1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Atheist Point of View

A group of agnostic and atheist fapstronauts to get come together chat about recovery.

1. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

@SuperFan Fair points. The main point your getting at is that atheism and finding meaning/purpose in life are mutually exclusive? I don't think that's true, but if it is I may be in some other category. I accept the cold logic behind my existence whilst still finding solace albeit in my own mental prison. I am expressing my contentedness within the parameters of world that has no meaning. I still have intrinsic human values that would cause me to advise against suicide and in favor of love and the other positive entities mentioned, but for me the perspective is derived from the enjoyment of what life has to offer as opposed to a higher purpose. Yes it's all meaningless, yes the satisfaction stems from mental processes accounted for via science and nothing more, however value exists in my acceptance and understanding of how I see my existence. This is the meaning I have made up in my own mind to be satisfied in the world that has no meaning... Kind of paradoxical I suppose.

muhagg likes this.
  2. truthseeker17

truthseeker17 Fapstronaut

I think this thread might be moved to "religion area's".. but I wanna say something about it.
    So you believe in chance... and still stay it's perfection
    You believe you have no meaning yet are full of hope and love towards this life..

This is very confusing sir... something that happens by chance is not perfection, it's not! It's the opposite of perfection, it's chaos. Not that I want to convince you, instead I am challenging you, to explain the many, many and many "perfect accidents" that happend by merely chance. So you are studying now, because you want a decent job, so you can buy a house, marry a girl and live happily. Now If I were to tell you to just sit in your house and wait for the chance getting you a degree, a house and a wife. Don't look ignorant, the chance of this happening is extemely, extremely bigger then the chance of you being randomly dropped in a randomly "perfect" world.

Life does have some meaning to you, if it weren't you would just kill yourself. Life ain't easy to play for fun. Would you go to work for a company, without getting paid? If this sounds crazy, then what you are saying is even more crazier. Living a life without higer goal or meaning. How can you bear the injustice happening in this world, millions are dying, millions are poor, millions are raped, millions are oppressed and face only difficulties. "Lucky" you then, that you are not one of these groups. If I had no higher meaning I wouldn't be able to bear the injustice of one person, let alone millions and billions of people, women and even baby's. I tell you I would end my life immediatly because of the stress and depression I would feel.

I am not promoting suïcidale behavior or thoughts in any way... I used it merely for a example. Anyone having suïcidale behavior or thoughts should seek professional help. It's not normal!

Mankrik likes this.
  3. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

This is correct. I believe the world to be flawed; but I prefer its flaws and love it for what it is. The fact that everything is by chance is what makes it beautiful to me. I don't believe life has higher meaning but that doesn't mean I can't find my own happiness and enjoyment.

I find beauty in the chance and randomness that has produced a life that I can find to be enjoyable. Look around the world is chaos in a lot of respects. However good can't exist without evil. You misunderstand the scope of my belief. I am only talking about my worldview on a broader scale... obviously sitting in my house is not going to get me what I want in life, but I'm not making that claim. Many things are in our control and we need to make a conscious and deliberate effort to attain them.

To me life has no higher meaning. We are here by chance and can only make the most of it. The injustice exists and there is no higher meaning involved. If you can't bear that injustice then you can't bear reality. As pessimistic as that may sound, I believe its the truth and have come to terms with it. I am happy to be alive and am very much looking forward to it. I'm here by chance and there is no higher meaning, but I am fine with that and look forward to getting the most out of life.

muhagg likes this.