1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite film of the year?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by StepsReborn, Aug 27, 2016.

1. So I love movies, and I like to see them at the theater and such. I was just curious what new movies people have enjoyed this year?

For me it's hard to choose favorites. As far as comedies, I really enjoyed Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping, and Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. I also loved the new Star Trek. I'm kind of blanking on any other particularly noteworthy films right now, but anywhoozle, anyone else have any?

2. Finding Dory was another. And I had to double check that this one was this year, but apparently it was: 10 Cloverfield Lane. Freaking fantastic.

3. IGY

IGY Guest

I am dreading seeing this actually. But what did you love about it?

4. IGY

IGY Guest

I don't think I will be watching that one! :rolleyes:

5. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Good streak going there IGY :) Any tips?

6. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

I liked Everest.

SMK likes this.
  7. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

What about Eddie the Eagle? :)

Dr.NoFap and DannyCool like this.
  8. IGY

IGY Guest

Thanks Danny. Well, when you get a few months under your belt, there is a new mind set which means that it isn't too difficult to remain clean. But in terms of basic advice, I would advocate the following for anybody - I hope it helps... :)
    • Do not touch your dick unless you are peeing or washing it
    • Act immediately to remove any sexual thoughts or triggers
    • Adhere strictly to these two crucial boundaries:- no excuses

DannyCool likes this.
  9. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Thank you

10. I've been slacking with the movies tbh. I haven't seen anything this year that I really like. I still need to watch finding dory and suicide squad (heard it's horrible tho)
    But when it comes to TV series.. that's a different story. I really like "strange things" & "the night of".

11. TacoKing

TacoKing Fapstronaut

10 Cloverfield Lane was amazing. The ending wasn't as good as the rest, but it still was great. Incredibly original.

StepsReborn likes this.
  12. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

The only 2016 movie I watched is Finding Dory, so that one, I suppose [​IMG]
    I did like it a whole lot, though. [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if I told you before, but I went to see it in theatre with three friends, and I had an amazing time. The movie was amazing, but some of the moments I had with the certain person sitting next to me were even more amazing. [​IMG]

13. Hm... I'm not sure if I can put it into a few words, but I just really enjoyed it. It had a lot of humor, some interesting new characters along with the same awesome old characters. A lot of Scotty, who I love.

Not gonna lie, I only watched about 2 minutes of that video. Most of the complaints are extremely nit picky, and personally I'm not that kind of movie-goer. I like to enjoy films, not pick them apart to death. I thought it was a fantastic movie. I also really enjoyed the fact that there isn't much dialog in the beginning. It made everything feel more real, and it's a style that isn't used often in films. It was a really unique movie, and I know some people had issues with parts of it, but I disagree honestly. I enjoyed all of it.

I didn't see Everest. :/ and I have no idea what Eddie the Eagle is. Perhaps it didn't come out here. I'll have to check it out!

Stranger Things is so fantastic! I almost put that on my list anyway, even though it's not a movie, cuz it's just that good. Lol
    Also, yeah, in my opiniom, Suicide Squad was a pretty terribly made film. I didn't even have very high expectations and I was still like wow... this is horrible. But it was "fun," if that helps. Lol I'm still glad I saw it. I liked the characters, but I wish the movie itself would have done them more justice. Maybe with some pre-suicide-squad solo background films. That would have been nice.

Aw, sounds lovely ^_^ I loved Finding Dory. I honestly didn't know if it would be kind of silly and feel like a sequel just for the sake of making a sequel, but it didn't at all. I think it was pretty much just as good as Finding Nemo.

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  14. I agree, the ending was a little strange. At the same time, though, I kind of liked it. I love the fact that the whole movie makes you think you're so clever because you've figured everything out and then you're like "oh dang, I was wrong. Okay, but NOW I know what's going on." And then a few minutes later you're like "oh dang, I was wrong again." Lol not very many movies succeed at that without making you suspicious.

15. Update: watched the whole video. Literally 90% is nit picking crap that is completely pointless. And the other 10% can be easily countered. Also, this reviewer apparently thinks that if anyone does something in one movie that he happens to have seen in another, they're ripping them off. What's he gonna say next? "Oh, Howard kidnapped her. This is totally just a rip off of Taken!" Ridiculous.

Main complaint I have with the non-nit-picky concerns is that he doesn't seem to understand that Howard is crazy. As someone who studied psychology, I really enjoyed certain scenes that show how messed up in the mind he is.

For example, not being able to think of the word "woman" to describe Michelle. That makes perfect sense, given the state of his mind.

Another example, Howard buying Emmett's manipulation about needing to clean the shower and throw away the shower curtain. He's been building a freakin inexplicable bunker for years and is obviously crazy overprotective and paranoid, so a distraction like this would definitely go to his head and make him concerned, whether he was suspicious of their plan or not.

That's all I'm gonna say, because that video was seriously just ridiculous and not even really worth arguing about.

Dizzy Lotus likes this.
  16. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

17. Anotherguy

Anotherguy Fapstronaut

I don't see a lot of movies, but one movie that I thought was pretty good was The Big Short. It had fantastic acting and an extremely interesting storyline. Also, even though I wasn't expecting to like it, I really enjoyed Zootopia.

18. Oh boy I loved Zootopia! Such a great movie with a good message. My husband saw The Big Short without me, at work, so I never ended up seeing that one. Maybe I'll catch it on DVD.

19. Oh yeah, I remember this now. I'm not sure if it came to our theater. I'm not much of a sports movie person, but this one did look pretty interesting. That guy was pretty good in Kingsman.

SMK likes this.
  20. Anotherguy

Anotherguy Fapstronaut

You definitely should! It's one of those movies that doesn't really need to be seen in theaters, since it doesn't have spectacular visuals/sounds, just a great story.

StepsReborn likes this.