1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT TO DO

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

If we often choose the wrong alternate activities, we will fall. The weakest level of alternate activities are level 5 activities. Things like risky TV or movies, hanging with friends who lead you down the wrong path, gambling, or drinking.

While these things are usually better than P, you will have a much higher chance to quit your habit if you choose level 1 and level 2 activities. Level 1 activities include Bible study, prayer, reading Christian books, reading quitting addiction books, helping out at church, and telling a friend how Jesus is helping you. Also, try joining a church Bible study, sometimes they are great. These activities not only distract and help you through today, but they also strengthen you for tomorrow and all month.

Level 2 activities are things like exercising plus prayer, exercising outside of your home, team sports, group activities, hanging with friends who tend to help you instead of leading you down the wrong path.

Level 3 activities are learning a musical instrument, sports or non-computer games at home, hobbies at home.

This article is not meant to be a complete list of alternative activities. The point is, if you focus on level 1 and 2 activities, they help your future. The more you focus on higher-level activities, the better your chances are for freedom. Always push to improve your activity by a level or two. It is a secret to success.

Lastly, treat your activities list as your work. You are working towards having a future of freedom and joy. The pay is 10 times the pay you will get at any other job. The rewards are huge. Believe, work, succeed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    L.liveth likes this.
  2. Now I am curious about the mysterious activities that reside on level 4! :)

3. feuerdrache

feuerdrache Fapstronaut

If non-computer games are level 3, then computer games must be level 4. I certainly hope they're not level 5, since I'm a gamer, and games can definitely help occupy my time. Not the most constructive thing to do, I'll admit, but I don't think they're on the same level as risky TV/movies, hanging out with the wrong crowd, gambling, or drinking. I'll also admit video games can have over-sexualized female characters or sexual themes and that can be a problem.

4. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Computer games are level 4 mainly because they are in the same place as where high-risk things are. If you don't go from games back to addiction, then game on. In moderation, they can be good for some.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    feuerdrache likes this.
  5. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Level 4 activities are perfectly moral things that have a weakness. Level 4 might be clean TV or sitting in the backyard, or getting a snack. Things that are weaker than level 3 because they allow you time to think or be tempted.

Tao Jones likes this.
  6. feuerdrache

feuerdrache Fapstronaut

Yes, definitely in moderation. I know what I'm addicted to, and video games aren't on that list. Not saying it's a bit list...bit they're big items. P & S(ugar).

value and timcia like this.
  7. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

In a well-intentioned gesture, my wife gave me a VR hood for a recent birthday. I did not ask for it, it was a complete surprise and frankly I really wish she had not done so. I have avoided video games for many years because I recognized how easily I can be fixated by them. I did not want to hurt her feelings so I have kept the VR hood and I have used it, primarily to play a golf game that I enjoy. No one can deny, this is incredible technology but after using it, I always feel guilty. To me, it is so immersive that it feels like a selfish and unproductive use of my time.

I can see that modern video games afford a chance for people to connect with one another and if that is your only means to be with others, then there is some benefit. I suppose also that all work and no play does make Johnny a dull boy although there is also an antithesis to that maxim. Still, I am left asking, what is the product from the time we spend on video games? What else might I have done with that time which I will not get back?

Although there is no guarantee, I expect I will spend about 90 years on this earth. When I meet the Lord, will He not ask me how wisely I used the time He gave me? My head is spinning, I must now get to work...

8. Christ calls us to rest in him. I think that R&R is a big part of the disciple's life and one that can be neglected, esp. by those with more "active" personalities. If we are working hard six days each week and several hours each day, then it seems to me that turning to healthy hobbies for some restoration and recuperation is a very good idea. What those hobbies might be will run a very wide gamut and can easily include video games, I would think.

value and CPilot like this.
  9. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We think that Paul from the Bible was some superman. And I suppose he was. But, why? I think he looked at a passage like the one from James which says: “Faith without works is dead.” Then he always focused on the word “dead”... and he decided he wanted to be alive.

If you are only partially alive, it is hard to fight addiction. If we choose to make a commitment to good works, we are choosing to live. Paul believed this verse from A to Z. Then he constantly choose activities which allowed him to live at all times.

Level one activities take us from death to life. They allow the Holy Spirit to fill us to prepare us for good works.

Paul was not born a superman. But he disciplined himself to be aware at all times that he wanted to be alive. He prayed about purpose, as if God had something great for him to do. He studied the Bible, as if it might be a key for someone to be saved. He praised God and gave thanks at all times, because he served a great and mighty God.

There is a great book called The Prayer of Jabez. The key prayer in the book is: “I pray that You would expand my borders and bless me indeed.”

Most of us are caught up in distractions and habits. But, as we are fighting with all our might, we can pray this prayer a few times each day.

Lastly, if we pick our activities the way Paul picked his... we will have a spectacular decade.

10. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Many people decide that they will now do good activities, but then reality happens. We just get busy, or we just forget.

Try connecting the articles you need to review, and the scriptures you need to review for overcoming lust, with an activity you do every day. For example, you have decided to make turning from lust a habit. The only problem is, you only remembered that goal 3 times in the last 6 days.

Find something you do daily. I drink coffee. In this example, I would study a printout of the Turn From Lust article every time I drink coffee.

Second, every time you turn on the TV pick up your printout of the Verses for Quitting. Read a few of them before you watch anything. A great added benefit is that now your printout is right on your lap if you start to get overwhelmed.

Third, we all brush our teeth. Start your habit of praising the Lord every time you brush.

Forth, we all have some emotions we struggle we. Your struggle may be with anger, anxiety, or anything else. We should all be consistently looking up Bible verses on Google on the topic we struggle with.

To connect, write your 3 fav Bible verses about that emotion on a 3 by 5 card and carry it with you. Every time that emotion pops up, read some verses. Keep in mind that this helps with a lust addiction because scripture in - starts to get lust out.

You can use 3 by 5 cards with verses about lust in the same way.

Last, take 10 minutes to think about the habit you want to form, and what activity you can connect your new habit with until it becomes a habit.

A few simple notes are all it takes to get this “connect” system started.

11. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
    33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

This passage is so far out of the realm of today's church that merely mentioning it may cause the internet to shut down. This passage is about what Christians do. Since the church (in America) rarely talks about this, today I will print it out.

Why does the church not tell Christians what the Bible says they are supposed to do? Because, if they talk about these verses, then they might have to mention the bad things that happen to people who don't do these things. Note: I am afraid to mention them as well. You will have to look up Matthew 25 verses 41-44 yourself if you want to avoid that trouble.

Second, my joy has increased a lot since I went to war with sin, and started helping others. I believed God, and He was right. Now my goal is to study this passage, believe God again, and see if doing these things produces even more joy and satisfaction. Note: These are grade-A quitting activities... they allow the Holy Spirit to flow right through us.

12. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Blessed are the broken. We want to quit, but we want to do it “our” way. Our way = no blessing.

God created us and He wrote specific things to us about lust and other sins. Satan wants us to keep trying to quit “our way” at all costs. Um... that's a lot of costs.

Many read my articles to get the “practical” tips. They only want the practical tips because if we study the scriptures about lust we are relinquishing control.

Mike Breaux said, “The greatness of a man or woman is directly proportionate to the measure of their surrender.”

Surrender is a key to quitting.

I say, “Your success in quitting depends on “New habits” you form based on what God said about lust.”

Today, consider starting a “Top 10 habits I need to learn to quit.”

Habit #1 Look at your list 2-3 times per day. At what time will you look at it?

#2 Don't worry if your list is short, you can add to it as you go along.

#3 Scan old articles to add to your list.

#4 Now you have something to always think about (Instead of always thinking about lust).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Tao Jones and CPilot like this.