How to get bigger shoulders

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by A Conqueror, Jun 24, 2022.

1. A Conqueror

A Conqueror Fapstronaut

One of my favorite muscles, among forearms and calves are the deltoid because it looks impressive when well developed.
    I train mostly calisthenics, I'm working to achieve handstand pushups someday, but I'm taking it easy to avoid injuries and to build the joints, so for now I just do handstands isometrics with head as a support and arms at 90 degrees, also I've saw that bear walking is great for shoulders plus could serve as warmup and cardio.
    My question is, how did you build your shoulders, what do you recommend do get them bigger, especially the lateral or medial deltoid, to get that width increase

2. Still Balling

Still Balling Fapstronaut

Work consistently. Shoulders are not very big muscles. Being fit will give you the look( low bf %). Getting your whole upper body big will give you appearance of size in the shoulders too!

red_fruit likes this.
  3. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

I joined the Army. I enlisted at 6'1, 120lbs. That's 186cm, 54.4kg. After BCT and AIT, doing a ton of military grade pushups (down to upper arms parallel with floor, you can know because your chest is barely off the ground, to fully extended arms, elbows locked), I was 140lbs (63.5kg). With continued service, that is regular PT along with simple work as a mechanic, I soon topped out at about 160lbs (72.6kg). Of course that's full body, but a significant portion of that mass was in chest and shoulders.

For bigger, do the pushups with a ruck or a backpack stuffed with textbooks. For focus on shoulders, do them wide arm style.

But it sounds like you're way more systematic and focused than I ever was.

4. laser_focus

laser_focus Fapstronaut

My advice is to specialize in the standing military press. both single arm and double arm.
    If you don't have weights, then learn to do handstand pushups. Do them against a wall, because unless you plan on being a gymnast you don't need to worry about the balance aspect.
    Don't even bother with lateral raises or any of that high rep isolation bullshit. It's all nonsense. Just put heavy weight overhead, and do it often.

A Conqueror likes this.
  5. Undercover GeisT

Undercover GeisT New Fapstronaut

If u can i would recommend getting a pair of dumbbels (preferably ones with adjustable weights so u can start low and progress the weight as u get stronger) and doing shoulder presses, lateral raises and shrugs (maybe something like 3 sets of 8-12 reps each 2 or 3 times a week)

6. Zephon

Zephon Fapstronaut

you can also do pike-pushups which goes more into the shoulders.
    Take some dumbbells to do shoulder press, lateral raises, db upright rows, db overhead press, but take less weights because the shoulders don't have that many muscles like arms or legs. So be careful with that exercises!

7. InappropriateUsername

InappropriateUsername Fapstronaut

Train carefully, use good exercises and rest.
    Pike push-ups, decline push-ups, handstand push-ups, inverted rows, pull-ups will all help build shoulders.

8. Shoulder press, farmers carry