1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Childhood trauma: Don’t be it’s Bitch

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jul 4, 2020.

1. “we are today the sum total of what we've been, ever act , and every deed we makes what we are today good or bad”- Cus D'Amato

Everyone has had a traumatic experience of some kind from child hood, even the kids with loving parents who knew what they where doing. There were times when they did not pay enough attention because the parents had something on their mind or were stressed out. Or they shouted at the kids by mistake. All list of things they could have done by mistake. And lets not forget they are human to, maybe that how they were raised and didn’t know any better, maybe they were not prepared to raise children, or they made a mistake. Even I know there are some problems that I have had that stem from child hood. But they do not hold me prisoner and I don’t blame my parents.

Are there any exceptions to the rule? Yes but they are the exception not the rule. And yes a lot of things that happen in your child hood affect the person you are today. But to use them as an excuse for your depression, anxiety, personality problems, and behavioral problems is a cop out. You are grown men and women who are responsible for yourselves. Not what you parents did or said when you were a kid. Stop blaming them, to be frank it’s fucking childish. You know you problems and have access to the internet, do some research and find out what you need to do to fix yourself.

Every time I failed at something as a child my dad would tell me “so you failed” with a judgmental look and tone. And that fucked with my self-confidence for a very long time but I eventually let it go and replaced the negative self-talk with positive self-talk.

Using positive affirmations. And for a period of time I used it as fuel to try to succeed but I let that go because it still meant that I was being held prisoner by my child hood. Nor do I hold it against him either I know why the way he is, I understand him better. Yes it fucked many other aspects of my life in the past. But that’s just it: tis the past.

There are many successful people who had fucked up child hood, Jim Carrey started telling jokes to cheer up his dying mother. And he went on to being one of the funniest comedians of his generation not to mention the movies. In fact many of my favorite stand up comics had fucked-up child hoods but they used that pain to create art that many people enjoy. Arnold Schwarzenegger used the negativity from his dad to become successful, Mr. Universe, movie star, Governor of State in another country. Some of your favorite musicians, poets, philosopher, painters, actors, entrepreneurs, inventors, etc. had fucked up child hood. But some of them channeled their pain to create while others used it as fuel to achieve what they achieved. So what are you going to do with that pain? Make excuse, feel sorry for yourself, blame, or doing something about it.

I used positive affirmation to change my victim mentality, to look at the positive instead of the negative, to get back up after fairer, deal with most of my anger, and let go some of my trauma. You can do the same. If you don’t believe that you can achieve things despite of those traumas then look at successful people you look up to. I have told you my example, that of others, and given you a tool to use. So tell me what you choice to do, use the pain or be kept prisoner by it? Tell me your thoughts down below.​

2. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

Great post! Love the idea.
    I had some events in the past myself, where I was lonely kid at school getting beat up, where I was exposed to things I shouldn't have. My escape was running to the computer in order to meet my virtual friends that made fun with me , and I was so addicted.
    I think what I was going through actually made me tougher and stronger. I think one should stop running from the past, and face his damn weaknesses. Ever since I started nofap, it helped me. It helped me overcome addictions, it helped me raise my confidence, it helped me to be able to stand up after each time I got down, It helped me to achieve my goals. especially at school where I finished in excellence.
    What really increased my mentality afterwards, is the book "Can't hurt me" and the author of it which I believe you got to know before - is David Goggins. And he had a real fucked up childhood. I can talk about how this book benefited me all day.

I really felt this one, I did it either. My dad was a military man. I was a game addict, I remember telling him about my dream getting to special ops. He was telling me stuff like "You can't do it" "People are preparing for years" "You are socially disabled". I have actually turned it to motivation. I have had a shoulder rotator cuff injury, anxiety background, and a father that doesn't believe in me. After months of training (running, physical therapy) and barely eating any refined sugar if at all (already did for years, but not at that level). I have already reached far in my performance, I am also signed up to a premilitary program. already talked to you about it though. I'm not gonna give the world an easy time, I couldn't even do push ups before, now close to pull ups. I'm getting closer and closer to my dream, David goggins is a voice in my head, Im doing semen retention, been eating healthy everyday. Been in a previous premilitary program already. Nothing will fucking stop me. Nofap has a big part of it, I'm also not fed up with that social media bullshit. People like you are here to solve the most scariest problem called "Unfulfilled potential" which is really valuable in my opinion. I'm also trying to help others reach their maximum goals and potential in life, but it's hard when the other side doesn't listen.
    Had to drop it all out, that relieved me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Deleted Account and Knighthawk like this.
  3. Thank you for sharing. Its good to see people not use their past as excuse to limit their themselves. But instead as motivation. How has your dad reacted since you started your training?

4. Wilde°

Wilde° Fapstronaut

I think he started to appreciate me more but it still doesn't bother him as much.. he is also not a fan of pre military programs, he claims it doesn't help but I think he's afraid of me having success. I know damn well it does help, I believe I already described about the activities and daily life of a person in a military program in a previous post, and seen more than 100 people that's been in one, it definetly changed them. And common sense, when someone makes his own shit, does 4 times of training a week , goes out for journey in the once in a week and learn bunch of survival skills and stuff and learns hell lot of things by people that's been in the most elite units - he must change..
    I don't care whatever he thinks or says, he always tried to make me a comfort pampered kid, I'm working very hard to not be. Guess he'd prefer my ass stuck into the computer again with no life.

5. "There are very few new things in this world, very few. That's why people that are young, if they're smart, try to profit from the experience of an older guy so they won't have to go through all the pain and suffering. But a certain amount of pain and suffer is good, because it makes a person think they've learned." ~ Cus D'Amato
    Thats a quote from Mike Tyson's trainer. Why dont you ask him what would help? he might have some useful advice, you never know.