Sleep thread

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by TonyIndolent, Dec 20, 2016.

1. TonyIndolent

TonyIndolent Fapstronaut

I really do struggle some nights trying to switch off. Could we share our weird and wonderful strategies to help us fall asleep.
    Doesn't matter how obvious or stupid they sound. If something's worth saying it's worth saying again.

Cheers!
    T

Elemental Silver likes this.
  2. drabhitrip

drabhitrip Fapstronaut

Hi,
    I just completed my first day. I happened to have very strong urge during the night and in the morning today. I focused my mind on my lovely gf, we're currently in LDR. I took off my pants and tried to sleep. Even though my mind wasn't completely off M, I did manage to control it.

I don't know why, but sleeping without trousers did help me. I feel that it might be my personal experience. But you're welcome to try it.

Best of Luck! A lot of Good Wishes! :)

3. Flossy Carter

Flossy Carter Fapstronaut

Think about some crazy stuff while you're laying down
    It helps me to sleep

4. Fatsodubmo

Fatsodubmo Fapstronaut

Your brain not being able to "turn off" is often due to overproduction of cortisol which can often be caused by low blood sugar. Try eating a handful of grapes or a small/medium apple or even a whole wheat english muffin when your brain gets hamster wheeled.

Also get regular exercise, practice yoga and meditation daily.

Take care of your gut. Avoid processed foods as much as possible. Get in probiotics and prebiotics. Many scientists/doctors are now treating our gut and brain as one symbiotic unit called the gut-brain axis. If one is upset it affects the other. An unhappy gut leads to an unhappy brain interfering with sleep.

TonyIndolent likes this.
  5. District19

District19 Fapstronaut

I also love to sleep naked, but afraid of getting caught the next morning haha

drabhitrip likes this.
  6. Pursuit__Of__Happiness

Pursuit__Of__Happiness Fapstronaut

"Early to bed, early to rise makes a man/woman healthy, wealthy and wise", heard this quote?
    It's absolutely true. Our daily habits make us successful and sleep is one of those. There are few strategies that will surely help you to have a great night's sleep if you religiously follow.
    • Set a fixed timetable to go to bed and rise from bed. Always follow that schedule without fail. Our brains become accustomed to things faster if done daily.
    • Eat your dinner few hours before you go to sleep, ideally around 8 o'clock.
    • Don't take any spicy or heavy meal at dinner. Take a light meal. Don't consume too much liquid either just before you go to bed.
    • Avoid caffeine. It hinders quality sleep.
    • Don't work on your computer, laptop or smartphone before you go to sleep. Avoid browsing the internet too. Blue light emitted by screens (TV, computer, phone etc.) suppresses melatonin levels making it more difficult to fall asleep.
    • Don't watch T.V. or read newspapers too before you go to bed.
    • You can read some fiction novel or any of your favourite book if you want, but it shouldn't be exciting.
    • The goal is to avoid any activity that may disturb 'melatonin' sleep hormone's normal action.
    • Another thing is to plan your next day in advance so that you can avoid unnecessary stress and confusion which occurs because of being disorganised.
    • Also, exercise, eat healthy, be fit. If you have worked hard throughout the day purposefully towards the goal, the mind rests well knowing that it has done its job.
    • Be happy and at peace. They too help.

There may be some other tips also, which I might have forgotten to mention. But, if you do these things, I am sure they will surely help you in achieving a good night's sleep. Sweet dreams.

7. IGY

IGY Guest

Why would you wear trousers to bed? You live in India dude. Why wear anything? Sleeping naked is natural and nice. :)

8. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Try exercising before bed, whether it be a jog,gym, or even pushups and situps at home, something that would get your body tired. Also watch what you eat before bed, no sugary stuff. warm milk is an old trick in the book as well .

TonyIndolent likes this.
  9. Flossy Carter

Exercising before bed is a big no no
    It raises your blood pressure and heart beat rate and it will keep you up
    Reading a book an hour before bed and removing all electronic devices from the bedroom would be a good place to start

I Free I likes this.
  10. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Your right , but it works for me . And of course I meant after exercise, eat,shower,relax about 30 minutes, than bed. I didn't mean jump into bed immediately lol but i got you ! :)

11. Flossy Carter

Ah ok
    I thought you meant exercise then directly go to sleep
    But your advice is good though

I Free I likes this.
  12. AliWantsOut

AliWantsOut Fapstronaut

Hit your head on a wall really hard
    Works every time!

13. Jaqen_H'ghar

Jaqen_H'ghar Fapstronaut