1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

45 Mass Shootings in the USA This Year

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IGY, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGY

IGY Guest

Tragically, ten people were shot dead in Oregon today. What will it take for this country to introduce strict gun control?

ChristopherMarriott, Calm and Jae like this.
  2. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

Here we go again

Jehu2077 and Calm like this.
  3. Indeed a tragedy. However gun control isn't the solution. People that reach this point of destruction would only use other means to carry through with whatever possesses their minds to do this.

Knight Solaire, Calm and himmelstoss like this.
  4. IGY

IGY Guest

I disagree shadow. We have strict gun control in my country (Europe) and this is rare, by guns or any "other means".

Calm likes this.
  5. Guns don't kill people. Gun control doesn't need to be stricter. We need to make sure that guns down fall into the hands of the mentally ill. I don't know if you live in the U.S. or not , but here we have something called the 2nd amendment or the right to bear arms. Look it up if you want to know more about it.

6. Jae

Jae Fapstronaut

Guns do kill people. They are the instruments of the person behhing it. They deliver that final blow that ends someone's life.

There is no such thing as control in the US. They can ban or outlaw whatever they want, but if people really want it, they will find the means to get it.

7. IGY

IGY Guest

No. As I said, I live in Europe. Yes, I know about the 'right to bear arms'. I am suggesting that, that amendment needs to be reconsidered. As the President said, yours is the only advanced country where this happens time and time and time again. It's obvious that strict gun control would stem this slaughter. How many more innocent people have to die this way?

HippyMinstrel likes this.
  8. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

Europe isn't a country and you can't even stop salafis from rioting and beating up random people.

Calm likes this.
  9. IGY

IGY Guest

Don't be a pedant. I meant my country is in Europe. :rolleyes:

The second part of your comment I do not even understand. :confused:

10. Spidey2Dope

Spidey2Dope Fapstronaut

Gun control will not work. Criminals will get guns no matter what. Look at drugs. Those are illegal but where there is a demand for something there will be supply. Plus if someone is gonna murder someone and there are no guns it's not going to stop them. They will bash, stab or whatever else. Personally if someone wants to kill me I'd rather be shot then pummeled or stabbed to death. When gun control comes up I always bring up Ted Bundy. Ted Bundy never used a gun and killed many women, they believe the number to be in the hundreds. if you don't like guns and don't want them good for you, but in our constitution the right to bear arms isn't for hunting but to protect ourselves from foreign and domestic threats. so if out government or another nation invades our country they will have a lot harder time trying to take it over unlike Europe.

11. theDoctorSmith

theDoctorSmith Fapstronaut

With stricter laws, that does not happen. In countries where there are gun control laws, you do not see as many mass killings related to gun violence. This is, strictly speaking, limited to countries where there is a stable government and a semblance of democracy. Sure, other crimes happen and people continue to kill each other, but not mass shootings with the same frequency as the US.

You do realise that right can be amended or repealed, right?

12. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

You do realize most Americans do not want it to be amended or repealed right? Just the usual suspects thinking their political science degrees mean they know what's best for the whole country.

Indignation likes this.
  13. theDoctorSmith

theDoctorSmith Fapstronaut

Definitely. That's for you'll to decide. I am talking of what ought to be, not what is.

The second amendment was passed in 1790's, a couple of years after you gained independence, to maintain a militia to protect your country (I haven't read about the historical context in which the second amendment was passed. A friend who did implied the above). Today, you have one of the biggest armies in the world and the most sophisticated technologies. In my humble opinion, you no longer need the second amendment and it should be repealed.

14. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

I want the militia back.

Indignation likes this.
  15. DogDaysOfLife

DogDaysOfLife Fapstronaut

Guns will always "fall into the hands of the mentally ill." We tend to only hear about mental illness when a crime happens, but large percentages of people deal with things like anxiety, depression, and personality disorder. Being diagnosed doesn't in itself make them dangerous to themselves and others. Probably the most dangerous aren't

But I don't think literal mental illness isn't the root issue here. It's more of a social illness -- social alienation. Some people have no hope for themselves and no care for others. They only care about the spectacle. Media (mainstream and alternative, e.g. 4chan) are ultimately part of the problem. They repeat the numbers but can't fathom the destruction.

16. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Clearly a lot more. :( I don't know when Americans will wake up and smell the coffee. In no other first world democratic country do you get such emergence of gun related violence. Why? Because other countries have significantly stricter gun control policies. I.e, it is illegal to bear firearms without a license, and to get a license you must prove that you are using your firearm for legitimate purposes (ie hunting, clay shooting etc). You must also prove that you have no history of mental illness, and that you have no previous criminal convictions.

This idea that guns will still get into the hands of the misguided is a bit naive. I mean yes, of course it happens, but the likely suspects are accounted for because you already have a consistent system in place to reduce violence. Your likely suspects are then reduced to known criminal groups (in New Zealand it's gangs, not sure about elsewhere). The majority of criminal activity regarding weaponry, certainly in New Zealand, is well known to police, it's just a case of accumulating enough evidence in order to get a warrant.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people". Well yes, but how do people kill other people? In America, it's with guns, allowing the assailant to wipe out multiple people at a time. In New Zealand, England or France for example, you'd have to resort to using a knife, your fists or some other kind of weapon. Why exactly does everyone need to be carrying around guns in America? It's your right, maybe, but why? What is the point? What is the use?

In my opinion, nothing will happen regarding this issue, unless America elects a democratic President and a democratic Senate. Barrack Obama has already stated that trying to convince the American government of introducing tighter gun controls has been one of the most infuriating aspects of his second term. At the moment, he's essentially a lame duck president.

Anyways, the gun supporters are like addicts in denial, they're fish in water! :rolleyes:

bandanana and Calm like this.
  17. nick330

nick330 New Fapstronaut

In my opinion there is more wrong than gun control. Granted guns are one of the easier ways to hurt a lot of people fast, but it seems like there are stabbings all the time in the news, and that's even without crazy tight gun control laws. If the laws were more strict, only the criminals would have guns. Just like drugs. Law abiding folks don't have drugs, honestly I wouldn't even know where to go to find illegal drugs. i am quite certain, even in the rural town I live in, that people are addicted to drugs and can obtain them, and I know in more populated areas it is even more likely.

18. Spidey2Dope

Spidey2Dope Fapstronaut

You say we have the biggest army and the most sophisticated technologies and that may be true. But if our government turns corrupt (which I believe it already is) and becomes totalitarianism or authoritarian as it seems to be trying to do slowly but surely, we will need our 2nd amendment to protect ourselves from our government or foreign threats. I don't like the idea of kneeling to authority and letting them walk over me. This is something other countries don't understand until it's to late and their government no longer becomes their friend. When all these countries get over run by corrupt politicians they are powerless and resort to throwing rocks and tearing down their communities. Then they cry for our help because they can't do anything themselves because they don't have the firepower to take back their country. If you are fine with being "friends" with your government that's fine but when they start crushing your neck with the bottom of their boots you will wish you had guns. Don't deny it doesn't happen because it happens all the time. Ask Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse-tung they will tell you gun control works. Seeing you say we need our amendment repealed shows me you don't understand how governments slowly take over their country. They start with the rights that people have to fight back against their government then start to make it so you don't have freedom of speech and so on. Then you are left with a dictatorship. Like I said ask all the dead dictators if gun control works and they will say YES! Then those countries called upon use to help bring down the regime because they couldn't do it themselves with just rocks and sticks. Good day sir.

19. Spidey2Dope

Spidey2Dope Fapstronaut

Lol read my last post. Ask Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse-Tung if gun control works. When your government turns corrupt what will you do to protect yourself? Rocks and Sticks. Or are you gonna ask for another country like America to come and save you because you are defenseless and can't stand up to their army? I know what you will say ooooh but our government won't do that Hahahaha. History likes to repeat.

20. Immor

Immor Fapstronaut

How come this is such a problem recently? That didn't use to be the case. What is wrong with people these days? Why do so many have mental issues?
    I would like that figured out and fixed instead of tighter gun control and less freedom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.