1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody here believe that the Earth is flat?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. So can you please give a detailed explanation on why the bottom 'fades' away first and how does the sun does the same thing?

2. todaysresolution

todaysresolution Fapstronaut

if youre looking on top of water im assuming youre imagining a sunset over the ocean, the water vapors mirage the perspective and make it look that way

dont assume i am some kind of scientist who knows every answer in detailed form of course i dont know everything but that doesnt mean ifs not real

if you think the earth spins but perpetual motion is impossible and i asked you to explain that or any other difficult question you wouldnt know either

i just want you to look into it if you want
    if you arent interested in the concept then this isnt the thread to view
    i really just want people viewing this thread to consider the idea and research it

im not going to answer every question because i dont know how to explain everything nor does anyone here

3. So basically you assumed that it works and never looked to it and never learned about it enough to understand.

Atmospheric refraction actually makes the earth look more flat so we can see further away.

[​IMG]

This video explains how the image curves:

Here to see it in action:

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Most likely some form of protestant Christians that take the whole bible literally. those are usually the types that I try to avoid

5. Laina

Laina Fapstronaut

6. todaysresolution

quite flat indeed
    trusting common sense is useful

7. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

Eratosthenes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes#Measurement_of_the_Earth's_circumference

There is no "common sense" in believing that the Earth is flat. People figured this out thousands of years ago and there is zero evidence that shows that we're wrong about the shape of the world.

I don't know why anyone who has a clear view of the horizon or access to the internet/library/some other repository of knowledge would believe otherwise. If this has to do with not trusting the government, I've seen that attitude plenty of times before, often connected with baseless theories. Sure, they lie and misinform, but what does that have to do with this? I don't think even N. Korea is capable of the level of brainwashing that it would take to make us all see a flat world as round.

I don't understand your perspective (assuming you're not some kind of Master Troll...that I could get up to a point), but that's okay. People from both sides have put forward what they see as compelling evidence. As free thinkers we can come to our own conclusions.

Speaking of thus, here is historical footage of one of the most heated debates in history of the topic that leaves little room for doubt as to which side is correct.

8. todaysresolution

everything you see is flat how is that not common sense?
    does water curve or hold on to a circle? gravity
    can you walk up walls? gravity
    rivers run downstream long ways and are fresh water why isnt the ocean falling back info the stream if its a sphere
    do you see curvature anywhere when you look outside
    do you feel volatile movement?

every comeback would be some scientific phrase made up to prove the earth a sphere like gravity inertia relativity etc

that is not observed but rather random mathematic equations based on bogus variables

9. AlienOverlord

AlienOverlord Fapstronaut

So you're throwing out all the consistently measurable variables that contradict your viewpoint? There are so, so many ways that you can test gravity using mathematical equations.

I also don't think that you grasp the size of our planet. We're not going to see curvature because it's too small in too wide an area for us to detect. Even in the middle of the ocean where things like elevation and uneven terrain are removed from the equation, you can look all around and see only the ocean. Where's the land? If the Earth were flat, then with a good line of sight, maybe a telescope, you should be able to see land and other sea vessels in whatever direction you look.

Speaking of the ocean why doesn't it just fall off? Well, do you see any "down" for it to fall toward in space?

Volatile movement? If you're referring to the rotation and revolution of Earth around the sun, we're all moving at the same speed with it. There is equilibrium between force of movement and gravity that keeps everything together.

What about space shuttle landings? They essentially had to circle the planet so that they could maintain a controlled landing and glide back down. And all the while they had to make sure that they would accurately hit that little landing strip when starting up from space. That takes some serious math that has to take the curvature of the planet into account or it would never work.

Stars and their consistent movement through the sky and, that there are stars and constellations that are only visible from either the upper or lower hemisphere.

The moon itself. Look at it with a quality pair of binoculars. That sucker is round. So why would the Earth be so dramatically different in shape?

While typing this I looked into some of the beliefs surrounding this flat earth viewpoint. I really get the sense that those who buy into this are far too willing to throw out facts that have been observed and studied for millennia along with all the more recent evidence such as photos from space. So I don't know what I or anyone can say or present. Fly a plane around the world from high altitude and watch as things in front come up from the horizon and things in back go down?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018