1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Comments on Profile Post by aspiringwriter1997

1. letter
    letter
    Seldom do I use other's works as inspiration. Naturally, I may be somewhat influenced by what I see and hear, but I do my best to find my own inspiration. Most of my words come from dreams, prayer, contemplation, the ongoing circumstances of my life, interactions with friends & other similar original sources.

I always figured it was better to dig my own well than to dip in someone else's
    Mar 14, 2019
  2. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    I'm often inspired by others, mainly as stepping stones to help me find my own influences and words. I often write based on conversations I hear, things I see, or thoughts I dream of, but sometimes, reading a story, hearing a song, seeing a painting also sparks my mind and allows the words to come out freely into my pen and onto the paper.
    Mar 14, 2019
  3. WonderingKid21
    WonderingKid21
    yup, it happens sometimes, and they can be very profound :) like signs from God especially when I am reading his book or I asked him for an answer to some question and waited for any sign (a leaf falling and kid's smile at me) .. the process itself is wonderful feeling connected to God, Nature and people differently.
    Mar 14, 2019
  4. WonderingKid21
    WonderingKid21
    but I learned to be careful cuz sometimes they can harmful if not filtered .. rondom quotes are not necessarily wisdom
    Mar 14, 2019
  5. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    I agree since some wisdom is harmful toward our souls, but most of it generally benefits the soul. ^^
    Mar 14, 2019
  6. WonderingKid21
    WonderingKid21
    yup ^^ but how wisdom is harmful toward our souls?
    Mar 14, 2019
  7. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    It could be if it teaches a false doctrine or something that goes against what we believe in.
    Mar 14, 2019
  8. letter
    letter
    There’s all kinds of wisdom, depending on how you define it. Loosely put, if wisdom is the way we interpret events and condition our responses to navigate then there are a plethora of ‘wisdoms’

For instance, I so wish I never learned the wisdom of easing my soul’s suffering with PMO.
    Mar 15, 2019
  9. letter
    letter
    But if you define wisdom as the knowing of the one truest and best response, providing stunning answers to the trickiest problems before us, than such wisdom is bliss.
    Mar 15, 2019
  10. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    And that's why you're known as letter since your words just left me all ^^. Wisdom, to me, is knowing the best answers, the purest knowledge, and having the greatest life experience that you can pass onto others. I find that wisdom comes best from theology and philosophy since so many people I know only focus on the theology aspect, but without the philosophical aspects, it is not wisdom at all.
    Mar 15, 2019
  11. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    Wisdom is a virtue that must be guarded against wrongdoings since people take virtues and twist them around. We must protect virtues as though they are the scared women who are guiding us toward our own paradise, not our own inferno.
    Mar 15, 2019
  12. letter
    letter
    Theology and philosophy...interesting.

I know these things by the cross. The vertical beam represents our relationship with heaven, the horizontal beam our relationship with humanity.

One can not properly practice the faith without these two aspects put in proper order.
    Mar 16, 2019
  13. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    Everything you just said above I agree with ^^ I find that the need of wisdom coming from theology and philosophy together extends from the likes of Augustine and Aquinas, who were both theologians and philosophers. If we don't have a relationship with divine wisdom and moral wisdom, we can't concept our beliefs since one aspect of wisdom can't work or function without the other.
    Mar 16, 2019
  14. letter
    letter
    Aye, this is such a fundamental thing. As James wrote, “faith without works is dead.”

We must put our beliefs into action, otherwise they may well just be fantasies.
    Mar 16, 2019
  15. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    "We must put our beliefs into other, otherwise they may well just be fantasies."

That sentence just essentially captured the spirit and main point of our conversation. I love it when people are able to get everything we talked about down to just one sentence. ^^
    Mar 16, 2019
    Sammyforthewin and letter like this.
  16. letter
    letter
    Aye, it is something I am working on. While I love to draw out words and ideas, I need to be able to be concise and distill elaborate concepts into a few words.

Most of the writing I’m looking at for freelancing is limited to about 750 words, give or take, so being able to get my points across clearly and effectively in as few words as possible without being oversimplied...

Ehh! It’s a challenge!
    Mar 16, 2019
  17. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    That's something I have difficulty in since sometimes, I could write a whole page or so on just the fragrance, appearance, and meaning of a specific flower. I love writing words, but sometimes, I do need to cut my words down to a set few- but this is easier said than done. xP
    Mar 16, 2019
  18. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    What do freelance writers often do? What do they write? And how much do they get paid? It's hard to be oversimplified and it's hard to be over-detailed so sometimes, we lose either way.
    Mar 16, 2019
  19. letter
    letter
    Indeed, the art of writing is tricky business. What we experience in a moment with our senses can take hours to properly describe even just a little bit of.
    Mar 16, 2019
  20. letter
    letter
    It is that which you helped remind me of and inspire me towards anew, that is, the art beyond writing which writers aim their words towards...the ability to encapsulate inexpressible things in vehicles of text and transmit that profound information most sublimely on to the reader.
    Mar 16, 2019
  21. letter
    letter
    It is like a feat of miracles, like explaining colours to the blind; the art of writing beyond words to communicate substance that is so often trapped within us, or unleash the substance trapped in others.
    Mar 16, 2019
  22. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    It is tricky. Sometimes, I find myself wondering if I do justice with what I write and describe based on the experiences and moments my senses go through, but I know that even with the tricks, it's a part of me that I wouldn't give up to save my life.
    Mar 16, 2019
    Sammyforthewin and letter like this.
  23. letter
    letter
    Freelance writing is more about knowing business and readership. It’s about making money. Most of the freelancing jobs are for where most people tend to congregate towards, thus earning your clients money through ad revenue or other sources..
    Mar 16, 2019
  24. letter
    letter
    So that kind of writing, you have to curtail and formulate to be palatable and easily consumed by the masses. Add in just enough flavour to keep them interested, but not so much that will turn your targeted audience away
    Mar 16, 2019
  25. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    Thank you so much! That means a lot to me that I'm able to help remind you and inspire you toward the art of writing beyond just writing. Both of your comments have a sense of Woolf in them when I read them and phrases such as "feat of miracles" "explaining colors to the blind" and "unleash the substance trapped in others" have me going all :D right now.
    Mar 16, 2019
  26. letter
    letter
    Yeah, it’s a tough thing to really judge. There’s all kinds of objectives one can accomplish with writing. It’s like...you can be concise, informative, imaginative or impactful. But you can only pick 2, maybe 3...depending on your skill.
    Mar 16, 2019
  27. letter
    letter
    The spirit of writing is alive inside your words, so ofc, it’s going to transmit some of what you have over to me :)

I was just listening to Woolf, she had some profound insights :o
    Mar 16, 2019
  28. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    Alright. I've been considering starting to make money with my writing on the side, but I have no idea where to start or even begin. Perhaps you can give me a few tips on how to do that.
    Mar 16, 2019
  29. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    Aww, that means a lot to me when you say that my words have the spirit of writing. Did you enjoy it? Woolf always has profound insights into what she's writing. She's one of the few writers that I find something new in the meaning and structure of her words every time I re-read her. Her words always have new echoes, memories, and associations every time I re-read something she wrote.
    Mar 16, 2019
  30. letter
    letter
    Yeah, I’m going to have another listen to her another day when I’m set for doing some writing. She reminded me of many things I found through my own meditations which have rested peacefully asleep in my heart for many years.
    Mar 16, 2019
  31. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    That's good to hear. I actually need to do that sometime since I remember hearing that before I read something and it made me think so much about the words that I was reading- about their own mind and life and the choice of the words themselves.
    Mar 16, 2019
  32. aspiringwriter1997
    aspiringwriter1997
    And what're those things that you've found? I'd like to hear them sometime if you want to share them- unless they're treasures so closely guarded that you don't want to lose them.

(Seriously, I wish NoFap didn't have character limits sometimes)
    Mar 16, 2019