Seeking Advice on Dealing with Panic Attacks

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by ricardohector, Apr 7, 2024.

1. ricardohector

ricardohector Fapstronaut

Hey everyone,

I've been experiencing panic attacks lately and could use some advice. It's been overwhelming,

also, I'm struggling to cope with the sudden onset of intense fear and physical symptoms. Does anyone have any tips or strategies for managing panic attacks when they occur?

I've tried deep breathing and grounding techniques, but sometimes it feels like nothing helps.

How do you personally deal with panic attacks? Any insights or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

2. ricardohector

thanks in advance for any help

3. Itsuki

Itsuki Temporarily Suspended

I don’t have panic attacks often but I have had several in my lifetime.

It’s either one of two scenarios. The first is where all surfaces and textures become unbearable to me. Even a soft pillow feels like it is prickling my skin and I can’t support it (it isn’t painful but an extreme discomfort). I walk around to try to find something to rest on but even the carpet is unbearable to feel on my feet. I try to find my balance by leaning on a wall but the textured paint pierces my fingertips, etc. The second is where I conceive that the entire worlds existence relies on me adding two numbers together, but no matter how many times I try, the numbers never add up correctly. 2 plus 3 does not equal 7, oh no! 101 plus 82 does not equal 3, oh no!

As far as overcoming panic attacks, the best method is prevention. One panic attack happened to me the first time I got Covid. My body hurt so badly that I literally thought I was going to die. The next day when the fever broke I had a panic attack, obviously as an emotional response to a “near death” experience. You can’t avoid getting sick, but you can avoid other things that cause you extreme guilt, worry, uncertainty. Are you telling a big lie that is costly to maintain? Did you hurt someone and not apologize? Things like that.

My last line of defense with panic attacks, as stupid as this sounds, is learning to enjoy them. They are kind of entertaining. Your mind bypasses reason in a manner that is only comprehensible during a panic attack; it is a unique state of mind. It’s almost like when you get really dizzy after standing up quickly, you can stand there and fret about falling over or tripping and killing yourself, or you could sway around and enjoy the fleeting moment when your vision turns grey and buzzy and your head feels light.

4. Pauley

Pauley Fapstronaut

I only had one in my life so far and it felt horrible. I think you should try to find out what is the reason for them. Do you have unhealthy habits like drugs? Are you eating healthily? Are you working out? When did they start the first time? Can you find a pattern on what happened before each of your panic attacks?
    If you are able to find the cause, you can fight it. Despite this, I'd recommend to ask your doctor about them, if they are a regular thing.

5. ricardohector

thank you so much for your suggestion

6. Itsuki

Itsuki Temporarily Suspended

Lmao, your sarcasm is detected.