Being selfless and taking self-care???

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by damirios, Nov 21, 2016.

1. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Hello everybody!!!

Lately I´m thinking about self-care to help me overcome my PMO addiction. I think that PMO for me and alot of us is a mean to make ourselves feel comfortable when being confronted with discomfort, stress, anger, frustration, fear, rejection etc.
    So in order to handle those feelings I try to find other ways to make me feel better again, like socializing, working out, taking a rest, going for a walk in nature etc.
    I try to take care of myself. Until now I felt that I often tried to please others and this would manifest in trying to be perfect and the "nice guy" instead of fulfilling my needs.
    In one way taking self-care seems to be egoistic, but is that bad? Being egoistic has a negative meaning, but taking self-care and being self-complacent is really important as I think.

On the other hand there is this deep feeling of happiness and gratitude that people feel when helping other needy ones. It´s a feeling that most of us have experienced.

What have you guys experienced so far?
    Do you also feel that PMO was a mean to soothe yourself?
    What do you think is more important? Being selfless, pleasing other people, helping other needy people or taking care of yourself first??

WarriorScarr likes this.
  2. Self-care is not egotistical, being selfish is egotistical. The former is healthy and necessary, and the latter is an inordinate preoccupation with yourself. Self-care would be dressing a wound when you're cut or taking medicine when you're sick. Would you call yourself egotistical for doing those actions? No. Likewise when you take care of emotional wounds and heal on a mental level you're also not being egotistical.

Being selfless requires humility, and as C.S. Lewis stated, "True humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." If you're thinking less of yourself then your actions aren't coming from a place of charity. The golden rule Christ laid out is to treat others as you would like to be treated, so understanding how to love yourself in a healthy manner is paramount to being able to love others in a healthy manner.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  3. mcrcvrng

mcrcvrng Fapstronaut

Yes I'm sure many of us recognize PMO is a way to soothe ourselves, though it doesn't work any better than overeating junk food. Not only is it too much it doesn't have good nutritional value, if any.

Being selfless is NOT pleasing other people. Pleasing other people is still focused on a self, it's just focused on other selves instead of your own self. Nobody seems to think of it this way but it's obviously true.

If we think about what self-care is, it involves your health so it really involves every aspect of yourself. That's also true in a community. And it's not just temporarily feeling better. I think when people really drain themselves it's probably because it's a one-sided relationship, any people pleasing probably has to do with that kind of codependency.

Yes, psychologically it's recognized therapy is to strengthen the ego, but that's not the same as having an inflated ego or being an ego maniac. That's like saying strengthening the body when you're sick, it's not like someone who works out for the cosmetic benefits alone.

4. Frühlingstimme

Frühlingstimme Fapstronaut

I can already feel the tomatoes flying towards me.

Screw others, I think only of myself. If everybody cared for his own problems the world would be better. Christianity taught all wrong. You forget your own needs to be nice, to please others, then you solve their problems. Because you spent so much energy helping others now you need help and need someone to look after you -- and people often do not repay good deeds.

I spend a lot of time on this website helping people and giving insightful comments yet when the bar presses me I can only count on myself. And I acknowledge that helping others feel good for who is helping, but most time when you help someone, you rob him of an opportunity to fail and learn by his own mistakes.

When I help people, I try my best, but it's not for them. It's for me. So I can feel better about myself. I think it's a must for everyone to look after his own needs first, so I can be stronger, to help even more people.

The |E|volutionary likes this.
  5. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Thank you for your anwers guys!!!

I think that you all made good points. And no @Frühlingstimme , I won´t throw any tomatoes...
    For me sometimes it is difficult to draw the line between taking care of myself and being selfish. I often feel there is the pressure from outside to be selfless, taking care of yourself can be taken as selfish.

By helping other people we actually treat them as we want to be treated when needing help, even if we don´t admit it.

I agree with @Stand & Fight that we should love ourselves first to truly love others. That´s something I was missing all these years...