1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient Egyptians considered Music as a type of magic. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Resilience personified, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Pitbull

Pitbull Fapstronaut

I agree that music is like magic
    Do you know what magic is?
    It’s smoke and mirrors
    Deception, illusion
    So music is deception
    It raises fake emotion when there is no need for it
    So I’d say cut out all illusion and stay real
    So bin the music shit

Fallen Demon likes this.
  2. @Fallen Demon you should check out the "Good Fight Ministries" channel on YouTube. They do a lot of analysis on different musicians. Years ago, they did a documentary called "they sold their souls to Rock and Roll" that you might be interested in.

I haven't actually watched any of their videos myself, but my husband listens to them often and tells me about them.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  3. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Music can also get people to do things, which on the surface (and to ancient Egyptians) appears to be magic.

For example, music can bring you closer to God, or encourage & motivate you.

On the other hand, it can be used for torture too. Just look at this Guantanamo playlist: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/02/torture-playlist/

4. What type of music should be avoided?

5. Remember that every dream is sort of an illusion. Every ambition is not real, but the fact that we see, it makes us work towards it. Music inculcates fake emotions? Well, those emotions are real, it might inculcate fake confidence but that fake confidence is useful on our path to become the person we aspire to.

6. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Thanks for that. I watched his video on Kate Bush which was interesting. There is also the podcast Switched on Pop which is made by a musicologist and a songwriter where they analyse songs. I thought their episodes on Hallelujah and ...Baby One More Time were really good because they made me notice things about the songs that I had missed.

Another good music podcast is Song Exploder. They interview artists about how they came up with a song and record it. It makes you realise how much work goes into making a song and I think we tend to not appreciate how much hard work goes into it.

Meshuga likes this.
  7. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

The sort of music you don't like...

Honestly, I find the idea of demons involved in music to not be true. I grew up as a fundamentalist Christian and was banned from listening to all music except classical and Christian music (even some Christian music was considered evil) but now I look back and think it was rather silly. I mean most artists aren't atheists and those who are, aren't militant atheists. They play around with religious and spiritual themes in their music to make good art. What you have with music is a variety of ideas about issues. I may not agree with some of these ideas but the world doesn't revolve around me and people are free to present ideas I don't agree with. It's good for me to hear ideas I don't agree with because it gets me out of an echo chamber and understand people better.

8. Well that's not what I was talking about here at all. I was talking about musicians who have literally made statements about worshipping satan and their musical ability or their fame and success in the music industry coming from him.

You can believe it or not, but it's definitely a true reality, regardless of what any of us believe.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  9. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

Wait a second...what exactly is "definitely a true reality" now? That some musician say they worship satan or that there is demonic stuff going on in music?

10. Whether you believe it or not, it is true that there is demonic stuff involved in a lot of the music industry. You can laugh at me all you want and say I'm stupid. I don't really care. It's true. You not believing in it doesn't make it not real.

11. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

And you believing in it doesn't make it real. Maybe a little less certainty and claim of "the truth" when making broad claims, which are solely based on your religious believes, would be a good idea.

12. Yes. One only has to listen to Sigur Ros or the Cocteau Twins to be convinced. Lol. But more seriously music touches something deep and emotional and primal within us that it's hard to evoke in any other way. And that's why I think a lot of cultures have treated music like magic. Because it allows us to access parts of ourselves we usually don't have access to. It's liminal in that respect.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  13. On point