1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying shit you don't need

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Anne-Dauphine, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Hello friends,

long sorry short:
    • I owe my bank 60000 euros of student loan.
    • I need money to live in New York and take my mom to a Japan trip, and I need a lot of it.
    • today was the last day ever someone laughed at me for being fat. Ever. I can't stop myself eating crap, but in order to eat it, I have to buy it. That's what I want not to do anymore. Instead of going out of Sainsbury's as soon as I realised I wouldn't buy anything healthy, I bought shit I purely don't need and ended up eating 750 calories in 2 minutes and getting mocked at by the cashier. I refuse this.

My question is, as off topic as can be: HOW NOT TO BUY SHIT YOU DON'T NEED? And how to stop thinking you need it?

I have already tried noting down everything, but it doesn't work for me because being forced to write everything and be entitled to do it annoys me beyond words. I also will ask for either nothing (absolutely nothing) for my birthday, or a typewriter, as these two things are part of my three things I'll do plan.

If someone has any advice or online resources about it - free if possible, I don't really see myself buying something about how to spend less - I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks for reading!

2. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Fapstronaut

Calculate how much money you spend on stuff you need each month (Also include stuff like movies, books etc in this)
    Ask someone you trust (parents, siblings etc) to open an account dedicated for you. Deposit all the rest of your funds to this account every month as soon as you get your income in your account.
    I think this should do it, because youre not gonna ask your mom to wire you 10 euros to buy some ice cream right?

3. Thank you so much for your answer! So, stuff I need includes student hall rent, food, basic self care, and mobility, right? And the rest is not vital, but sometimes needed? I have an immense tendency to rationalize about how something is wanted/needed...

I'm not sure I understand, sorry. For now, I have one bank account where my parents deposit some money every time I don't have some anymore. It's all I get, I don't have any incomes.

4. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Fapstronaut

Well, if you dont have any income it is kind of hard to save for a Japan trip Im afraid.
    The point I was trying make in my post is that you need a budget. You have some costs like rent etc that you have to pay and then you have some costs that perhaps arent necessary to survive, but is nice, these are the costs that you can decide on how high they should be.
    The thing is though, that youre going to have to plan in advance

5. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

I wish I knew how to not spend money on stuff I don't need. Extra cash doesn't last long in my vicinity (somehow).
    Lately, the strategy has been, 1. Receive paycheck. 2. Pay bills. 3. Buy food and gas. 4. There is nothing left.
    This is much, much better than, 1. Receive paycheck. 2. Pay bills. 3. Oh Sh*t.
    When "Oh Sh*t" has happened in the past, we got a nice reminder that tasty meat and fresh produce, bakery and dairy goods can be lived without.
    That's NOT a good way to save money, just a perspective check.

So I would say, obtain some income and find ways to hide it from yourself, like having two accounts, one for your living expenses and another for savings. Try your best to avoid accumulating more debt. That's going to come back to bite you. But if you have no income of your own, that's going to make it really hard to make progress.

6. About the trip, this is a life goal, same for New York, I perfectly am aware that I only might be able to do it in 50 years, I don't care, all I know is that I'll do it.

Yeah thanks, I think I'm going to do a budget with my parents so they know my motivation and know exactly how much money send me and nothing more.

I definitely am looking for a job next year. I also want to start to sell my art stuff. I also am thinking of a special bank account with all my savings. Actually I think I already have it so it's perfect. The "more debt" part is the hardest imo.

But when I think about it, everything concurs; paying back my debt, becoming more minimalist, eating less but higher quality food.

Thank you so much for your advice, MUCH appreciated!!!

7. Not Harvard, but central Saint Martins, which is pretty much the same ;_; Thanks, it's not the first time someone advise me that book, I'm going to read it.

8. Erboinq

Erboinq Fapstronaut

Leave all cards and cash at home when you go out, unless you intend to buy something specific. If you do, bring only the cash you need for it.

Always buy food in small bunches (e.g. daily) rather than in big loads. Bring nothing but a fiver or a tenner with you -- you figure how much you need. That's all you're allowed for the day.

The only time your cards leave the house are when you need them to get money from the bank. Trips to the bank are solo trips. Home-bank-home. Don't go anywhere laden with cash.

Always walk everywhere. If you can't carry it home, you've bought too much shit. Plus, if you know there's a walk ahead of you, you may reconsider going out at all.

9. Rewired

Rewired Fapstronaut

Anne-Dauphine, the moment I start telling myself I have to be careful with money, and can't afford any luxuries, is the same day I will go out and buy an expensive item of clothing that I can't really justify.

The budget idea is awesome. If you can put a little money aside for treats, all the better. Psychologically, it takes a lot of mental effort to walk into Sainsburys thinking 'I can't have that, I can't have that, I can't have that'. Try walking into Sainsburys and thinking, on repeat: 'New York, Japan, debt-free, healthy body' and see if your purchases change.

10. Niroso

Niroso Fapstronaut

What are you studying and are you almost done with it? And I would start looking for a part-time job now if I were you, don't wait until next year. 60k debt is massive and is only gonna be more and more the longer you wait with paying it off.

11. Y'all give such AMAZING advice, thank you so muuuuuch, wow I'm so grateful, it means the world to me.

Niroso: I'm studying Fine Arts abroad. Lololol. Basically the most expensive combo. I just ended Stage 1, I still have two years left, I was maybe thinking of doing a Master afterwards but I'm less and less sure. I have applied to Erasmus, I'm mildly considering cancelling it, I don't know if the benefits I'll get from it will be bigger than the money I need for it.

I do absolutely want to look for a job. Problem is that I'm in transit right now, I'm desperately waiting to be able to go home, I'm coming back in London on September 6 (my birthday woohoo) and I'll have a bit less than a month without starting Stage 2. Also, that's where I realize I still have a layer of social anxiety. Applying for a job not in my mother tongue, having to sell myself... It sounds terrifying.

Erboinq: leaving cards at home is an excellent idea. I think I may have tried it already, super effective. Yeah, I usually bought my food in big loads, now I think that I'm just going to buy more every time I have none left - and of course in my budget's limit. Only issue I have in mind is that the money on my card is in euros as I'm French. If I'm getting cash from an ATM, I'm pretty sure it's more expensive than paying with my card because of transactions. This is not rationalization I'm afraid. About the walk, I'm doing it already, it indeed is effective.

Rewired: I appreciate your insight a lot, I can relate to it. I'm TOTALLY seeing it this way from now on. This is kind of like a mantra, I love it!!

12. Rewired

Rewired Fapstronaut

Hope it works for you.

Hey, you're almost at 170 days! That's amazing! Well done :D

13. Geyser

Geyser Fapstronaut

Anne,

Start by reading the book "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George S. Clason. It's been in print for years. you should be able to find a copy at your local library It's a short read. You can get through it in an afternoon. As for Sainsbury's (a supermarket?), there is a reason for everything they do. There is an actual science to it. Stay on the perimeter of the store. All the staples are on the outside walls. Vegetables, meat, dairy, etc are on the outside walls. Spend as little time in the middle aisles as possible. Also never go grocery shopping hungry. Just do an online search for shopping strategies or money saving shopping tips. As for clothing and all other extras that is just willpower. If you can't afford it, you don't buy it. Admittedly this is easier said the done. But this is how our parents and grandparents lived. Credit cards and predatory lending are fairly new phenomenons.

14. monvoyage

monvoyage Fapstronaut

Hello Anne-Daphne

I believe that in life some principles exist, that you can use to your own advantage. And these principles apply to every area of life. One of these principles is the principle of limitation. It is one of the most wonderful things in this world because it gives you freedom. I know this sounds a little bit weird that limitation gives you freedom, but that really is the case - as long as it is self-limitation.

I'm sure you already have experienced this. Just think of nofap! Your limiting your self to not masturbate and what you get is the freedom of not having to think about fapping all the time. It gives you control over your life. That's the freedom i mean.
    You can use this principle for everything you do. And you will notice that it will actually increase your freedom, despite the fact that limitating oneself sounds a bit frightening.
    For example, I've been limitatin myself in several ways: I'm vegan, i stopped smoking, i don't fap, i don't trink alcohol and i'm really frugal - i spend much less than i earn and save a lot of money. And each of these limitations has made me more free. Free to live up to my own standards, not somebody elses. Free from the need of consumption.

The bottom line is - if you want to reduce your debts you will have to limitate yourself. But thats not a bad thing, not only will you reduce your liabilities, you will also gain a wonderful feeling of freedom. So don't be afraid. Limitation is great!

I learned a lot about the principle of limitation at the bauhaus university in weimar, where i took a summer school on design basics. And I can tell you now - limitation is also one of the most important principles when it comes to design and art. Working with little (for example using only black dots on white ground) will make you see how much possibilities you actually have, the freedom of creating great art with little.
    I believe this was also one of the most important reasons why the Bauhaus movement became so strong and important. They had like nothing. They had hardly enough to eat. But they used the limitation for their advantage and became the most influential Art/Design-Movement of the 20th and 21st century.

and another thing: consider making your masters at a university without tuition fees. For example, here in austria studying is generaly free of charges for every Eu-citizen. And we have some good art universities, for example in vienna.

simplicity is another word for self-limitation. Check out zenhabits.net or other new age zen books/websites. They have a lot on this topic.

tl;dr limitate yourself! It will serve you in a great number of ways - most importantly - it will increase your freedom.

i hope this helped you a little

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  15. Mrea99

Mrea99 Fapstronaut

Sometimes we just spend money on things we don't need because we are feeling depressed and spending money makes us feel happier in a false way.
    Until we get the credit card bill or realize we don't have any money.

16. That is some golden quality stuff right here. Imma print it and keep it preciously.

Rewired: Thanks a lot!! I'm so happy aaaaah, only ten days left until my first professional tattoo, saying that I'm overexcited is an understatement.

Geyser: Definitely going to look through it thank you! Yes it's a British supermarket, usually I feel myself drifting to the wrong sections of staying in the fresh veggies and meat ones. And these "brand new super sale" items just in front of the waiting line to pay are the nastiest thing ever. It gives the illusion it's cheap, but when you look at the price per kilo... Nasty business. I hate shiny coloured sweets packs. Haha the problem is that I buy food only when I don't have some anymore, so I don't spoil nor overeat... So I'm always hungry when doing so! Yes the clothing stuff definitely is willpower. That's what I'm cruelly lacking I'm afraid. But that's rationalization. I feel ready.

monvoyage: Bonjour mon ami! Tu parles français? Bienvenue ici en tout cas! I totally feel you, that's exactly what I felt when I quit PMO; doing whatever you want doesn't make you free, true freedom is something else. Discipline, not restriction!

I totally got you. That's what I want to achieve, and I'm starting to lowly but surely understand the process. I don't think I am he kind of person that's able to be frugal all her life, I mean I love possessing stuff way too much, but I finally am starting to understand that I work on it RIGHT NOW to have it LATER. Saving money is so damn new. It's very interesting what you say on design, as an art student this particularly rings a bell. I'm completely torn up between becoming minimalist and worshipping baroque and wunderkammers... Totally me. I don't know yet if I'm doing a Master, I'd like to, but most probably not in London :/ Thank you so much for pointing Austria out!

I love zenhabits a lot, this is the site that convinced me to definitely give up my smartphone. I was forced two days ago to buy a phone, I took the most basic on but man, did I preferred when I didn't had one.

This served me A LOT, merci beaucoup beaucoup mon frère!

Mrea99: Exactly. I'm SO prone to spend when I'm depressed, it's embarrassing. possessing stuff is so comforting. It gives an impression of safety I guess. Why realization is only when it's too late ;_;

Ok so I am keeping what you all said. This is amongst the most valuable advice I ever received wow. This is the kind of stuff they should teach at school. I thought a lot about what you said and did the sacrifice I needed to move on: I gave my favourite par of shoes EVER to my sister. Now I won't buy some more. I'm ready, I'm going to live simply, pay my debt back, take my mom to Japan and live in New York. Oh, and of course, I'm going to be successful.

Thank you do much guys, I'm going away at peace.

17. monvoyage

monvoyage Fapstronaut

I'm positive that everything's gonna work out for you just the way you want it to, as long as you stick to your marvelous attitude!

je parle un peu de français. je l'aprends parce que je veux faire un semestre erasmus à versailles! actually, i have a french exam tomorrow and haven't started learning yet. Any tips for me? :confused: Anyways, ça va marcher!

18. Absolute

Absolute Fapstronaut

Money is all about financing, you have to plan it out. Sit down with yourself and calculate your income (weekly/bi-weekly/monthly whatever).
    I use to buy a lot of useless expenses, from designer clothes, buying weed, and all that jazz! Haha, what I did to stop, I noted down every single dollar I used and after a good week, I really realized where all my money was going, and it motivated me to cut down on spending cash! It's all that simple stuff. What I would suggest you doing is writing a goal when you would need to pay back that 60k, and to fly you and your mom to Japan as well as living in New York! That's about what? 65-70g's?
    Your goal would be when? Lets say 2-3 Years?
    70/36 (36 months/3 years)
    That'd be almost 2 grand a month!
    P.S: Try putting a reasonable sum of your money in your savings every time you get money as well!

Anyways good luck on saving! It was a hassle for me! But we all learn overtime!! Money is infinite!

19. Absolute

Absolute Fapstronaut

Oh! I find eating at home saves you a lot of money too, eating out actually takes a big chunk of everyones dollars!

20. FormerSkeptic

FormerSkeptic Fapstronaut

I like this thread, its actually very relevant.

buying shit you don't need is in many ways synonymous with PMO. There was a quote about man being most happy in the moments before achieving a goal - its the anticipation of gaining something that drives us. When we covet a new car, we imagine what it would be like to own, to drive, to touch. As soon as we have it, we enjoy the mment then quickly move on to the next thing we covet, endlessly moving to a new desire.

If you realise that the joy comes from the desire to own something, you can get pleasure from the desire without needing to resolve it. This means you can covet that car for many years and hold on to your money until you can afford it, and in doing so actually get far more pleasure in the mean time. As soon as you have it, you quickly lose the source of that pleasure until a new shiny item takes its place. The same is true of your goals in life... enjoy the journey, not the destination.

PMO is like having an endless supply of money (or more accurately, an ever burgeoning debt crisis), buying toy after toy, each losing its appeal shortly after, forever chasing ephemeral pleasure but never quite feeling satisfied. Giving up PMO is like investing in yourself, like saving for your dreams, working hard and not taking the easy way out, ultimately gaining true lasting pleasure from your goals, achievements and attainments.