstronaut

Had to deactivate my twitter and Facebook so I could actually focus on my own life and stop looking at other people's lives. I still go on facebook to say happy birthday to my family but besides that I'm done with it. It's too much wasted time on that and unlike money we can't get time back.

7. What pops up on your newsfeed is mostly up to you. If you don't like someones post, unsubscribe. That's what I do. If someone posts something stupid, BAM, off you go. They'll never know, and you can avoid those annoying "why did you unfriend me?" and "why are you not on facebook?" questions.
    Also if the posts you see are not to your liking, that maybe says something about your friends as well...and yourself.

8. OurLiP

OurLiP Fapstronaut

I'm trying to do the opposite, and make myself more well known and build connections (You can only make so many in a regular day). It does have some triggering content, but not enough to make a dent in your plans.

9. I quit Facebook and Twitter although I still have Instagram but I'm even considering getting rid of that. They're a waste of time and honestly there's too many triggers there for me. It's too easy for you to be on your timeline and someone "liking" something inappropriate and boom! it shows up for you to see. Actually, I fell earlier because my girl left her facebook logged on my phone and I searched something and I had to reset =/

Maybe in a year I'll make another one but for now, I'm good without it.

10. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear Fapstronaut

I totally agree on this, Facebook is a great business and social tool wich can be very powerful if used properly. However most people get lost in their timeline wich is the least interesting thing about facebook.

Things I believe you should use fb for are:

1. Events, you can organize one or attend one
    2. Maintaining new friends and contacts (very powerful in combination with events)
    3. A platform from which you can contact your friendlist to plan appointments, dates etc.
    4. Personal branding, you can post something of yourself and most FB zombies will see it and you can advertise through your network in that way.
    5. Check out someone's updates, good example would be a long distant family member. Not through the use of your timelime but because you are interested in the specific person. You check out their profile and within 2 minutes you are allready done with facebook for one day.

The timeline is facebook's way of making money, when you open facebook they throw it in your face. Here is where they most advertise (especially app platform) and they make sure the advertisment is in balance with the entertainment in it. That keeps people attached and after a while it becomes a habit and they just watch the same non educational video's over and over again.

I would suggest the following: HAVE FACEBOOK, DON'T USE TIMELINE!

11. ForThePeople

ForThePeople Fapstronaut

I deleted my facebook account because I am impulsive and began adding random women, after i told myself I wouldn't. I'm not at a point in my recovery where i can truly trust myself. For me, facebook leads to fantasizing, about sex or relationships, and brings me out of what's going on that's important in my life right now, which usually is just being a part of my family. If you think it will help you, you might be right. Not saying that you can't do it, don't set unrealistic goals for yourself though, it will only hurt you in the long run. Good luck! :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Haven't been on any social networking site since 3 years. Don't miss it at all.

13. writer239

writer239 Fapstronaut

I didn't really actively quit it so much as got bored of it. While I was in college I was probably the most active with social media due to the fact that I was using it to keep in touch with a lot of different friends and family members while I was away. Towards the end when I got nearer to graduation though, I kind of stopped using it, and when I moved back home after graduation I stopped altogether.

Now I check it maybe once a week just to see if anything interesting has happened with anyone, and for the funny memes and videos friends post, but I don't have any desire to use it more than I already am. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I have a few friends who aren't big on texting and phone calls, I would have gotten rid of it already. Beyond that, I was never really big with Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. I have all of them but I don't really use them.

14. makouda

makouda New Fapstronaut

I start thinking you're really right, I didn't notice this before but now I can see it, thanks a lot

15. goldstein

goldstein Fapstronaut

When i started with NoFap almost a year ago i deleted my facebook and whatsapp accounts. As many other things, you must control them and use every tool available to reduce the risk of trigers. If you can't control it, just delete or disable it. The benefits of this challenge are much more important than the ones facebook or any other social media can provide. For now i have reopened my account and re installed whatsapp as i realized that my triggers weren´t there. Good luck in your journey.

16. akiale13

akiale13 Fapstronaut

I quitted facebook two or three months ago. Believe me it was super hard the first days until the second week. Now I don´t need it anymore. But I think a fake account might be good just to have some useful groups like fitness groups. For me facebook was really addicting and I was spending often many hours a day on facebook. Also true is that since then I didnt have contact to some "friends" which I met on facebook.

17. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

I've completly gotten rid of Facebook and have never looked back. I do believe it has been 10 months since I have even looked at it.

It is filled with triggers abundant. If you feel it is a problem, definitely get rid of it. You don't need it. All those people on their would understand if you just wanted to use your phone from now on.

It's not about what pops up on your news feed or what is shown immediately. It's about what you can find. Desperate women/men looking for attention and triggering content everywhere if you go looking for it. If you get too desperate it will somewhere you could go. I wouldn't take that chance. No one needs Facebook.

18. Mike98

Mike98 Fapstronaut

I stopped using Facebook around 2011 if I recall correctly. It was only a distraction for me and most of my FB "friends" were in reality just kids I rarely talked to. Hell, some of them I didn't even like. Especially the narcissistic girls.

19. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

I never use faceook except when I have to because of the school....I am also ussing messenger to stay in touch with friends. I don't really need it, I don't post my whole life away on facebook, I am not seeking for social acceptance there. It's utterly usesless to me and I am extremely tired of people overly coloring their lives, where once they post how beautiful things are and at the same time they are talking to me about their misery. No, just no.

Mike98 and AdamJibril like this.
  20. NetRang3r

NetRang3r Fapstronaut

I too have quit facebook. it was nothing but the same old shit over and over again, so I said to myself "Im tired of this crap, its rotting my brain." I just wish FB let you actually delete your account instead of just deactivate it.