1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to go to college but I don't know what I want to do

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lazarus Shuttlesworth, Nov 4, 2015.

1. im 20 years old. I should've graduated high school a couple of years ago but due to personal reasons I'm graduating after this semester. I'm interested into becoming a social worker but apparently there aren't a lot of jobs in that field according to my guidance counsellor. I don't know what to do :/

2. What colour is your parachute?

Lol, that is actually the name of a book.

Read it.

3. Just downloaded the sample of it on my iPad. Thanks, I'll definitely give it a read

4. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Many people give a lot of bad advice with good intention! If you're passionate about helping people, social work is a fine field and you will be successful. Don't be so influenced by one or two counselors. Seek out several other people that you trust. The book that was recommended is a good start. I wish you abundant success.

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  5. That's an idea :)

Just don't become a psychiatrist! Lol, to each their own..

zero01 likes this.
  6. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

The most important thing is to not be anxious or fearful about your future, and especially to not look back and wonder "what if". No regrets, no fear, no care in the world is the way I intend to spend the rest of my life.

That being said I'm pretty sure social work has loads of jobs right? I have not looked at growth projections but and job where interaction from one human being to another, especially with a mentor or guide element involved pretty much is doing well these days.

The first two years are pretty applicable to any career, I mean you can go from a B.S. or A.S. degree into any other domain to my knowledge, hell you might even find a passion while your in

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  7. kevinkevin19

kevinkevin19 Fapstronaut

College is a great investment. It's not all about the diploma, you will meet many people who will become your friends and connections, you will also learn many things inside and outside of the classroom. If you don't know what to do I suggest you introspect deeply into yourself and find out what you REALLY want to do. Find out what you're good at and what makes you happy. Also, find out what you're really interested in and passionate about. Write a list of goals that you want to achieve. These might give you clues on what you truly want to do with your life.

That being said, there are lots of jobs in the social work area. Don't transfer to another job just because it pays better, but if you really want a certain career then the money is not as important and it will come later. What matters is that your career makes you happy and fulfilled.

8. Thanks guys I really do appreciate it

9. What's sad is that I go to a "hands on" kind of school where it's a tech school. Great for people who want to become an engineer, plumber, carpenter, hvac etc but I now realized that I'm not intrested into getting a trades job. I didn't take advantage of any of those classes. Smh I need to stop overthinking!! It's all good. I graduate in 3 months too and the best graduation gift I could ever get would be knowing I've gone past 3 months with no PMO and I'm no longer addicted to P. God help me

Kiddy likes this.
  10. Kiddy

Kiddy Fapstronaut

I feel you. I am having job troubles and for a while I was thinking what I want to do with my life. One apparently successful aquaintence recommended making a life plan with near future, mid future and distant future goals.