1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Stocks and Investments

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BuddyLee, Feb 1, 2018.

1. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

1) Ofc you can (ok I'm being sarcastic) by having a better algorithm or knowing all about the algorithm you are dealing with, in other words, if you dont know or have a way to compete with it, for gains, dont do it even 76% of E-toro investors get screwed because they think they can just copy-invest from the top guys and make a profit, when a good chunk of those, know better and are likely to be "traps" that could easily change their investments once you copy their portfolios and then you are stuck paying the tab.

2) Depends, on Bitcoin, Alex Becker's advice for risky bitcoin male investors would work while a woman would fail, thats short time 1-2 month advice that could net you 50% profit from bitcoin transactions (now ofc the opportunity is long since gone)

Absolutely agree with 3) and 4)

2. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

LMAO, how are you sure, blockchain technology wont find a way to compete with them by the next decade? Even as we speak Alibaba's CEO wants desperately to broaden up his company's reach to investors, once that happens it's one more long term competitor for Amazon to watch up. What about Netflix? They now have a dozen other competitors in the market, if something happens they could go down and be replaced they dont hold a monopoly on what they sell to you.

Facebook's also on shaky grounds too, my Gen Z friends often say: "go to Insta bro", Millenials are the gen that vastly supports Facebook, later generations can impose problems and isnt Zuckerberg being now called all the time to courts?

c) Whales rule Bitcoin right now, it's far harder to invest in it, in the conditions we have right now.

A great reset could make Bitcoin a interesting investment, but I'll hold my beer for a little longer, it clearly cant pass the 16k euro ring, with just whales alone, the average joe needs to be interested in investing as well (and they wont invest in overpriced bitcoin), if a Great reset stimulates that, we could see Bitcoin going to the astronomical prices that the entusiasts claim, but not a sec until that happens.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  3. Muphy

Muphy Fapstronaut

For the algorithm,
    I was talking in general sense. How algorithms are improved, obviously somebody does better and that's how one updates and algorithm and come up with new algorithms. So yes one can beat algorithm. But how many do beat the algorithm... Hardly a few ... How many think that they can beat the algorithm... Almost everybody... How many earn profit in share market .. very few.. how many lose money in share market.. a lot.

4. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

Why are you guys saying competing with algorithm, we aren't competing with algorithm, it was made for completing transactions and not for making sure that who ever invests should go in loss, the price of bitcoin is highly determined on the basis of demand and supply, and we know that supply is limited, and demand will keep on increasing until it reaches it saturation point. So, indirectly we are competing against other humans, we are competing against our government and banks, who keeps on changing rules and regulation regarding crypto.
    Just think about it, if algorithm was able to control price, than why would we call it decentralized. And if a computer program goes against humans, 99% chances are there that he will win, take the example of chess, if you don't use another bot to play against computer, there is a high chance that you will loose.
    But in bitcoin most people don't use bot, still make profit. And if algorithm was able to control the price movement, then all those banks would had banned it long before, they don't want any currency to stand against them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  5. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

The owner of the algorithm didnt create it from the kindness of his/her heart, if you are doing transactions under a algorithm there's a catch, maybe less of a catch than old school trading with pesky human mediators but still with a catch nonetheless.

Yeah and in a Whale stressed market you are screwed, this is why bitcoin aint passing 16k euros, too many whales, wall the market for the average joe to invest and get some returns later, they are also highly responsible for high speculation in Bitcoin pricing.

The good thing, is that it's competing with the banksters, but if it doesnt become the norm, it'll keep being a risky investment, when bitcoin entusiasts tell you it's going to valued like gold in a few years-decades time, thats only true if, the average joe loses trust in the government cash system and banksters and transfers the trust into bitcoin, without that trust Bitcoin cant be valued on those terms and trust me we are nowhere near that yet, if old gen doesnt get into Bitcoin, we'll have to wait 1-2 more gens + a good chunk of Gen Zs to get into it, to add trust and value to it, Boomers and old gens wont get into Bitcoin, they like the old system where they are kings over the new one, where they are on vastly inferior standing that before while we rise up

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  6. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

I dont buy stocks i buy socks

7. GhostRider@11

I am not a bitcoin lover, because all those banks and government's are planning to release their own crypto currencies, and once that happens, they might ban bitcoin forever, they can also use the excuse that they can't track the transactions(black market and all), and they are also against bitcoin because they can't tax it, it is highly managed from demand and supply, and those banks can still use this loophole, and especially it doesn't have any real life value. Thus I personally don't recommend anyone to invest huge amount in bitcoin.
    But still I don't agree to the fact that algorithm is biased.
    What type of catch, Don't take me wrong but I personally don't think that could be the case.
    If the algorithm was made in such a way to give profit to a specific person or group of people, government would have directly started taking tax from that one person on his profit. And we wouldn't had took so long to find Satoshi Nakamoto, banks would had directly contacted the person gaining benefit from this system, and even if he wouldn't had been Satoshi Nakamoto, he would had been his friend or some relative, but we never found that because no one was actually gaining illegal profit from this system, and Instead the algorithm was designed in such a way to keep increasing price of bitcoin by continuously reducing supply. Even the payment that miners get is not taken from transaction that they had performed but new bitcoin's are generated for them.

Sqezzer345 likes this.
  8. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

How's that going now? It's now at 15,1k euros, it's dropping, this is the thing about bitcoin it's a risk investment, case you have to get the average joe on board and the average joe is skeptic due to things like MS Media bashing on crypto and scandals like bitcoin, it's not ready to go beyond 20k.

If we have to wait til Gen Z gets older and gets in to it, we may get a lucky raise to 25-30k maybe 50k+ if things go smoothly.

But if we have to wait for the next gen to get into bitcoin, we'll be waiting decades for a return in the investment, I dont like it, waiting for too long in a investment raises the chance of a disruptor/competitor coming up and stealing the tab from under bitcoin, it may not look like it now, but if Governments all over the world suddently decided to create a unique crypto currency backed by gold, Bitcoin would die.

Ofc they'll never do it, so Bitcoin can keep taking advantage of the inflation and can it's investors, so it's more like asset protection from inflation than a actual investment with profit returns right now.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    exsoldier likes this.
  9. Wouldn't doubt any of that, but I still have some invested in Bitcoin, and a few other cryptos.

Any other good stocks you guys like? Tesla, other electric cars, and battery companies have been taking off for me. I also like all the real estate stocks that took a major hit from COVID. Hoping they come roaring back.

10. Is GME returning to the moon? Seems like WSB has successfully gamed the system.

Sqezzer345 likes this.
  11. GhostRider@11

Earlier when I wrote this post, I had never studied bitcoin properly, especially never from technology point of view. Now, I completely believe Satoshi Nakamoto did a great contribution to humanity by creating bitcoin. A currency which was not controlled by any bank or any government, A currency which was completely decentralised, A currency which cannot be endlessly printed, A currency which cannot be restricted by any borders or bans. It takes power back from banks and government and empowers humanity and normal citizen.
    And believe it or not, bitcoin is here to stay. Earlier I did enter this crypto space with the motive of making money, many people enter this market with the same idea, but anybody who stays here for more then one cycle will understand - bitcoin is not a gamble, it was never created to make money, it was created with the sole purpose of giving people freedom. It's not a currency but property. In a world where inflation is constantly eating fiat currency, and people have almost no alternative for fiat, bitcoin is the safe heaven.
    And it was just the beginning, ethereum built the entire operating system for blockchain technology to flourish, and now we are heading in towards the future where these dapps, DAO's, and many other smart contract platform are forming web3.0

12. Eritede

Eritede Fapstronaut

I have some savings but I lack experience in investing, I think it would be wise to seek a financial consultation. Professionals can provide more details about my financial situation and find the best options. By the way, any kikoff credit builder reviews? I plan to explore mutual funds or index funds, as it's a prudent strategy for beginners. I understand that it's essential to understand the risks and potential returns associated with different investment options. Hope I will succeed in this sphere.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  13. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

I would advise; buy a worldwide ETF and invest monthly a steady amount of money. Hold it for at least 5 years, however 10 years or longer is even better. Buy & hold is a good strategy.

Do not buy crypto?