1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Insomnia, can NoFap cause it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AtomicTango, Mar 9, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I've suffered with insomnia for a while, and I really dont understand what causes it. If I go to bed early when I'm tired I either dont sleep or keep waking up over and over. If I go to bed when its late I'll suddenly come wide awake and lay there for ages until I fall asleep. If this happens more than once over the course of a few days then my brain suddenly decides "Well guess this is the routine now" and forces my body to stick to it.

I've tried everything I can think to try to fix this. I dont drink any liquids or eat anything for a good few hours before I sleep, the most electronic interference I get is watching a bit of late night TV, I try to keep my bedroom the right temperature but this is proving difficult with the time of year it is (its either too warm or too cold, no middle ground a lot of the time), and I even have earplugs but I dont like wearing them often because they irritate or even outright hurt when I use them many nights in a row. I'm starting to think maybe NoFap can have something to do with this, I'm not sure how but maybe the possibility is there. I cant think of what else it could be, but I'm kinda reaching my wits end with it, its become so bad I'm sleep deprived most days and its reached a point where its making me feel unwell and affecting my ability to function normally during waking hours. I tend to feel OK in a morning but will suddenly crash in the afternoon-evening and yesterday it was so bad it made me feel lightheaded and dizzy, to the point I almost felt like I was drunk. I know 100% its not a blood sugar thing (when I started experiencing that I thought it might be right away) because I'm diabetic and my blood sugar control is excellent and they were always fine when I tested. Does anyone have any input or advice for this? Anything would be much appreciated!

2. Insomnia can be a complicated beast, or it can be simple.

You've already done the simple things. Given your daytime symptoms, there is a possibility that you have sleep apnoea, but only a doctor can check for this. So, check with your doctor.

Can changing your PMO addiction change your sleep patterns? Absolutely, because any lifestyle change can do this! One of the things that happens when you stop an addiction is that hidden problems start to surface. Reading your nighttime symptoms, you might have an overactive amygdala. I could be wrong! But, if I'm right, this will explain your wakefulness. (I speak from experience.)

If I'm right, two things can help. The first is therapy, but you need the right sort of therapy to address this. Dealing with past trauma is essential, so therapy is absolutely your best bet.

The second is to have some sort of noise at night that hides other sounds in the house. Examples are white noise (e.g. the sound of a beach) or so-called zero-beat music. You can get the first with several apps, and the second with streaming radio. There are free versions if your budget is extremely tight, but the paid options are reasonably priced and help to support the developers. If you want suggestions, let me know.

Bear in mind that I could easily be wrong about both sleep apnoea and your amygdala. But this at least gives you two further avenues to explore.

Good luck.

3. Arjuna's path

Arjuna's path Fapstronaut

Dude I've been through something alike. Today I woke up like 3 times in the night, had a lot of dreams and woke up tired as f. Im on day 11.

4. FY_33

FY_33 Fapstronaut

i am on day 26 no fapping and can only sleep well in night, while in first week/2nd week its easier

5. Max666

Max666 Fapstronaut

Yes you're right, it does cause insomnia. The main reason I believe is because you have excess energy that needs to release. You notice it especially when you start to think sexual thoughts before bedtime. Your mind is wired to release this energy through masturbation and you're not doing it so the energy builds.

The solution: time. You're brain has to rewire. But there are ways to speed the process along. The main thing is to get sex out of your head, replacing it with constructive thoughts that lead to actually accomplishing things. Work hard, be ambitious, change the perception of yourself. Remind yourself of why sleep is important to you and the reason you're not getting enough. Give it 2 months.

6. SaturnDaytona456

SaturnDaytona456 Fapstronaut

I struggle with this too. Wake up early and go through your day short on sleep- You need one of these mother fuckers https://www.ebay.com/itm/Screaming-...169598?hash=item4b7434e07e:g:OwsAAOSwPdhdOJT~ Set it and put it somewhere across the room or in the hallway by your room. It will wake you up the first morning but the second morning you'll wake up before it goes off so you can prevent it from going off at all. I do this whole routine once in a while, gonna do it tomorrow actually.

7. Laughing! I'd wake up not only the entire household but also my neighbours! I like the idea.

SaturnDaytona456 likes this.
  8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thanks for the information, I'm pretty sure the cause of the issue is not medically induced, I just dont have very good, or at least very consistent sleep hygiene. Last night I took further steps to make my bedroom a better temperature, reduce noise and to go to bed at a better time, and I slept better overall. I'm still tired this morning but its a start.

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

When I go on long streaks I find I have really crazy dreams, not even sexual ones, just weird ones.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice. I've been on long streaks before but never paid much attention to how well I slept during them. I think the issue is partly NoFap related and also partly due to bad sleep hygiene.

11. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

Try taking melatonin or l-theanine(not on an empty stomach) for a few nights to see if it helps. Obviously supplements should not be relied on long term, but they could help you ease into a new sleep cycle. You can also try cutting out TV use or using a blue light blocker, making sure it is as dark as possible in your room, and taking a warm shower before bed.

12. henryhill

henryhill Fapstronaut

I don’t know that I have clinical insomnia but I do know that if I edge at all or have lustful thoughts that I entertain then I sometimes can’t sleep cause the urges are so strong. So for me at least nofap gets rid of the insomnia or trouble sleeping I sometimes experience.

13. Max666

Max666 Fapstronaut

Yes, Melatonin works. I've tried it. You have to get it from your doctor though and it's not advisable for long term use. Also it's a testosterone suppressor.