1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

12 Step program applied to staying up late.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Don Gately, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Don Gately

Don Gately Fapstronaut

After a great conversation with my buddy yesterday, we realized that the 12 Step program could totally work for the tangential but (for me) longstanding and highly annoying and counterproductive vice of staying up late. I think this is going to help me immensely. I've had problems with this for almost 20 years now and have never characterized it as an addiction, but it has the right attributes to be treated that way. Best of all, when I put the problem in this perspective, I got that little feeling of encouragement and "this could work!" thoughts that I think are the best indicator that I'm on the right track.

What ways have you found to help you get to bed at a reasonable time?

Has anyone else struggled with this for a really long time and felt that it was an addiction?

We are both relatively responsible and effective at work, and we think there is an element of "this is my time to do whatever I want" late at night that isn't very helpful. We're both single, too, so we don't have the obligations of kids or a wife to cater to at night. All of those are factors that can obviously lead to PMO as well. I've thankfully made it for a few months clean now, but I think that learning how to sleep responsibly is another thing that will help me stay clean.

There's a verse in the LDS scriptures that says:
    "Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.

And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace." (D&C 88:124-125)

I'm trying to use that as my general guideline.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015