1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to get rid of dandruff?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Rose_123, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Rose_123

Rose_123 Fapstronaut

Hello.
    I wanted to ask you about any common way to eliminate or reduce dandruff. I tried different shampoo, I even washed my head with just water for some period of time...
    Cold showers also won't help much, I have greasy hair in general and it's quite a problem in my case...

2. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

It's amazing that people don't normally consider what you put into your body affects what your body puts out - in this case, flaky skin on the scalp.

Dandruff is a specific case of dermatitis, an inflammatory skin condition. On a skin surface without a cover of hair, you would see red, inflamed skin with a few small loose skin flakes (this is essentially dandruff). As the scalp is mostly covered by hair, you don't see this on the head. But it is the same condition.

Scalp inflammation is more common than face or neck inflammation because any buildup of problematic compounds is held there by the hair follicles.

Sputnik's Foolproof Method to Rid Yourself of Dandruff

1. Get some sun on your head, and scalp if possible.
    Dermatitis is usually caused by yeast. Direct sunlight stops its growth and often kills it.

2. Stop eating dairy.
    Unfortunately, modern farming methods mean that you are ingesting lots of hormones with your milk, cheese or yoghurt. These, unsurprisingly, cause inflammation. I know of people who stopped eczema or dermatitis just by cutting out dairy. (You can reintroduce it gradually later if you want).

3. Start eating better in general.
    Fruits and vegetables. Omega-3 fats reduce inflammation of all kinds. So oily fish is a good bet. Well nourished skin will look after itself.

4. Try to use shampoos without SLSs or parabens.
    If you have to use commercial dandruff shampoos like Neutrogena T-Gel to get over a really bad case of dandruff, that's fine. But just make sure it's temporary, and then switch to something like Maui Moisture, or your local equivalent.

Start with these steps and see how you get on. Lifestyle changes are the best way to fix dandruff, because whether you know it or not, bad lifestyle factors are what caused it. Give it a month and report back.

Source: Having dandruff since my teens, which then evolved to seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and nose. I have been free of both for about two years.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    silex_jedi, MikeyRamirez and Rose_123 like this.
  3. MikeyRamirez

MikeyRamirez Fapstronaut

Do not ever pour hot water or even lukewarm water on your head. It should be atleast cold if not ice-cold.
    Also, oil your scalp, it nourishes.
    For me, dandruff is a seasonal problem. Only winters thing. And people around me are also very understanding and supportive. They think of it not as bad hygiene or anything. They look at it as inevitable issue.
    All those shampoo commercials have projected it as a very big problem.

Rose_123 likes this.
  4. HellDevil69

HellDevil69 Fapstronaut

Take some oil preferably coconut oil and mix in it a half lemon...mix the mixture well.

Apply on your scalp...let it stay for minimum 30 minutes minimum

Then wash your hair using shampoo

You will see the result after first wash only

I have personally done it and it removed my dandruff

Rose_123 likes this.
  5. I used Phytoral shampoo, u can get it at drugstores..
    1month treatment (two to three times a week) then use it as a regular shampoo afterwards (once a week)

but natural treatment is not bad either.. just need more patience i guess, i tried aloe vera applied for awhile before washing hair, but a lazy me found twas a lot of work

ndaty and Rose_123 like this.
  6. MrBondUK

MrBondUK New Fapstronaut

Yeah can vouch for coconut oil (didn't try lemon though). Just be careful since coconut oil can make your bath or shower basin very slippery

HellDevil69 and Rose_123 like this.
  7. Rose_123

Rose_123 Fapstronaut

Thanks for all advices guys. I will definitely try that coconut oil. Today I washed my hair with cold water after using some anti-dandruff shampoo. I actually have a buzz cut, so I can manage my hair a little bit better because of that.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. HellDevil69

HellDevil69 Fapstronaut

Let us know how that coconut oil + lemon mixture worked

Rose_123 likes this.
  9. kirostan

kirostan New Fapstronaut

have you tried contacting a trichologist?

10. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

How often do you wash your hair? It depends on hair type but between once a week and every other day is probably best. Every day is too often.

You should also be brushing/combing your hair once a day. If you like the scruffy look you can always mess it up again afterwards. Or brush right before bed. I have a tendency to beard dandruff and using a little beard comb every day really helps. Together with a gentle beard shampoo and beard balm and it is under control.

11. Chananain

Chananain New Fapstronaut

I understand, I usually wash my head every day, and I can't take it anymore. I have susceptible skin on my head, which is why, with any undesirable ingredients in the shampoo, I begin some incredible stage of dandruff when I have my whole head in it. The doctor advised me to order a special shampoo without allergens for mcdaidpharmacy.ie and I'm still waiting for my scholarship to do it. I hope that it will help me because I'm already tired of experiencing this incredible discomfort when interacting with people when they see my hair in such a terrible state

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  12. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

I used a shampoo named Phytoral, as a treatment, it helps in reducing!

13. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

Omg, i think it was still me who wrote that, my deleted account:D